What's so special?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tag_McLaren:
I'm not a Troll... I don't think. Regardless, I'm not the only one who thinks sebies are overpriced. I'm sure there great knives, but there just too expensive! Please don't think I don't understand the allure of a fabled product, I was just asking to see what others thought... not trying to pick a fight, I respect your opinions very much and appreciate all the info.

</font>

Tag, well said.

I just don't know why you posted what I commented on; the god and alter thing.

JB, why would Chris reduce his price $75 to $100 when he is so back logged?

I'm surprised he doesn't charge more.

IMHO, the small wood inlay can not be beat period

Just mine and many others opionion.
smile.gif

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

I would be interested to have contact info for any maker who will make a custom folder with a titanium frame incorporating an integral lock, with a BG42 blade, to my specs, at the same price as a Sebenza.
I'm serious. If I can get the same quality materials and craftsmanship as a Seb, at the same price, AND can pick and choose custom options, then ya'll know some makers I haven't met yet.
-Paul

as many of you know; I take Sebys in trade on TNTs.....because they are EXCELLENT knives, hold their value VERY well, and are built like a tank.....I love them. As for being too expensive....that is relative!
My brother makes more in a month than I make all year. He has two cars that cost more than I make in two years..... You gotta love a guy like that!!
smile.gif

Get a job!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com
John 1:14
Love is Stronger than Death!

POST SCRIPT
You can go thru life getting the best deal on the cheapest stuff made, and in the end you will die with a bunch of junk!!!!
smile.gif

tongue.gif

A few people in this thread, and elsewhere in the Forums, keep talking about all these other knives that are just as good or better than the Sebenza for less money. "Show me the money!" Show me one knife that is as strong, sharp, and has the same attention to detail as the Sebenza and costs less. It can be custom or production.

Several years ago I bought my first Sebenza after reading MSG Kim Breed's review of the large Sebenza in Blade. He drove the blade point first into the end of a seasoned log until half the blade was embedded. He said he stopped because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to get it back out. After he pulled it out the knife functioned exactly as it had before, he only had to touch up the edge. There is more to a knife than strength, but that little demonstration certainly showed me that this was a knife I didn't have to worry about folding on my knuckles. With the edge on the Sebenza I am glad to know that it won't fold while I'm using it.

I'll be waiting to find out what these better bargains are that still perform as well as the Sebenza so I can rush out and buy one.

Paul

As I mentioned, earlier, Les Scherr is making knives for similar money to the Sebenza. I met him at a show in Connecticut, and he had a few Ti framelocks that put any Sebbie I've seen to shame. Just find a new maker in your area who does good work. Someday, Les's knives will probably cost much more, when he makes a name for himself. By then there will be other up-and-coming makers to take his place. There always are.

Tom: personally, I'd prefer to spend a few more bucks and get one of your knives, or a knife from any of a number of respected custom makers, than to buy a Sebbie. But, for those who don't want to spend that extra bit, there are plenty of new makers out there who will make a better knife, for the same money as the Sebenza. I try to get the best I can afford, at a given time.

I started with Benchmade, and moved up through the ranks. I briefly considered the Sebenza, but noticed custom knives similarly-priced, and then slightly more expensive knives, that were even better. I like the Sebenza, but I'd rather take the money I would have used to buy one of them, and buy a custom, which will ultimately make me far happier.

--JB

P.S., I am in no way associated with Mr. Scherr. I simply met him at a knife show, once, and was impressed with both the quality and range of his work. He had everything from $50 O1 utility fixed-blades, to a $650 Ti framelock with a black-lip MOP overlay, on his table.

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

"...to a $650 Ti framelock with a black-lip MOP overlay, on his table."

I thought we were talking about utility knives; not art knives.
confused.gif

The wood inlay Sebenza is beautiful and tough.

e_utopia, we just disagree.

There's nothing wrong with that.
smile.gif

------------------

Contact info for Mr. Scherr? I have a feeling he's about to get some orders!! Does he have a website?
-Paul

Rick, I was speaking of his range. He had plenty of knives in-between those two extremes, as well. Sorry, I should have been more clear. There were several in the $350 range.

Paul, he has a website, but it is currently under construction. According to his business card, he can be reached at LesJScherr@aol.com. I know I intend to order something, once I get a few knives which were already on my 'list' (gotta be fair to the knives I saw, sooner
smile.gif
).

