What's so great about Barlows?

5K Qs

Gold Member

BDubbs

Gold Member
It's a working man's knife, made stronger by the long bolster. Most of the attraction is the nostalgia of an old, storied pattern.
I thought the BF 17 was a great example, sheepsfoot, nail nick and micarta handle. It was meant to be a working knife that got filed down over years and years to a thin strip of a blade. I didn’t care for them initially but I’ve grown to appreciate them.
F82A885D-4CBD-422F-9F16-F9E9F9119D85.jpeg

Misplaced Hillbilly

Gold Member
jq8U4Ic.jpg

E9NAX0T.jpg

l0nRApY.jpg

UNATTRACTIVE!!?? :eek:

Dr-Mabuse

Gold Member
Yeah I'm right there with you. I keep trying them and I keep letting them go. I really don't like the way the long straight bolster feels in hand either.
I think they became fashionable because they're of particular interest to a couple of upstanding porch members.

Misplaced Hillbilly

Gold Member
Dr-Mabuse Dr-Mabuse
I liked them pretty well before I ever knew of the porch or of GEC. I've had a daddy barlow since I was 10 when I inherited it from my uncle. As a kid I loved reading Huckleberry Finn and always wanted a regular "sure nuff barlow" however I never could find one back then. Then in my 20's I got into Kershaw and Gerber tacticals and didn't look at traditionals for quite awhile. Now that I'm into traditionals I've aquired several barlows, still no GEC ones though. But honestly that's what is so great about traditional knives, there's a pattern to suit just about everyone. :):thumbsup:

afishhunter

Basic Member
I think they became fashionable because they're of particular interest to a couple of upstanding porch members.
Long lived porch members.
The Barlow pattern dates to 1670 https://coolmaterial.com/feature/barlow-knife-history/ and has always been popular.

Even General President George Washington carried a Barlow.
(No doubt more than a few of the other "founding fathers" carried one, as well.)

What's so great about them? Well ... how about low cost, they're rugged/durable, and they work for pretty much any cutting task that may rear it's not so pretty head?

Last edited:
Native XF ad, Below bottom BC