1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Whats in Your Private Stash?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Shaughnessy, May 12, 2012.

1. Shaughnessy

Shaughnessy

Apr 11, 2007
    I think we all have them. That place in the shop where all the special materials go you're hoping to save for a rainy day project of your own. I just added a piece to mine recently. Stuff is pretty cool I think.... What kind of things are in your pile (private stash)...Lets see some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fast14riot

fast14riot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I'm not going to put up what's in my stash, its legal here so don't judge me on that! :p:cool:

Haha, joking aside, at this point every piece I have is potentially for personal use!, but I have some very nice stag still on the skull cap I have been thinking of using.

-Xander

3. tryppyr

tryppyr KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 5, 2010
    I have a lot of stuff stored for personal use... since all my stuff is for personal use.

4. Phil Dwyer

Phil Dwyer KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 28, 2006
    What is that stuff Larry?!

5. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    That's what I'm sayin'! That looks incredible! Double stabilized cholla cactus? I hae no idea but it sure is cool.

I have a few handle material stashes, I really enjoy all the fun stuff we as knifemakers get to work with.

I just made this video last night, this is my handmade scale material stash! My favorite stuff.

[video=youtube_share;FY19Nywuy2g]http://youtu.be/FY19Nywuy2g[/video]

I had a lot of fun on this recent batch with all kinds of scale material.

[​IMG]

Here is my handmade "Felt Camo" my-carta.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. Railrider1920

Railrider1920

Dec 14, 2010
    There is a seed pod from a tree (?) in Australia. it's called banksa I think. I'm sure I spelled it wrong. I bet that is one of those seed pods with acrylic cast into the openings.

7. Shaw Blades

Shaw Blades

May 18, 2009
    That's the stuff ankrom exotics sells, banksia pads. Almost bought some at the Litle Rock show.

8. Kiah

Kiah S&S Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 20, 2006
    That stuffs crazy, Shag. I'm picturing it on something thin and curved. Like a stretched out scimitar with a needle point.

9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I have a "Private Stash" box in the work room. Even my wife knows about it, and teases me.
    It is an antique dynamite box that I stick the pieces of handle material which are for those "special" blades. It is just about full of small elephant tusks, juvenile fossil walrus, oosik, mammoth ivory blanks, and the super 5A handle blocks I get from Mark. I also have some special pieces from Bill Moran and other passed makers which I will use on tribute knives.The box weighs about 100 pounds by now. I'll try and shoot some photos son.

10. Shaughnessy

Shaughnessy

Apr 11, 2007
    Thanks for posting pics guys... My piece is banksia pod from Australia. It was stabilized, and then I sent it down to see Pat at Ankrom. He cast it with some metallic blue resin to fill in the holes.... Pat is the man to see for casting and I highly recommend him !

But the main reason for the post was to see YOUR coveted pieces. The one of kind materials you have hoarded away for that special project........L

11. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket Moderator

Apr 15, 2010
    Some of my private stock of Arizona Desert ironwood and Missouri crotch walnut...

[​IMG]

12. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    You guys are lucky. I barely have a "stash", much less a private one. :(

13. Danbo

Danbo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Bunch of really nice stag, Burl woods, and an ever growing pile of stabilized Koa. :)

14. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket Moderator

Apr 15, 2010
    Go to a major knife show. If you're like me, you'll end up buying killer wood that you don't have an immediate use for, but simply can't pass up. And possibly wind up washing dishes to earn gas money home... :D

15. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I have a block of olive wood burl that I hope to make a fixed blade/folding knife set out of
    A small set of mammoth interiour scales for a folder and a interesting sambar roll
    Those are the best pieces I have and will keep for a while untill I trust myself to them

16. Mike Davis

Mike Davis

Feb 7, 2006
    Here are most of the pieces i have had for a while. There is some mammoth ivory, some hippo tusk ivory, mammoth teeth,musk ox horn,oosic, blacklip pearl, MOP, ironwood, koa, maple,amboyna burl, redwood,walnut and some cool stuff from Craig Stevens....Now i just have to get that tusk from Stacy...
    [​IMG]

17. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Oeh those hippo tusks look good!
    I'd love one of those!

18. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Mike, now that is a proper stash! You have a little of everything that is cool! :D

19. woodwrkr221

woodwrkr221

Jan 28, 2011
    I have perhaps 800 board feet of Cherry that came courtesy of Hurricane Katrina, but it's not knife handle quality. Great for furniture though.

20. A C Richards

A C Richards KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 14, 2006
    Ok, I posted this a bit ago but it seems I might need to add it to this thread.

Here is my haul from the OKCA show the last 2 years. Just a portion of my "private" stash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little bit of everything, well just about.