What's that you're eating?

I forgot how much time/trouble is involved in making Stuffed Cabbage Rolls but I had a lot of cabbage that I bought during a St. Patty's Day sale for 17 cents/# that I needed to use. So, here they are . . .

Stuffed & Ready to Cook:

Q1g0UGH.jpg

Cooking in the Pot:

wqOMaXj.jpg

On the Plate & Ready to Eat:

5NASvwv.jpg

Wrapped & Ready to Freeze plus a 1 Qt Jar of the Sauce (Strained & Thickened):

wQaUhVc.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Still have 2 small heads of cabbage (what was left over after peeling off the larger leaves for the Stuffed Cabbage) that I'm going use to make coleslaw & maybe some more sauerkraut with later. 🤷‍♂️

I forgot how much time/trouble is involved in making Stuffed Cabbage Rolls but I had a lot of cabbage that I bought during a St. Patty's Day sale for 17 cents/# that I needed to use. So, here they are . . .

Stuffed & Ready to Cook:

Q1g0UGH.jpg

Cooking in the Pot:

wqOMaXj.jpg

On the Plate & Ready to Eat:

5NASvwv.jpg

Wrapped & Ready to Freeze plus a 1 Qt Jar of the Sauce (Strained & Thickened):

wQaUhVc.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Still have 2 small heads of cabbage (what was left over after peeling off the larger leaves for the Stuffed Cabbage) that I'm going use to make coleslaw & maybe some more sauerkraut with later. 🤷‍♂️
Those look amazing!!!!! Well done, Sir!

Been awhile since I cooked any. So, I couldn't resist picking up 3# of chicken feet at my local discount market that they were selling for just 99 cents/#.

IJK16W8.jpg

So, I froze 1/2 of them and with the rest I made some dim sum style Chinese Chicken Feet which (like Stuffed Cabbage Rolls) is also a very involved process.

First you've gotta cut off the toe nails, dry them out & coat them in cornstarch & then fry them for a few mins:

wzj4AG1.jpg

And then, you've gotta braise them for an hour in an aromatic broth made up of ginger, star anise, garlic, soy & oyster sauce:

shEBqHs.jpg

And then, you've gotta reheat & coat them in a sauce made up of some of the broth, brown sugar, oyster sauce & black bean/chili oil:

6goqVJR.jpg

And then, finally, they're read to serve:

aKGwDp0.jpg

Time consuming but delicious, if you're not put off by the idea of eating chicken feet. LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Mom and I went out for our last Lenten meal before Easter. I ate two shrimps before I remembered why I don’t eat them. Actually one, but ate a second one in disbelief. Now the rest are in moms doggie bag lol

IMG-6134.jpg

Last edited:
Hell yeah. I LOVE red beans and rice - that looks awesome!
Thanks! I admit, it’s a little lazier than normal with the non stick pan. Normally crisp up the andouille and ham shanks on the cast iron. But that was already out from breakfast. Hit the Cajun Trinity in there with the drippings from that with a healthy dose of minced garlic.

If there was ever a smell that I thought Heaven was like, this is it.

Last edited:
Catching up . . .

A Philly Cheese Sandwich and a Pint of Pliny the Elder at my local pub:

bw8oFON.jpg

And a can of Braised Abalone that I got as a gift that I opened & snacked on recently:

Bxh7iWr.jpg

Wasn't much in the can but what there was tasted very good. However, I remember when you could buy full adult sized abalone with 8-12" wide shells in SF Chinatown but I guess that's why you can't find abalone like that for sale anywhere anymore. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Back