What's your Camp Knife ?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by pitdog, Mar 12, 2012.

1. D R E

D R E

May 25, 2000
    Yowza, that's a beaut!

2. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    Man, this was a fun thread to browse. Siegle really nails convexes. Lots of Gossman goodness too. Fun read.

When I designed my Camp Knife I was thinking of car camping basically. If you were going out lightweight style, a hiking style knife is plenty. But then, I called those sized knives hiking ish names. Mine is a big honking pants dropper that is meant for firewood and shelter pole collection. I wouldn't carry a knife like this on my belt. I keep one near the firewood stack to baton my kindling. My belt knife is 1/10 the weight.

3. Fuori

Fuori

Oct 13, 2014
    I'm shocked there wasn't one mention of the ESEE Laser Strike. Makes me second guess it a bit. Very cool topic to read.

4. MTURBO

MTURBO Banned BANNED

Nov 5, 2014
    I use my "camp knife"
    IMG_20141116_115930_zpsad106fcd.jpg

5. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaf spring bowie I forged, old elk shed scales with a textured foregrip when hand wet or in gloves.

6. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010

Look like a perfect team - beautiful set. :thumbup:

7. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Robert B. What did your blade start as and what is the marking on the blade? Thanks, John

8. Robert.B

Robert.B

Apr 17, 2003
    It was a leaf spring, hammer forged to completion...only descaled with 220 grit paper, then 400 and "stone washed" using a red scotchbrite pad. Marking is my makers mark, R B and mjolnir under it.

9. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Robert.B, thanks, nice job. John

10. Alnamvet68

Alnamvet68

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

11. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    The CABS is a superb woods knife. The convex blade, the INFI steel, just keep on working. Bark River Aurora is also convex, and very capable as well. I don't think one of these is really better than the other.

12. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Don't think I saw a Koyote Knife in this thread...that ain't right! Here's my LBK Woodsman...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Smithhammer

Smithhammer

Nov 9, 2012
    New favorite camp knife - BR's Hudson Bay Camp II:

[​IMG]

Classic as all get-out, but hardly just a 'period reproduction knife.'

9" full-tang blade of A2 with a .200" spine, 14.6" overall.

Took apart a couple Christmas trees with it the other day, and was seriously impressed. I'd put this knife up against a modern chopper any day:

[​IMG]

Fire prep, from splitting to shavings, is a breeze:

[​IMG]

I've used it a fair bit in the kitchen as well, and in my opinion this is what separates the true "camp knife" from a knife that is just a big, dedicated chopper. It sliced meat and veggies as finely as knives 1/3 its size. :thumbup: