What's with all the Hinderer XM-18s for sale?

I have two older 20CV 3" XM-18s, one flipper and one non-flipper. Overall, they are great designs. Two mods to the flipper made it even better for my use:

1) Strengthening the detent by enlarging the detent hole on the blade
2) Dulling the very sharp jimping on the flipper tab

Another minor mod was replacing the teflon washers with bronze phosphor. I know, teflon is very low friction, but the action of my XM-18s feels better running on bronze phosphor and I prefer it.

I can open the flipper with the flipper tab, thumbstuds, or via inertia. Opening with inertia takes a certain technique, and is the least reliable method now. Flipping can be done straight up with no "loading" of tension, just push-button style straight in.

I also modified the detent on the non-flipper to be stronger. Not as strong as the flipper, but stock it was a still a bit weak for my tastes. After enlarging the detent hole, both XM-18s have what I'd consider perfect action. The mod was very easy with a Dremel and carbide ball nose end mill.

I have two older 20CV 3" XM-18s, one flipper and one non-flipper. Overall, they are great designs. Two mods to the flipper made it even better for my use:

1) Strengthening the detent by enlarging the detent hole on the blade
2) Dulling the very sharp jimping on the flipper tab

Another minor mod was replacing the teflon washers with bronze phosphor. I know, teflon is very low friction, but the action of my XM-18s feels better running on bronze phosphor and I prefer it.

I can open the flipper with the flipper tab, thumbstuds, or via inertia. Opening with inertia takes a certain technique, and is the least reliable method now. Flipping can be done straight up with no "loading" of tension, just push-button style straight in.

I also modified the detent on the non-flipper to be stronger. Not as strong as the flipper, but stock it was a still a bit weak for my tastes. After enlarging the detent hole, both XM-18s have what I'd consider perfect action. The mod was very easy with a Dremel and carbide ball nose end mill.

Nice work! I still can't open mine with the thumb studs but I'm sure it will loosen up with time and use. What did you use to smooth the jimping?

Nice work! I still can't open mine with the thumb studs but I'm sure it will loosen up with time and use. What did you use to smooth the jimping?

Right after I did the detent mod, thumbstud opening felt very tight, but I felt like it did loosen up. Now, action is great whether via thumbstuds or flipper.

On the flipper jimping, I used the diamond plates from my Wicked Edge. I think I started with 400 and went to 800 with very light strokes. Then I used the course and fine rods from a Spyderco Sharpmaker to finish them. The jimping is much more fingertip-friendly, but provides the right amount of traction. This was a very easy tweak and I'm glad I did it. Taking down the extremely aggressive bite of the stock jimping has made the knife much more enjoyable to use for me.

If any of you are on the fence with the XM, I say go ahead and get it; especially now that it's more commonly available, and for Rick's makers price. I inspected many new xm's at the store when I bought mine, and they all were great. I have no buyer's remorse at all, unlike several other popular higher end production knives I've had.

Production is up, and the prices on the secondary market have recently plunged...maybe RHK finally realized that no one was believing the "MIL/First Responder priority" fantasy crap anymore and in turn started selling more knives to the people who ACTUALLY BUY THEM, collectors. This in turn cased the drop in prices on the secondary market.

I'm sure Hinderers are still very good sellers for dealers, there are plenty of people who still haven't realized/don't care that you can get basically the same knife as the XM (ZT056x) for less than half the price using better materials and workmanship with actual customer service.

Production is up, and the prices on the secondary market have recently plunged...maybe RHK finally realized that no one was believing the "MIL/First Responder priority" fantasy crap anymore and in turn started selling more knives to the people who ACTUALLY BUY THEM, collectors.

Well that's a load of conspiracy crap.
Increased production capacity over time (paid by sales) means that now more knives are getting out there to the dealers.
If you want to buy direct from Hinderer, the EMS/Military/firefighter/police thing still applies.

You know, it seems a lot of people expect someone to start a company, and somehow have it magically morph into a multinational corporation in an instant, so they can get all the economy of scale cost benefits right away.
Sorry dude, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

(some people even say it doesn't revolve around me! :eek:)

For my own 2 cents, I think this is an awesome knife. I feel it's worth the price I paid. If you're thinking about buying one, I say go for it. You'll love it.

Production is up, and the prices on the secondary market have recently plunged...maybe RHK finally realized that no one was believing the "MIL/First Responder priority" fantasy crap anymore and in turn started selling more knives to the people who ACTUALLY BUY THEM, collectors. This in turn cased the drop in prices on the secondary market.

I'm sure Hinderers are still very good sellers for dealers, there are plenty of people who still haven't realized/don't care that you can get basically the same knife as the XM (ZT056x) for less than half the price using better materials and workmanship with actual customer service.

Well, I for one am a full-time first responder, and I'm fully aware of the materials used. Also my zt0562, while a great knife, in no way compares to the real xm.

Well, I for one am a full-time first responder, and I'm fully aware of the materials used. Also my zt0562, while a great knife, in no way compares to the real xm.
Hmm...I've owned both and disagree considering you get better blade steel and arguably a better handle scale for half the price. Not to mention I was pissed to pay so much for a knife to open it up and see the lockbar engage with only about 5% of the tang. (Oh boy, the feathers have been ruffled...[emoji16])

Hmm...I've owned both and disagree considering you get better blade steel and arguably a better handle scale for half the price. Not to mention I was pissed to pay so much for a knife to open it up and see the lockbar engage with only about 5% of the tang. (Oh boy, the feathers have been ruffled...[emoji16])
It's fine to disagree, it's a discussion forum after all lol. No, my 0562 is nice, but it doesn't feel like a high end production/midtech (or whatever you want to call xm's, sebenzas, striders and whatnot). It feels like a factory knife. It has the same crappy soft fasteners as other budget-ish type knives. I will agree that for the money, the zt wins, but it's def not in the upper production/midtech category in my opinion; it feels like a fancy kershaw, which is what it is. The hinderer, to me, is more akin to a midtech or custom; in that it's meant to be used, taken apart and cleaned over and over. It's kinda like the difference between a craftsman and a snap-on to me. Hard to explain to people, but apparent once one uses and lives with the tools, imo of course. I am sorry to hear your lockup was so early. Mine was early too, but some excessive flipping/breaking in, moved it over some.

I agree with scamero about the once you use and live with the knife comment. A few posts back I mentioned how underwhelmed I was when I received my brand new Hinderer. And to make matters worst, it rattles. I found out that the rattling was mainly caused by the last fasterner being loose. Tightened that up and it is real sweet now. Been carrying it daily, used it here and there and fell in love with mine. I dropped the blade once and got a chip on it but after 2 hours on the diamond hone it is razor sharp again. Loving it now.

I was/am pleased with my ZT0562CF but had to try an original Hinderer XM18. Got mine at a great price and it's pretty damn awesome. I'm looking for another now.

Back