What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

And a really cool design specified by the customer (he changed his mind about handle material and I think this new direction looks fantastic):

View attachment 1546298
View attachment 1546306
View attachment 1546300
View attachment 1546302
View attachment 1546301
View attachment 1546304
View attachment 1546305
View attachment 1546303
View attachment 1546299

This gentleman was kind enough to commission another piece from me, again, according to his own design, which I have to say is quite nice.

IMG_1470.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG

So let's see here. I have an AEB-L machete blank that I had Jarod cut and harden for me, which will not end up fulfilling its destiny. Instead, its handle has just the right shape to accommodate a gentleman's request for a bushcraft knife of a specified shape.

Proposal 1.jpg

What to do with the rest of the big, tough piece of AEB-L, then? Hmmmm.... I'll have to think of something fun.... like

Fighter Sumer 2021.jpg

Naw, that doesn't look like fun at all, does it? :cool:

Oh, and I made this little guy in AEB-L:
IMG_1506.JPG

The sharpie squiggle indicate where I need to remove a bit more material, as the grind is noticeably uneven, which sometimes happens when you grind bevels freehand by eye, like I do. It should be easy enough to fix, and I should have this one cleaned up and ready for the Maker's Market by tomorrow. The handle is blue and black Suretouch, which is quickly elevating itself in my short list of preferred user handle materials. It is tough, completely immune to the elements, grippy, and shock absorbent. It's an absolute win of a handle material, and easy to work with, too.

I also realized I hadn't made any kitchen cutlery in a little while, so here, along with the little guy, is something I started in 15N20 today:IMG_1507.JPG

Pretty close to zero ground, this one. I haven't decided how to handle it yet...

So let's see here. I have an AEB-L machete blank that I had Jarod cut and harden for me, which will not end up fulfilling its destiny. Instead, its handle has just the right shape to accommodate a gentleman's request for a bushcraft knife of a specified shape.

View attachment 1592591

What to do with the rest of the big, tough piece of AEB-L, then? Hmmmm.... I'll have to think of something fun.... like

View attachment 1592592

View attachment 1592597

The sharpie squiggle indicate where I need to remove a bit more material, as the grind is noticeably uneven, which sometimes happens when you grind bevels freehand by eye, like I do. It should be easy enough to fix, and I should have this one cleaned up and ready for the Maker's Market by tomorrow. The handle is blue and black Suretouch, which is quickly elevating itself in my short list of preferred user handle materials. It is tough, completely immune to the elements, grippy, and shock absorbent. It's an absolute win of a handle material, and easy to work with, too.

I also realized I hadn't made any kitchen cutlery in a little while, so here, along with the little guy, is something I started in 15N20 today:View attachment 1592598

Pretty close to zero ground, this one. I haven't decided how to handle it yet...
David you can never go wrong with good old green micarta

View attachment 1592591

View attachment 1592592

View attachment 1592597

I also realized I hadn't made any kitchen cutlery in a little while, so here, along with the little guy, is something I started in 15N20 today:View attachment 1592598

Little black and blue looks like a sweet daily companion blade.

But, that possible, big knife - that's a sleek, ready for something blade. I'm supposed to get back to you about that run of 3/16's AEB-L, but was having trouble deciding on what to commision....that pattern might the one. Guess I will stare at your image and ponder a bit more.

Now we have a little more progress, and also the handle material for a rehandle project I am doing on a gentleman's knife came in partway through the day today as well. So here is what we have at the moment (remember all is still WIP, hence still in the ugly stage):

IMG_1510.JPG

Thanks Timmy! The handle scales are hollowed out, and the stock is .118" with a thin full height grind that leads to a double distal taper. Probably going to name it blue lightning for how light and fast it is.

Thanks TJ! That is Suretouch as well, with white G10 liners.

Guys, where on earth did I put that chef blank??? 🤷‍♂️ :(

Good thing it wasn't for an order.

Now we have a little more progress, and also the handle material for a rehandle project I am doing on a gentleman's knife came in partway through the day today as well. So here is what we have at the moment (remember all is still WIP, hence still in the ugly stage):

View attachment 1593647
Please save a pattern made from the blue handled one! :D

Thanks be to God I found it! Why I put it with my Kydex I have no idea, but that was too much work to just lose.

Back