What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

I didn't mention it explicitly yet, but Dad died a while back this year. Tonight working on the computer and setting up shipments and printing packing slips for the first time made me think of him. He took over his father's printing business when I was very young. As long as I'd known him he'd been in the printing business. Even until his death he was my go to for printing because he ran a local shop, and was willing to do the work for me at cost. Very generous, and essentially a donation of his time. Dad was my go to for printing, so I never owned a printer in my entire life. Grew up around them and used some big ones, but never had to set one up on my own at home. It was so easy I wonder why I never did it before.

So anyway, this is how the grown-ups do it, eh? 😊

IMG_2904.JPG

David,

I am sorry to hear about your father passing but I am glad you are able to cherish some fond memories. I wish you and your family well.

- Will

p.s. keep up the good work, that modified nessmuk-looking thing in post #183 looks real handy. I wonder what you would call a machete sized version.

David,

I am sorry to hear about your father passing but I am glad you are able to cherish some fond memories. I wish you and your family well.

- Will

p.s. keep up the good work, that modified nessmuk-looking thing in post #183 looks real handy. I wonder what you would call a machete sized version.

Agreed..... And I think you would call it FUN.

And then there are the ones that I finished but have not offered for sale yet. I am thinking about starting a new thread in my sub forum for "David Mary Deal of the Week", which one of these knives might become a part of.

EDChubster in 15N20 with layered canvas Micarta and twill carbon fiber:
IMG_2847.JPG
IMG_2848.JPG
IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG

Hawkcliffe in 15N20 and twill carbon fiber:
IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2855.JPG
IMG_2858.JPG
IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG

You would call a machete sized version of anything fun. ;)

Mmmmmmm........ Yes I would!

It Would be a cool camp knife though. Ya Have to admit.

I've seen a few big Nessie's being made, and all of them look pretty awesome.

These are going out for heat treatment. All 8670, meaning tough, able to be ground thin, and easy to sharpen. Four filet knives and eighteen six inch overall EDC knives. They are square for now, but will receive their final blade shapes post heat treat. As you can see, anything from a wharncliffe to upswept skinners and everything in between are possible. Blade lengths are between 2 1/2" and 3".

IMG_2906.JPG

These are going out for heat treatment. All 8670, meaning tough, able to be ground thin, and easy to sharpen. Four filet knives and eighteen six inch overall EDC knives. They are square for now, but will receive their final blade shapes post heat treat. As you can see, anything from a wharncliffe to upswept skinners and everything in between are possible. Blade lengths are between 2 1/2" and 3".

View attachment 1653769
Tempting stuff, David. How much time do I have to think about one?

Maybe a few weeks. Plan for these is to make a bunch of them, all a bit different to broaden the appeal, and start offering them a few at a time on the exchange. Of course, I will also happily reserve some for anyone who would like to claim any of them finished a certain way.

Maybe a few weeks. Plan for these is to make a bunch of them, all a bit different to broaden the appeal, and start offering them a few at a time on the exchange. Of course, I will also happily reserve some for anyone who would like to claim any of them finished a certain way.
could you give more info aside from blade length as 2.5 to 3". What's the aprox handle length? what is the aprox max Height of the blade? blade Thickness.

and handle choice materials/colors

*when you get a chance. Thanks.

They are all 6" overall, from 1/8" 8670. As for specific dimensions, there are 18 of them, and they are all a little different. Tallest blade is 1.5" (only one) narrowest is 1 1/8". Most are about 1 1/4".

and handle choice materials/colors

Whoops I missed answering this: Material and color options are ask and I say yes, no, or maybe so. 🤷‍♂️ Not trying to be cryptic or difficult. If someone has a specific design, specs, and/or configuration in mind, it's just easier to email me, and I will answer all. Writing up detailed specs for 18 unique hand made blanks would be a prohibitively time consuming exercise especially when the final configuration of each blade is yet to be realized. Same with trying to list off every handle material I have, or can get. But to make it simple: pretty much anything I have ever used, I can use again.

I forgot to post most recent shop work yesterday, so here are a few pics. Got a couple more blade designs cut out from 1/8" 8670 (two of each of these so far), and ground and started handles on three MagnaCut blades.

IMG_2920.PNG
IMG_2918.JPG

I've received Canada Post delivery notifications for all five parcels I sent out last Friday. Way to go Canada Post you guys rock!

Oh and those two MagnaCutters just got posted to the Maker's For Sale area:

The little skinny one, the EDGE-C is being saved for the man who named that model.

Back