What's so great about Barlows?

What's so great about Barlows? They're knives! That's all it takes for me...

kZ6Qdhc.png

-Levine's Guide to Knives and their Values - 4th edition
-Knives and Razors - a periodical by Jim Sargent- several editions.
-The Best of Knife World - several editions
-U.S. Military PocketKnives - Michael Silvey
The list is endless!!:)

Charlie, I was able to pick up Levine's 4th and 5th edition as a pair recently. I can't see too much difference between the two other than the paper of the pages. Is there a reason the 4th edition is more desirable ?

Charlie, I was able to pick up Levine's 4th and 5th edition as a pair recently. I can't see too much difference between the two other than the paper of the pages. Is there a reason the 4th edition is more desirable ?

I think Levine's 4th is regarded to be more accurate with info and pricing

The antique knife pricing is way more accurate (for the period), but basically most of the writing was copied. There were some silly changes. I got rid of my 5th quite a while back, and don't remember most of it. Bernie Levine put a lot of research into the subject, but the publisher screwed him on the 5th, and gave it to someone else to do inane changes (read, cheaper) - crass riding-the coat-tails bookselling!! I completely object to it on ethical grounds!!

I am not the biggest fan of barlows either. Don’t dislike them just can’t imagine owning more than a couple. They work well as a two blade in my hand though.

Aside from the drama, this is a fun thread. I’ve come to like the Barlow as probably my favorite trad pattern. I was just wondering about getting a good book, thanks for the list, Charlie! If you had to recommend just one that was good for terminology and history, prices aren’t necessary, what would you say?

here’s my current GEC lineup. Not pictured are Madisons and Lionsteels and Cases and a Boker...

833D0478-A768-4FBB-BD43-302F329E5B3A.jpeg

I was really excited when Case brought the Barlow out of the vault for 2019. I grabbed a couple of them but carried the one with stainless clip/pen blades and black delrin covers more often. I really liked the quality, proportional shape, nostalgia, slim covers, and the half stops. The reasonable cost with easy availability (at the time) added to the fun. Then last year my dad gave me the rusty old Barlow that my late grandfather kept in a little toolbox in the trunk of his car. This thread reminded me that I still need to clean some more rust off it. Thanks for all the great pics. I think my favorites are the vintage Case red bones.

Back