• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

What's with "please email for pictures"?

Dadpool

Gold Member
Why, when you're selling a product, would you not post photos of it in the sale thread? Why not make it as simple as possible for potential buyers to see what's for sale?

I know the Great PhotoBucket Scourge of 2017 caused some issues, but in the two years I've been here it's never been difficult to post photos on BF, and it isn't difficult now.

I just don't get this approach. What am I missing here?

I post Photo's direct from my computer and it can be very hard getting them up- with many error messages and usually only one photo will work before I have to refresh the screen. No doubt it has to do with me being inept at computers, but for some like me it may not be all that easy-but doable.

I post Photo's direct from my computer and it can be very hard getting them up- with many error messages and usually only one photo will work before I have to refresh the screen. No doubt it has to do with me being inept at computers, but for some like me it may not be all that easy-but doable.

By direct do you mean hosting them here on BF? I'm not sure I've ever tried that; I just use Imgur, one of the free image hosts that are perfect for this sort of thing.

Thank you for providing your perspective. :thumbsup:

By direct do you mean hosting them here on BF? I'm not sure I've ever tried that; I just use Imgur, one of the free image hosts that are perfect for this sort of thing.

Thank you for providing your perspective. :thumbsup:
It goes direct from my computer(uploaded) to the post. The old system used to save the photos in a file, to be used again, but this system doesn't. Those that use a host seem to do much better, but I resist :)

It goes direct from my computer(uploaded) to the post. The old system used to save the photos in a file, to be used again, but this system doesn't. Those that use a host seem to do much better, but I resist :)

Ah, yep, I must have done that at least a few times under the old software, because I do remember uploading files. (I think I used that to create a personal gallery for my collection, not for adding photos to posts.) That was a nice feature.

I totally get resisting switching to a host. I will say that once I moved from just dropping photos on Imgur to actually having an account (which is free), I can now easily pull my old photos and reuse them as needed; it works well.

For me, posting photos from a phone is really difficult. I don’t have a computer and if I try to upload them from my phone it always says the file size is too large. However, recently I discovered an app to change the size and now I can upload. But I would imagine people have to same issue as me posting from their smart phones.

Yes - I agree - I simply pass these posts by. I even don't want to look at thumbnails but those are certainly better than asking me to chase after you to see what you have to offer.

Pretty simple to drop a photo into any post. You then get prompted to show full image or thumbnail. If you click either, a photos is posted but why not go for full image?

I don't get it either. May be different posting from a phone but from a lap top or desk top - couldn't be easier - no host site needed.

You want to sell? Show me!

Ray

Probably the same thing that makes sellers ask you to calculate their PayPal fees for them.

That's where I went first as well (and man does that practice grind my gears . . . but that's another thread), but so far in this thread there are already two folks who've mentioned technical concerns: difficulty with direct uploads, and difficulty with phone uploads.

I don't do the former and I almost never do the latter, so neither of those had occurred to me as possible reasons.

I do agree having to ask for photo's isn't going to work well for a sale. I have to be almost sure I would buy before I would bother and it is just to confirm that. You really do need to have photo's in your ad or most will go right by. I have trouble getting them up but I do get them up.

Try this,

Download imgur ap on your phone. Open ap and click the plus sign icon at the top right of the screen. Now hit the green camera square at top left and either select or take a picture and it will pop up asking you to give it an title. (It will say at top left; public or hidden. They only let you upload so many publics per minute, no limit on hidden) once you type a title hit the button that says post in the top right.

Now it will show you the picture you uploaded. (You can click on the little person icon in the bottom right to see uploaded pictures.) Hold your finger down over the uploaded picture for a few seconds and choose copy link. (Holding finger is for iphones, not sure how you open "right click" for androids)

Now go back to bladeforms. Look at the box where you type messages at bottom of page. Above that box at top left is a smiley face icon. To the right of that is an icon that looks like two mountain peaks and a sun, click that.

A little box will popup. Hold down your finger in the blank space for a few secs. Hit paste. Now hit the button that says Insert.

TaaaDaa!

Last edited:
Not out of any moral code but just out of habit, I tend to skip right by sales without pics. I have made impulse purchases based on liking the looks of a knife for sale, so posting pics would presumably, greatly increase your chances of attracting buyers.

Direct upload is easy once you understand that pics must be no larger than 1200 pixels. I take the pic on my cell phone, email it to myself, download on my computer, open with Paint, crop, rotate if necessary, then select resize, select pixels, resize to 1200 on the longest side, save and you're done.

Sounds long and complicated but really takes less than 5 minutes overall.

Direct upload is easy once you understand that pics must be no larger than 1200 pixels. I take the pic on my cell phone, email it to myself, download on my computer, open with Paint, crop, rotate if necessary, then select resize, select pixels, resize to 1200 on the longest side, save and you're done.

Sounds long and complicated but really takes less than 5 minutes overall.

Just go to the app store on your phone and search image resizer. I have one called "PhotoResizer" it will save you the step of having to use the computer.

Take the picture
Open PhotoResizer
Select photo and resize and save

Text yourself the photo. It will resize from within. Save it again = 1/4 the size.

I've never asked for emailed photos. No way.

Take a screen shot of your photo on your phone. Then crop into the image to remove phone info and extra space. On BF in the post window next to the button "Post Reply" is the button "Upload a File". Upload the new low rez screenshot to BF. Easy Peasy.

For me, posting photos from a phone is really difficult. I don’t have a computer and if I try to upload them from my phone it always says the file size is too large. However, recently I discovered an app to change the size and now I can upload. But I would imagine people have to same issue as me posting from their smart phones.

If you take the picture through the imgur ap following my steps in post #11 you won' even have to resize.

Back