What's the big deal about Para Military?

blades&wrenches

Gold Member
I too wondered for a long time "what's the big deal?" Finally, last weekend I had my first chance to hold and play with one my brother brought to Christmas gathering. After a couple minutes I concluded that's it's a well built knife and I can definitely see why so many love it. It's just not for me.

Last edited:

draperfish

Gold Member
The things I love about the PM2 are: great ergos, thin profile, light weight, solid lockup, great blade steel, and the thin blade is a great slicer.

If you like larger blades go with the Military. You can't go wrong with either the Miltary or PM2 but the Millie is a larger knife. Or you might just grab a PM2 now and wait for the Military 2 coming out sometime in 2015. Suppose to be some changes coming if my understanding is correct.

So military2 confirmed 2015 YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS THAT'S THE BEST THING I'VE HEARD THIS YEAR thanks :)

@LeathermanGX

BANNED
Sal made a comment about the Military getting some upgrades so I assumed he meant 2015. Not a direct quote, however.

All I got out of his comment was they're going to Swiss cheese the grip scales. Definitely not an upgrade. Meh

rpn

Gold Member
If you are a Griptilian guy, you will probably enjoy the Para as well. They are very close size wise with the spydie having a smidge more handle and the BM a little more blade. The Para handle is narrower, but feels good in hand.

Hows about some pics?! :D

2-3 years ago I was down to two folders for a good stretch...the para 2 and Ritter Grip. To me, I liked both equally and felt they were very comparable. Just got the black Grip this week..has insanely good looking g10 handles and M4 steel and I'm mightily impressed with it. :thumbup:

There has been a knife that really kicked the Para out of my pocket though...it's big brother! Love the Military!

Fit and finish in it has been perfect everytime I have had 3 over time. Sharpest production knife straight out of the box I've ever handled. Looking to buy another as I gave my last one to my brother.

I owned about a dozen Benchmades also...then I got a PM2, don't have any benchmades anymore! So much more for your money and a great company to promote!
Well, my Benchmades are "not" going anywhere soon, however, the knife currently in my pocket is a Paramilitary in D2. It was my first Spyderco that I bought a few months ago, and it has spent most of it's time in my pocket. It lead to my buying a Paramilitary II that is still new in it's box in my drawer. I'm sure it will find itself in rotation sooner or later, but I don't need it as yet when I have the Paramilitary.
PS, I showed them both to a friend that was a confirmed Benchmade guy and he fell in love with the ergos and especially the compression lock. He said he's now going to buy one. :eek:

What's the big deal? Nothing... It's just a very good folder.

...And many feel the same way that it's a good knife. So much so that they can't keep up with demand.

Although I mostly own Benchmades the PM2 is one of my all time favorites. The PM2 is one of the most versatile and useful designs ever. You can get up on the blade and use it precisely like a small knife and you can also get a big handful of handle and use it like a big knife. It has a great blade with a flat grind that is thin enough to slice really well and just thick enough to take a beating if needed. There may not be a more versatile medium sized knife made. Everyone should own one, maybe 2.

shunsui

Gold Member
I don't like to recommend knives too much because it's such a personal decision for the buyer.

That said, I feel most comfortable recommending a Para2 to people, because it's such a sweet spot for various design parameters and ergos.

Price doesn't hurt either.

The PM was my favorite Spydie until I got a Native 5. I still like the PMs and the compression lock, but the Native is more comfy and ergonomic to me and easier on the hand when reaching in my pocket. I am actually PM-less right now, but am getting the itch again.

I carried a Benchmade Mini Griptilian for quite a while and purchased a PM2 on a whim. It didn't take long to see how smoothly the Spyderco opened or just how wickedly sharp it came from the factory. The Mini Grip and Sequel that I owned were small but never really felt good in the hand. I originally looked at Spyderco knives as ugly and plain, but after getting my hands on a PM2, I understood why people loved them so much. It's true that they aren't the most badass looking knives but dear God, do they fit the hand well. After the PM2 came a Dragonfly 2 and Delica 4, replacing the Benchmades I used to carry. If you actually give the PM2 a chance, you'll see exactly why so many people love them and why they sell out pretty quickly.