What's Your Absolute Favorite Spyderco Steel?

From what little experience I have I would say K390 (mule)
Folder wise that S110V is pretty darn wicked....
If just one then VG10.

As of today, right now, this second, it would be the s90v in my Manix2XL. I have the s110v in the Manix2 that I haven't used yet.

VG10, pioneered by Spyderco in this country. A good practical premium steel. Holds a good shine, good edge and is pretty corrossion free.

I've got almost every steel to choose from and I think I've gone full circle with my Spydies from my first Endura with VG-10 now back to a Stretch with the same steel that finds itself in my pocket every day. Just a practical, simple solution.
Now I've got to find some use for this mountain of Spydercos that never get any pocket time. :(

For me it is a tie between Super Blue and S110V.
I have been using my Delica and Manix in these 2 steels and they are both performing great.
I tend to beat my knives up a bit at work and no chipping on either of them and both are easy to keep an edge.

I'm partial to H1...it is reasonably priced (to people like us at least), sharpens pretty easily and is basically impervious to rusting. The only real downside that I can see is that it does seem prone to scratching. VG10 is probably my #2 choice (Spyderco VG10 that is), easy to maintain, gets nice and sharp and doesn't cost so much that the knives become overly expensive. I'll go ahead and put S30V in a #3, I don't own any Spyderco S30V, but my experience with KAI S30V has been excellent, the rumors about it being so hard ot sharpen I really don't think are accurate at all.

I think CTS-204P

13932502096_e5d9a0ba68_c.jpg

.... or maybe CTS-XHP

13862918123_0a67fa2b91_c.jpg

or... it could be CPM-M4

13862919073_aaebe8bf9e_c.jpg

although CPM-S110V is good too...

13862918313_495ccc6f04_c.jpg

thinking about it though, I should really grab a Manix2 in CPM-Cruwear.

In reality, the fact that Spyderco makes amazingly well designed and constructed knives using CPM-S30V should be enough for all of us. We are spoiled.

Cameron

In everyday use I like M390 and VG-10 about equally. They are hard to compare fairly because each steel is on a model that is not available in the other steel.

I have quite a few different steels Spyderco has used over the years. I dont have a favorite at the moment. Currently I'm enjoying CTS-XHP and CPM-CRUEWEAR.

VG10 has seen A LOT of abuse at my previous occupation. Still going strong and is part of my ERT-EDC to this day.

Back