whats the point

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by jforbush, Dec 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jforbush

jforbush

Sep 29, 2007
    my point is that my occupation has nothing to do with your supposed claim of passive advertising.

2. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    But having it there has definitely made people contact you for work, hasn't it?
    Do you honestly think this is fair for the people who pay to do business here?

3. jforbush

jforbush

Sep 29, 2007
    your point is not valid.....to find out what I do for a living someone as to actively find my profile and dig into finding my occupation. Do you really think that someone is going to do that! And if they do how is that my fault or advertising of any kind. I can put up that I am a doctor ( I am not, just a example) and would I expect someone to find that info and pm me with health related questions.....no!

4. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Perhaps it would be simplest not to have any profile...? Don't tell, don't ask.

5. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    I wouldn't say that at all. A profile is a good way of introducing yourself, of letting people know where you're from, and what your interests are. What the vBulletin software doesn't take into account is that Bladeforums has gone to member subscription financing. This has brought us to setting permissions for different activities. Advertising may fall into this area.

6. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    Not that I care but the rule says:

Discussion threads
    Signature
    Home page listing in user profile

It doesn't mention occupation at all. If that's the rule then someone needs to rewrite the rule as written because it doesn't say occupation nor does it imply occupation. The part about if a rule is unclear then the stricter rule applies is irrelevant. The rule as written is not unclear. It lists 3 things non paying members cannot do. Add a fourth prohibited action to the list and there can be no argument.

7. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I understand what you're trying to say, but we sort of expect that if a person is smart enough to use a computer and smart enough to make knives....that they are cognizant enough to understand that you don't advertise your work or products here without the proper paid membership level. We can't possibly list absolutely everything that is a violation. We expect that our members have enough honesty and integrity to recognize right from wrong and do the right thing.

8. jforbush

jforbush

Sep 29, 2007
    are you trying to say something there Karda? If you are, just come out and say it. I am not the only one that seems to have a problem with this.....

9. leatherman

leatherman leathermoderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 30, 2001
    I'm looking at this with a different view point:

1) I've been a paying member here since Spark started memberships, went to the Craftsman/Service provider when it was required. For well under the price of any advertisement out there I get great coverage and if I pay three years at a time I get a little forum of my own. I cant even imagine a less expensive way to get my work out there.

2) I cant understand why you would not want to promote a great service like the one you do.

3) Stumbling upon your profile and seeing you did said service would actually prompt me to ask as I get occasional inquiries from my sheath customers on refinishing their knife. oops, yea.

Through working with most of the sheath makers here I've seen a few with your viewpoint, why pay to play when its so easy to get the word out through roundabout means. Now that is unfair to those of us who play by the rules here.

I am willing to bet that this thread alone has brought business in, or at least got the word out a little farther. Free advertising. Even controversial press is good business.

No plus or minus from me just some observations, I pay for a membership, but I also volunteer my time as a moderator. Both are a lot of work in addition to what I do for a living.

10. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I'm saying just what I wrote, however, if you wish to imply or infer it otherwise. I can't and won't stop you.

11. jforbush

jforbush

Sep 29, 2007
    yea....okay man....real mature way of being a super moderator!! Great example you are setting.....

12. jforbush

jforbush

Sep 29, 2007
    Leatherman....I get what you are saying.....I really do. This thread is not meant for a way to get my business heard but a way to voice my concern for "picking" on someone for nothing. If I felt like i did something wrong I would be the first to say "yep....I screwed up and I am sorry and will fix it". I have morals and a very good sense of whats right and wrong. What I have a problem with is getting accused of things I am not and did not do and breaking a rule that does not exist.

13. jforbush

jforbush

Sep 29, 2007
    This really all got started because I responded to a post about a person needing assistance in the field I work. Looking back I could have been a little more careful about how I worded it buy when I was typing it I was thinking about helping this guy and not having to watch my words so closely. That is my fault.....but when I try to explain myself Karda was having nothing to do with my story. He made up his mind right then and there I was in his cross hairs. Made no difference what I said......then all this BS about my occupation being listed as a violation. I looked and looked and saw nothing about it in the rules but that makes no difference to him. To him I am trying to get by or cheat the system. This is not the case......I assure you all of that. This is about me having as much right as anyone else to list my occupation.

As I said before....I was a paying member of this forum and took a break due to the atmosphere changing in a way I did not agree with. I wanted to come back here and reconnect with the others in the forum and was considering picking back up a Knife makers membership. But why would I with the harassment I am getting.

14. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    jforbush, I've heard enough from you. Your language is intemperate, your attitude towards Karda is insulting. He isn't singling you out. There's a thread in Shop Talk where bladsmth, the forum moderator, explained this policy to the knifemakers posting there: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-If-you-are-a-Knifemaker-then-be-a-Knifemaker

Karda took over from that point, instructing members with links to a business that they needed to upgrade their memberships. This is a forum rule that Spark set up in support of the paid membership system. If you don't like it, you don't have to pay. But then you don't get to play, either. Now that your homepage lists Occupation: something I can't say, I think we're finished here.

15. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    Do you really think publishing your business email and phone number on an open forum would not be advertisement for yourself?
    Trying to help is no excuse and you should use better Judgement.

Why would you get a service provider membership?
    Because if you had one, I wouldn't have said a word to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.