What's the stupidest way to test how sharp your blade is?

If you really want to test those serrations, slicing your tendons works well.

On a more serious note, I've really messed up wiping my newly sharpened blade on my shirt, only to see a nice hole afterwards. I've changed my ways.

------------------
Shawn
"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."

Top Ten Stupid Sharpness Tests

1. Look at the edge; if you can't tell, get closer...closer...OUCH! (Yup, it's definitely sharp.)

2. Listen to the edge. If it sounds flat, keep sharpening!

3. Shave $100 bills.

4. Do chin-ups on the knife--with the HANDLE clamped in a vise.

5. Shave a tiger's @$$.

6. Cut Spark some slack.

7. Whittle your funny bone on school grounds.

8. Give it to Cliff Stamp; he'll tell ya!
wink.gif

9. Lie down on the floor and try sticking the knife into the ceiling.

10. Shave in the car while talking on the cell phone and fiddling with the radio.

David Rock

------------------
Stop when you get to bone.

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 07 July 1999).]

By the way, is this a contest? Somebody ought to give a prize to the best idea submitted.

David Rock

Nail your pecker to a burning building and see how long it takes to whittle your way to freedom. Or, for those afraid of fire, try splitting your member by slicing it right down the middle to the pelvic bone like a carrot. Erect penises provide the most conclusive and humorous results. If you get it in one go, boy you got a sharp one!

[This message has been edited by Terry Laverdure (edited 07 July 1999).]

Slip down the blade on your a$$ and brake with testicles !

(Special test for long blades)

Kurdy.

How about a more serious note?

Not a sharpness test, but I discovered it was definitely sharp... I noticed a bit of gunk on the edge of my zytel Native a couple of days ago. Adhesive remains, I believe, from opening a package. Well, normally, I wet my thumb and wipe the edge, working generally from the spline of the blade toward the edge, kinda like sharpening on a strop. Well, this time, the adhesive was so strong that it didn't want to come off. So, I picked up an old sock and doubled it so that there was 4 layers of cotton sock between the blade and my thumb. I grabbed the edge of the blade, and started swiping toward the tip, but in the direction you normally sharpen on a stone. I think I made it about 5/8-ths of an inch before the blade had cut through all 4 layers of sock and into my thumb. Fortunately, the edge wasn't perpendicular to my thumb, so it only shaved off a thin layer, just enough for me to feel.

Dumb enough for ya?
redface.gif

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

You know how if you slide a finger along the edge it gets cut, but if you slide it across the edge it does not? Not true, try clamping the knife handle in a vise, setting a ladder about 5-6 feet back, putting you feet on the ladder to serve as a pivot, and supporting all of your weight on the knife edge with your index finger... then slide forward, it will slice off your finger in chunks!
P.S. $1 to anyone who trys this and then posts pics!

------------------
"All of our knives open with one hand, in case you're busy with the other"
<OVAL OFFICE JOKE>

[This message has been edited by Stompy (edited 07 July 1999).]

David Rock- your Top Ten's #1 is a classic. What finesse. hehehe How 'bout this one: thrust the blade in a bucket of water and see how many single hydrogen and oxygen atoms you can get flying around. Hey, you might even split them neutrinos or whatever you call them...

Ok, a lot of the good ideas were taken, that sucked. Don't plan on trying any of those anyway. The top 10 list was great too...

A little to descriptive on some of these post :)

Vulgarity does not = humor

wll

Well. I am disappointed so far that no one else figured out that testing out on the openiong of the urethra is definitely a better indicator than the circumcision ritual. How about testing this out on a tiger's or rhino's naughty bits...that would really get stupid points.

I did once slice the tip of my finger almost completely off with balisong, also with delica...PFD in my opinion.

Tuff, delete it. Its not that hard.

------------------
Just because I talk to myself doesn't mean I'm crazy. What's wrong with getting a second opinion?

Back