What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Well finally got my shop in order enough so I can grind. Dust evacuation system installed today so ground the first one in it. Heat treated and in the tempering oven right now on its first cycle.
View attachment 775037View attachment 775046 View attachment 775048
View attachment 775049
View attachment 775050 View attachment 775051
View attachment 775053
View attachment 775052
Were did ya get the blower?sucker for your vac system? And what HP is it?? Is it enough to power the system? That looks exactly like what I want to run in my shop

two knives completed: a skinner with a beautiful handle in desert ironwood and a small integral made with Bertie Rietveld dragon skin damascus

20170923_112841.jpg

20170924_122623.jpg

20170918_185154.jpg

20170918_203620.jpg

I'm curious to see what colors will appear ... I purchased the salts in which color the steel.

Were did ya get the blower?sucker for your vac system? And what HP is it?? Is it enough to power the system? That looks exactly like what I want to run in my shop

It's just a harbor freight 1HP dust collector. It gets a lot of the dust out, not all of it. If I had the money I'd put in a larger one, but it's better than none. As you can see from the image, It's a very short distance.

After making a zero clearance insert for my new table saw. I thought why not do the same to my mitre saw. Especially since I bought too much laminate flooring when I renovated our living room.

gkROBCV.jpg

ltBTfMn.jpg

And for something more on-topic. I have a run of 210 mm western gyutos in 14C28N in the works. They've also just been ground. But there will be no HT until next week when I get dry ice. I wish there was a way for me to get hold of LN2, but unfortunately I haven't been able to secure a supplier willing to take non commercial customers.

ctTJnXw.jpg

That looks like a pretty high curvature for a bowl adz. Most of the ones I have used and made are curved somewhere around a 2" to 5" radius ( 4" to 10" circle). My son-in-laws dad made bowls for a living for nearly 20 years, I think all his were low curve, too.

An old oxygen ( or other gas) cylinder (cut the valve end off) or other heavy pipe will work good as a mandrel to shape it on. The cut off tank also makes a great quench tank.

Thanks Stacy. I’ll adjust before heat treat. I’m not a woodworker myself, so I was making my best guess off pictures. Most descriptions only gave blade width and handle length, so I was trying to guesstimate everything else.

Finished wrapping this sitting on the couch tonight. First go a “brute de forge” and first time trying a paracord wrap. I attempted to mimic the wrap style James Helm does. Still need to impregnate the paracord with resin. The blade was forged down from a hunk of bush hog blade a couple weekends ago and I heat treated it yesterday. Second time using the new scotch bright belt to finish the bevel. It’s fun trying out all the different possible ways to do this.
kIQE0wM.jpg

Here is another Bat Wing with a statin finish in A2

G4XTEOI.jpg

iLVKvz1.jpg

If you don't mind me asking what kind of fasteners are those? They don't look like any I've seen but I haven't looked Much Of anything but pins so far so I probably wouldn't know. Lol. Curiosity is getting the best of me.

I would go paring knife and clean it up a little and use it as a test knife for kitchen daily use. When you think it's messed up make it a test knife to improve the design without to much extra work.

In the short time that I have been making knives my garage has been my shop. It has all of the things you would normally see in a garage. Mostly junk that you can't remember why it's there. For a year and a half we have been looking for a home with room for a shop. So far no luck on the hunt for a house. I want to go from making knives as a hobby to part time. So this weekend I finally got off my behind and started to turn the garage more into a shop. No more moving a tool to use another tool only to put it away and use the tool that just got moved.... It's a work in progress.
Oh yeah there's only 2 electrical outlets in the garage. Like I said a work in progress.
IMG_20171016_173717.jpg IMG_20171016_193036.jpg IMG_20171016_192707.jpg

Back