What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

IMG_0735.PNG A vise I picked up today. Hoping To get it restored. Might start a thread soon asking advice on how to restore it.

And a big ol air compressor tank I'm hoping to turn into a forge.

IMG_0734.JPG

A Tommy puukko (inspired at least, it is flat ground in stead of a scandi bevel)
I find the handle material interesting, it is natural colour linnen with a single darker layer of canvas on the outsides.
Niolox stainless and bronce

IMG_20170909_123350.jpg

A Tommy puukko (inspired at least, it is flat ground in stead of a scandi bevel)
I find the handle material interesting, it is natural colour linnen with a single darker layer of canvas on the outsides.
Niolox stainless and bronce

IMG_20170909_123350.jpg
With progress to fine grit paper color will come , on this knive is the same material .Just sand slowly without much pressure on grind paper . . . . .that way you do not rub the phenolic resin from canvas .
SeUqjiz.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got around to getting an Ulu photographed briefly before giving it to its new owner - CPM154 with a scaled and oxidized surface by request, with black g10 handles, Chicago screws for fasteners. Please excuse the odd flat headed screw.

Oc6zTOC.jpg

I finally got around to getting an Ulu photographed briefly before giving it to its new owner - CPM154 with a scaled and oxidized surface by request, with black g10 handles, Chicago screws for fasteners. Please excuse the odd flat headed screw.

Oc6zTOC.jpg

Looks interesting, how did you do the oxidation?

Looks interesting, how did you do the oxidation?

Thanks! This was actually an experiment with very lightly applied oil, as I'm working in my own kiln. After cleaning, applying oil, but without wrapping the steel in stainless foil, the Ulu went right into the kiln. I have to say that it worked out a little better with 1095, I'll upload a picture later.

My brother asked me to make a knife for the local police chief. He said he "owed him a big favor", ( I can't wait to hear the story). Anyway. The idea is a last ditch kind of backup piece to be worn small of back horizontally. The blade is .196" AEB-L, ground hollow from ricasso to mid on a 6" wheel. The remainder is a flat/ saber to the tip. It's my first hollow ground double edge. He was asking about a straight up dagger, but I thought the practical cutting ability of the hollow ground section might add some utility. The tang is tapered and the G-10 scales are secured with Corby bolts. I still have some handle finishing to do, and may thin it down near the butt.

IMG_20170913_104130008_HDR.jpg IMG_20170913_104119245_HDR.jpg IMG_20170913_104209949_HDR.jpg

My brother asked me to make a knife for the local police chief. He said he "owed him a big favor", ( I can't wait to hear the story). Anyway. The idea is a last ditch kind of backup piece to be worn small of back horizontally. The blade is .196" AEB-L, ground hollow from ricasso to mid on a 6" wheel. The remainder is a flat/ saber to the tip. It's my first hollow ground double edge. He was asking about a straight up dagger, but I thought the practical cutting ability of the hollow ground section might add some utility. The tang is tapered and the G-10 scales are secured with Corby bolts. I still have some handle finishing to do, and may thin it down near the butt.

View attachment 764559 View attachment 764560 View attachment 764561
That's awesome! Having both grinds probably would help add some utility function, as is that thing looks just great. I like the idea of thinning the butt out a little bit, but not by much! What's it hardened to?

I did something similar; made a dagger for a local cop who happens to lead the SWAT team, I don't think I took many pictures of it before I sold it, though. I'll have to look.

But it is not a layer of burned oil, it changed the surface of the steel?
At the temperatures used for hardening the steel, the oil has completely burned away. So what we've got left is a steel surface that's been partially oxidized by hot oil, but mostly by air inside the kiln. I have a feeling that when I try this again without oil applied, the whole thing should look the same shade.

That's awesome! Having both grinds probably would help add some utility function, as is that thing looks just great. I like the idea of thinning the butt out a little bit, but not by much! What's it hardened to?

I did something similar; made a dagger for a local cop who happens to lead the SWAT team, I don't think I took many pictures of it before I sold it, though. I'll have to look.
Thanks for the comments. Hardness is 59RC.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Hardness is 59RC.
Of course, it's a killer design!

I couldn't find much of mine other than the same image I put up on instagram a while ago. I seriously need to be better about photographing work.

3A1wRuQ.jpg

Back