What's the dumbest question you've got about a knife?

"Why do you carry a knife?" -- Usually asked when I use said knife to cut something the user has asked to be cut.
"What do you use a knife like that for?" -- Usually asked when I produce a knife that doesn't look like, say, a butter knife or other kitchen knife.

I had a friend ask me if you were supposed too throw in the garbage when it got dull. LOL
I've visited more than one household where the solution when all the knives finally became like butterknives was to BUY a new one . Apparently tool sharpening has become like flint napping : almost a lost art ?

I've visited more than one household where the solution when all the knives finally became like butterknives was to BUY a new one . Apparently tool sharpening has become like flint napping : almost a lost art ?
The thing is my friend would throw away griptilians he had thrown away two before I started sharpening them for him

When my wife asks questions like "do you really need more knives." I simply say, "do you really need another pair of shoes?" That is usually the end of the conversation.

"Giddyup"
Cosmo

Why do cut your dinner with your pocket knife, to which I replied " because I know my knife is sharp "

Now I don't want to steal this thread or anything, but has a new member ever asked what the knife in the blade forums logo is ?
I know it's a fairbain sykes or v42 type dagger, but it seems like the kind of thing a new member might not know .

Yep. I'm new and didn't know that plus a ton of other stuff!

One that comes to mind is when I let some of my co-workers take a look at a Griptilian at work. When I revealed the cost, one guy said, you paid that much for this piece of plastic and metal?
That s what I thought when the street price of the 551 Griptilian went from 65.00 to 100.00 right after Benchmade started map pricing. Maybe a more informed question than you thought.

"Can I borrow your knife"?

Hell no. If you don't carry a knife if your own, I don't trust you with mine. And by "knife", I don't mean a S&W or MTech. Heck, my boss carries a Microtech Makora 2, and judging by its condition and how sharp he (doesn't) keep it, I'm not sure I'd trust him using one of of mine. I wouldn't even trust most people with my Opinel. Yeah it's cheap and practically a throw-away, but the amount of time I spent getting it as sharp as it is - is not replaceable.

Oh, and by the way, I carry a Swiss Army Knife. If you want a screwdriver, I'll give you a screwdriver. My knife's tip is not a screwdriver.

"Why dou you need that knife"
As im cutting a package open for them!!!

Yep, that's a dumb one. Usually when someone asks me why I carry a knife I'm clearly using it to do knife stuff (opening a packaging, cutting a box, etc).

Then there's "why do you spend so much money on knives?"

Well gee, why do you spend so much money on sneakers/jewelry/watches/car stereos/tattoos/computers/Scotch whiskey/whatever? Because it's a hobby and it makes me happy.

The dumbest question I've ever had is "can I use your knife to cut through sheet metal?" No. I'm not letting you use my spyderco southard for that. Hell I wouldn't let you use my Ontario Rat 1 for that.. mostly because it would ruin the edge so bad lol

The dumbest question I've ever had is "can I use your knife to cut through sheet metal?" No. I'm not letting you use my spyderco southard for that. Hell I wouldn't let you use my Ontario Rat 1 for that.. mostly because it would ruin the edge so bad lol
:eek:Probably had watched way too many Cold Steel Proof Videos !:confused:

That s what I thought when the street price of the 551 Griptilian went from 65.00 to 100.00 right after Benchmade started map pricing. Maybe a more informed question than you thought.

I see your point, but I'm pretty certain the guy that made this comment isn't too informed in the knife world.

Do you have a knife on you?

-No, but I do have a tool

Or

How much did that set you back?

-Four fifty

4 dollars and fifty cents....Wow, that's cheap!

-No, no....four HUNDRED and fifty.

HOLY SHI...!!!

I have had fellow workers ask me to use my knife to cut wire.... hell no. Technically it shouldn't have hurt it, but I wasn't about to find out and I'm the one who bought the knife in the first place. They use one of my knives and hand it back to me with a chip in the blade... sorry...

Have considered handing the knife back to them and saying "It's yours" I'll take it out of your pay. Now you have a knife.

Yep. I'm new and didn't know that plus a ton of other stuff!
BTW I wasn't implying that this would be a dumb question, or that anyone who doesn't know is dumb.
I had somehow only just recently noticed it there, and started thinking about weather people knew what it was.
Something funny I thought about is how there's a dagger ( i.e. a weapon ) in the logo for BF'S when the knife community is fighting to spread the message that knives people carry are just daily use cutting tools.

Back