What's so special?

yeah, I'm getting the picture. still, It's just not for me... I'm thinking Microtech/Benchmade/Emerson... somthing along those lines.
Wouldn't want to drop a new Sebenza over the side (crabbing in Alaska).

------------------
Fear is the mind killer

Worth every penny.

Thankfully, they exist.

And they include a lanyard for working over water.

Personally, I'm still going to go for the many customs available at the same price, with similar or better quality. Just doesn't make sense to me to pay more for less....

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Personally, I'm still going to go for the many customs available at the same price, with similar or better quality. Just doesn't make sense to me to pay more for less....
</font>

I'd sure like to see this backed up with some real annecdotal data
smile.gif
I've seen customs of perhaps "similar" quality, but none "better" (at even twice the price), at least as far as over-all strength and fit were concerned. Aesthetics is something else of course. There's just no accounting for taste.

Seriously though, Chris R. must be just tickled to see all this discussion of his little Seb. Like someone said before, there must be more Seb. threads scattered about on BF than any other knife! Nothing like publicity!

As for Tag_McLaren, I will grant only that its hard to get a real feel for the rationalle behind the Seb. craze by just looking at pictures and listening to other fanatics. Its one thing to say "I can't afford it", and no one could argue with you. To say "its too expensive as compared to other knives" makes little sense out of context, and if you had some context - experience with other knives in its league - you'd already own at least one Sebenza!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by e_utopia:

--JB

</font>

Can you give us some examples?

Do you have a Sebenza?

Have you ever held a Sebenza?

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

Sebenza.... is that possibly a south american god of some kind.

Sacrificing worshipers at Mr. Reeves alter.

I'll take an emerson

I can think of few more potent endorsements than the fact that Tom Mayo is a Sebenza fan.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tag_McLaren:
Sebenza.... is that possibly a south american god of some kind.

Sacrificing worshipers at Mr. Reeves alter.

I'll take an emerson
</font>

First he posts the topic and then he says this; Troll.
rolleyes.gif

------------------

Perhaps Tag is a troll, perhaps he just needs info. I suspect even the most ardent Seb fan (except perhaps CR himself) would not suggest or endorse the Seb as a practical deck knife for an Alaskan crabber! In such a job, a man going overboard is more of a concern than any knife, and best not to let concern over any material object get in the way of self-preservation. Kind of like asking if a Benz is a good car, then telling us he wants it for the local demo-derby.
confused.gif

Anyway, that aside, for such a purpose as fishing, I would submit:

Spyderco Merlin/Harpy
CRKT Seahawk, Bear Claw
Emerson La Griffe
Frosts/Mora deck knife, puukko

edited to add:
almost forgot, Cold Steel advertises it's Ready Edge as being popular with Alaskan fishermen, so there you go.

[This message has been edited by RH (edited 04-10-2001).]

Originally posted by Tag_McLaren:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I'll take an emerson</font>

Please don´t
smile.gif
. I have just handled one (Commander) and IMO it is not worth it. My BM 710 is much better made and even the lock is stronger (again IMO).

BTW I am waiting for my first TNT (skipped the Sebenza)....

David

------------------
DIVERTI NESCIO

---------------
My Photopoint pictures

Mikov Knives

Matthew, wander around a knife show, sometime, and look at what's available from a lot of the new makers. For example, in my area, Les Scherr is making higher-quality knives, for similar prices to the Sebenza. And I've haven't heard of many custom makers who will let improperly heat-treated blades leave their shop, while a friend of mine who used to own Sebenzas has had at least one, and I believe two, blades chip (he has since gotten rid of them).

Rick: see above for an example. Wander around a knife show in your area for more.

No, I don't have a Sebenza. I would, if they were priced $100 less, but at their current price, I do not consider them even vaguely a good value.

Yes, I've held a Sebenza. I've actually held some of the extra-fancy versions, as well. At first, I was impressed with the quality, until I look at the price, and compared them to the many other knives at the same price. I wasn't as impressed, anymore, considering that I could get more (similar quality, and the ability to customize the knife to my needs), for a similar price. Also, as I stated above, a friend of mine used to own Sebenzas, but got rid of them after he had chipping problems with the blade of at least one, and possibly two.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

e_utopia, I won't argue with you as I haven't been to a decent knife show in some 3 years now. When last I did attend, the only customs I saw that were of similar strength and fit as the Seb. were twice its price. None appeared as strong, even at that price, and no production knives came close.

I can't speak though for edge strength I have to admit. You'd have to buy a knife, then test it to distruction, at least to the point of edge damage, to know where its line was drawn. I don't know of many people who are willing to do that with a $300+ knife unless it just happens because the knife was used in a genuine emergency.

I can tell you that I have driven my large Seb. through 2" pine logs (pounding on the spine with another log) to make kindling with no edge problems (or lock/pivot, etc). I've also used it as an ice pick on a few occasions, and even to shave magnesium, then strike a few sparks on a ferrocium rod. The edge was somewhat dulled by this process, but not damaged. I'm not claiming that this is somehow extraordinary or superior edge performance, but at least its not inferior either.

This is proceeding just as expected... more popcorn.

The Sebenza whether or not you own one, like it, or think it's worth the money, is so unigue in concept, engineering and end result that it is amazing that a man conceived it and brought it to realization.

Regards,
Ron

[This message has been edited by RKnight (edited 04-10-2001).]

I can only add that I like both of mine very much, moreso than any other folder I have owned. However, I bought both of mine used, and as such paid less than retail.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

I bought my small and large plain Sebenza used and saved $50 on each

Something we have to think about is that most people who do finally break down and buy a Sebenza buy more of them.

I have the plain Zulu Trio and a small wood inlay and am thinking about getting two more; the CGG Solar Wind and the Classic.

Chris has a 6 month wait on custom Sebenzas and all of the wood inlay Sebenzas are sold for 2001.

WHAT DOES THIS TELL YOU?

JB, I am sorry your friend's Sebenza blades chipped.

This is the first I have heard a of a blade chipping let alone two.

They are not to be used as prybars or screw drivers.

Maybe you should ask the question on the CRK Forum?

------------------

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 04-10-2001).]

IIRC, he chipped the edge by contacting a staple when cutting a cardboard box. Nothing like 'testing to destruction.' I've had similar things happen to an ATS-34 Benchmade, and it barely dulled it, let alone chipped it. This is not the first instance I have heard of this happening, although it is the only one I can remember specific information about, so I won't attempt to discuss any others.

I have nothing against the Sebenza, as a knife. I merely take issue with the price, given the variety of similar or better knives at the same price. Let me put it another way - if CRK had a $100-off-sale, I would buy a Sebenza and use it. Y'know what? Even if they had a $75-off-sale, I would go for it. But at their current price, I'm not interested. I'll call up a custom maker and get a knife designed exactly to my specs, with similar or better fit, finish, and materials, for the same money.

They aren't bad knives - they're very good knives, actually - but they are priced higher than they should be. Maybe I'll get a better job, someday, and not feel bad about 'burning' that extra $75-100, but until then, I'm not interested.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

I'm not a Troll... I don't think. Regardless, I'm not the only one who thinks sebies are overpriced. I'm sure there great knives, but there just too expensive! Please don't think I don't understand the allure of a fabled product, I was just asking to see what others thought... not trying to pick a fight, I respect your opinions very much and appreciate all the info.

------------------
Fear is the mind killer

<center>TAG

You're it...
wink.gif
</center>

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Back