What's in your kitchen?

I have the Victorinox/Forschner knives, 8" chef, 8" braed, set of five various paring knives, steel, all for less than a $100 dollars, and they work great. -Krumbs

Gala, Costas: I have handled one large Victorinox cook knife with 25cm edge and wood handles. It was so great looking & feeling that I actually gave it as a gift to my brother. It was wery sharp. The blade is thinner than in a SAK and was better finished. It still cuts wery well after four years of use. He has never sharpened it but that thin edge keeps cutting . What bothes me is that it cuts better than most of my kitchen knives and I steel them regularly. Price tag was 60$-70$. I haven't seen this upper end kitchen series since. I don't think that you can go wrong with Victorinox. Every time I visit my brother I wonder why I didn't buy one to me too.

These are my mostly used kitchen knives:
Bunch of Fiskars plastic handled knives(cook, bread, meat, fillet...). Some are good some decent. One 'Form' a more expensive small utility knife of some mobybdenium - vanadium carbon stainless steel. It is all metal welded from three pieces - nice looking. One Sabatier roast knife. A Japanese carbon steel vegetable knife - great but rusts faster than anything I've experienced. A Chinese Chinese cook knife of stainless steel. These all together about 200-300$.

I'm drooling over a Japanese cook knife in my local cook store but it costs only 100$ less than Sebenza and I don't have a Sebenza yet.

[This message has been edited by Tommi (edited 22 September 1999).]

Boker sells a steak knife made in Argentina that takes and holds an edge fairly well- and at about $8 retail list, are hard to beat. All of my other kitchen knives are Wusthof, Henckels (wedding gifts) or gone.

My ex ended up with a set of Chicago cutlery, had problems with it anyway as it was prone to chipping on the edges. My wife and I have had a set of 4 star Henckels for almost 13 years now which has worked fine. It was a 1/2 price set. My better half has thrown out two paring knives by accident though, and we now have a Henckels paring knife as well as a thin 3in Victorinox that I found for less than $5, which works very well. We also have a Cutco 'sharpened spatula' which is handy.

I sliced some vegetables a few months back, comparing my short USMC with a Dozier hunter and the Victorinox, and the Victorinox worked better. I guess now I gotta find a 0.05in thick blade in CPM-10V .... :^)

A few years ago we bought a complete set of David Boye Kitchen Blades. 10" Chef , 8" Chef,6" Chef, 8" Carving, 5' Utility, 3" paring and the 8" Bread knife. My wife said why could I not put some of my knife collection in the kitchen ? We started with the 3 and 5" knives. These are the best blades I have experienced for kitchen work. They hold an edge a long time, are very aggressive cutters, and require minimal strokes, on a medium ceramic to renew the edge. David does a geat job of producing a top grade kitchen tool.No they are not cheap, and I could not have afforded these knives 20 years ago. But I am now 60, and feel I would like to have a few of the fine things in life if possible.

Floyd

No Ginsus (though I have to admit I have caught myself watching the info-mercials late at night, in weaker moments.)
smile.gif

I have Wusthof<sp?> chef's and boning knives and chicago cutlery (or whatever is in my pocket) for the small jobs.

------------------
Pete
"Mishaps are like knives, that either serve us or cut us, as we grasp them by the blade or the handle."

I have my Bushman set for kitchen tasks that might need to be done.

Back