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by e_utopia (edited 04-11-2001).]

Thanks, JB. I'll give him a shout here shortly. Like you, I can't offend those knives patiently waiting for me to generate the cash needed to bring them into my family.
smile.gif
Ti framelocks in the $350 range definately have my attention, though!
-Paul

You don’t have to look for new or obscure makers to find comparable knives to the Sebenza. Allen Elishewitz and Darrel Ralph make fine frame locks for a fraction more money, and they are two of the best known names in the business.

Paying the amount of money we do for knives is foolish. If you need to justify your spending habits by thinking that you are getting a better “value” in one knife over another you have the wrong hobby.

Buy what you like because you like it. Any other motivation is self delusional. Let’s keep things in perspective, shall we?

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

I agree with your post James. My question was based on cost because it has been said here that the Sebenza is overpriced and there are several knives that are just as good, yet cheaper. I can think of all kinds of knives that are as good, and better, but cost more. I can think of lots and lots of knives that are very good and cost less, but lack the overall strength/performance/attention to detail/finish of the Sebenza. I have one of the Dozier folding hunters which is an excellent knife (one of my favorites). It is a great knife and cost less than any of my Reeve folders. It will do anything a folder would normally be used for. It does not match the Sebenza in all of the points mentioned above though.

e_utopia,
I'll take your word for it that the knives of Les Scherr are everything that you say they are. I have no reason to doubt your veracity or the work of Mr. Scherr. I still haven't seen one though. If anyone has any pics of his work, I would love to see them.

Paul

I was thinking that the latest spearpoint buck/strider option could give the sebenza a run for it's money in functionality... if not style.

------------------
Fear is the mind killer

The last time I checked pricing was set by the market. The Sebenza sell fairly well at its current price and retains most of its value at resale. That is a pretty good indication that it is priced fairly.

Is it the best knife value on the block? That is something for each of us to decide. In my case I bought a BM pinnacle and loved it; then returned a few weeks later to buy the Sebenza. Both knives are very similar, but the CRK is smoother, and better finished. I thought the knife was fairly priced. But, I'll be the first to admit that there was a time when I thought that anyone who spent over $100 on a knife should be comitted for their own good.

N2S
Certified Knifenut

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tag_McLaren:
I was thinking that the latest spearpoint buck/strider option could give the sebenza a run for it's money in functionality... if not style.

</font>

Shouldn't you be under a bridge somewhere, eating billy-goats?

Ok, I have been following this thread since the beginning and have been holding my tongue.

Enough is enough already!!! We could all sit here and go on for months as to why one should or should not spend the money on a Sebenza. It comes down to whether you choose to spend the cash and get a great knife with a company that will stand behind it 110% or buy something else and be unsatisfied down the road.

I have to admit,I was apprehensive about buying one. I read the posts on this forum for months beforehand and it made a big impact on my decision. I now own a Sebenza, lefty at that. I am very satisfied. I carried BM and MT knives before my 'benza and I have not touched them in months. The pros far out weigh the cons when it comes to this knife. Yeah, it's big, grey, and ugly but so what. It is rock solid, sharp as a razor and locks up like a vault.

All I can say is to try it, if you like it then congrats on your new knife, good luck. If you hate it, so what, sell it and move on to something else. Here is mine.....Enjoy.

View

------------------
Ken
-------------------------
firedept_md_wht.gif
"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
----Abraham Lincoln

remster135
Thanks for the great photo! Being lefthanded myself, I appreciate any high quality folder made with us twenty-percenters in mind. By the way, I must take exception to part of your message -- Big, yes. Gray, yes. But ugly? Not a chance.

Bods, here's some more Left Handed.

I carry the small Sebenza (middle one) everyday.
smile.gif

View

------------------

After reading TAG's last post I'm beginning to think that:

a) he really is a troll
b) he just doesn't get it
c) money is the real issue

TAG, if it's 'c' please check my new post in the General Discusion forum titled 'Manual Chameleon'.

[This message has been edited by RKnight (edited 04-12-2001).]

Rem: you forget, we're not talking Sebenza vs. Pinnacle. We're talking Sebenza vs. customs. How many people are unsatisfied with custom knives by reputable makers? I know I've never been.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Back