1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's with all the Hinderer XM-18s for sale?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Basher313, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Basher313

Basher313 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I ask purely out of curiousity, but I'm seeing a metric crap ton of XM-18s being listed for sale lately. Any reason in particular, so I can avoid them or jump on the bandwagon, whichever the case may be?

2. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    This has been going on for quite some time. I've never handled one as I don't really want one, but from what I hear quality isn't the problem.

3. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    They are more readily available now. People say good things about the Hinderer line and want to try them out.
    No different than people buying/reselling other knives immediately.

4. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    I think the Ranch stepped up production and you can even buy them at their prices from retailers lately, especially the Wharnies. I picked up a 3.5 CPM20CV Wharnie that actually has a pretty strong detent and flips without a tutorial or wrist action for under $400 a few months ago, in the box with peanuts off of another forum, because I have the ZT models and always wanted a "real" Hinderer but not really that impressed and it took me 3 tries to get one with a detent ( I bought 2 previously from a retailer that I returned) that you couldn't easily shake the blade (think gravity knife) out of the handle. I know Rick says they make them that way on purpose but I don't like that non-existent detent at all! Maybe I m just too used to the ZT's?

If you have always wanted one, it may not be a bad time to pick one up since they are available with little to no premium and I don't think they will ever be available at a discount.

5. Acadian

Acadian Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 2015
    funny I was just asking myself the exact same thing. At first I thought that maybe some new sick model is coming out, so people are unloading their current ones - but I think people who were holding them for "value" is realizing that they aren't as valuable (eg. inflated) as they once were.

Great time to buy one if you've always wanted one. I love my Hinderers...

6. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Hinderer Knives has more production capacity now as of June 2015.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, even though they raised their prices on May 1, 2015 these prices are still a lot less than a year ago.

XM-18 3″ Retail Price $425
    XM-18 3.5″ Retail Price $425
    XM-24 4″ Retail Price $595

Finally, the detent on my last XM-18 3.5" 20CV from April 2015 is excellent and strong. However, they're not all like that. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

7. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I highly recommend picking one up. My 2 are excellent knives!

8. Nellem

Nellem

Mar 20, 2014
    It used to be something special to own when buying options were limited but now that Rick sells them as part of a new open sales policy the bragging rights value has diminished substantially. A Hinderer is now what it is and you must want it for what it is to hold on to it. Those who got into Hinderer knives for reasons other than owning a great user will be selling theirs off now. Rick Hinderer makes great users and that must be the reason for acquiring them. A Hinderer that is carried and used have few equals in my opinion.

9. hazy

hazy

Mar 1, 2013
    Yeah I think it's mainly people who bought them as investments 2+ years ago are unloading them because the prices have dropped so much (due to significant increase in production). I love them and really can't believe the great prices you can get them for now. The secondary market on Hinderers used to be ridiculous with some going for 200% mark up or more, now I see plenty going for less than $400, two or three years ago that would have been a typo. They are amazing knives though, I've bought 5 so far this year and don't seem to be able to stop :)

10. pjandyho

pjandyho

Feb 12, 2014
    I am new to knives and thought that I would like to own a Hinderer. Finally bought an XM18 3.5" spear point from Knife Center for $475 and I have no idea what makes it so great. I have a Spyderco PM2 and a ZT 0560 Hinderer design which served me well for a lot lesser. Maybe could someone explain to me and help me see what makes the Hinderer better than say a ZT?

11. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Are there lots of counterfeits around now?

12. Nellem

Nellem

Mar 20, 2014
    A factory cannot make a knife as good as a small team can. A Hinderer is made with more care and attention to detail by people that are better skilled. The production volume is therefore much lower so the price must be much higher. Take the knives apart and you will see the difference. To dis- and re-assemble a Hinderer is a joy and can be done a million times under rough conditions. The screws you have on your PM2 won't like that too much. Go ahead and pull the knives apart and look at the parts critically. Look at how things fit together. Look at the thicknesses. Look at sizes of screws and pivots. In doing this you will learn to dicern.

13. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    People complained when they were too exclusive, now they're complaining because they're available. Maybe people just like to complain?

14. Nellem

Nellem

Mar 20, 2014
    There are always at least two sides and when things change the pain moves from one side to the other. One side happy; other side not happy. Nothing changes except who's doing the complaining.

15. pjandyho

pjandyho

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks! I figured it must be the case, the precision in the parts. I have seen a few take down and assembly videos of the XM-18 to learn how to take it down but I just realized I lacked the torx driver with the correct size. Once I get it I will attempt to disassemble it and oil the washers.

16. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    Washers are plastic, or Teflon if you prefer.

17. netguy1999

netguy1999

Jan 11, 2006
    I just bought a brand new XM-18 3.5" Bowie from a dealer for $400. This is my first Hinderer. It should arrive at my house today or tomorrow. Hopefully this was money well spent...

18. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    It happens in cycles, there is no conspiracy or anything. Sometimes the secondary market places are flooded with Hinderer knives for a week or two, then you see a ton of CRK products, then Striders, then ZT, then something else. It all depends on what is currently available. Nothing out of the ordinary, given enough time on here you can see the patterns happen quite regularly.

19. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    You mean it isn't due to the lizard people who secretly rule the world?
    Crap, I was wrong again. :D

20. Eric@DLT

[email protected]

Mar 30, 2015
    Production capacity is up but they can still only make so many knives. As a dealer we still only get about 10 knives a month. Not like buying from Kai where we can get a truckload of ZT knives.