What's your Camp Knife ?

John Fitch JS, actually a Bowie.

Works fine as a Camp knife.
Monday starts black bear season and if rifle fails...:)

medium800.jpg

DC…:D :thumbup:

Yowza, that's a beaut!

Man, this was a fun thread to browse. Siegle really nails convexes. Lots of Gossman goodness too. Fun read.

When I designed my Camp Knife I was thinking of car camping basically. If you were going out lightweight style, a hiking style knife is plenty. But then, I called those sized knives hiking ish names. Mine is a big honking pants dropper that is meant for firewood and shelter pole collection. I wouldn't carry a knife like this on my belt. I keep one near the firewood stack to baton my kindling. My belt knife is 1/10 the weight.

I'm shocked there wasn't one mention of the ESEE Laser Strike. Makes me second guess it a bit. Very cool topic to read.

1527083_10152373506281601_3326925717651069869_n.jpg

10421214_10152373397061601_3769903872566768107_n.jpg

Leaf spring bowie I forged, old elk shed scales with a textured foregrip when hand wet or in gloves.

Fiddleback forge custom by Andy Roy. The smaller knife is a Ladyfinger, also made by Andy to match.

Very happy with both of them and they complement each other well.

Look like a perfect team - beautiful set. :thumbup:

Robert B. What did your blade start as and what is the marking on the blade? Thanks, John

It was a leaf spring, hammer forged to completion...only descaled with 220 grit paper, then 400 and "stone washed" using a red scotchbrite pad. Marking is my makers mark, R B and mjolnir under it.

How did the Busse do? How did it compare with the Bark River? Been really thinking about a Boss Street CABS.

The CABS is a superb woods knife. The convex blade, the INFI steel, just keep on working. Bark River Aurora is also convex, and very capable as well. I don't think one of these is really better than the other.

Don't think I saw a Koyote Knife in this thread...that ain't right! Here's my LBK Woodsman...

New favorite camp knife - BR's Hudson Bay Camp II:

9VSCFj.jpg

Classic as all get-out, but hardly just a 'period reproduction knife.'

9" full-tang blade of A2 with a .200" spine, 14.6" overall.

Took apart a couple Christmas trees with it the other day, and was seriously impressed. I'd put this knife up against a modern chopper any day:

iVdMy2.jpg

Fire prep, from splitting to shavings, is a breeze:

YIvPfM.jpg

I've used it a fair bit in the kitchen as well, and in my opinion this is what separates the true "camp knife" from a knife that is just a big, dedicated chopper. It sliced meat and veggies as finely as knives 1/3 its size. :thumbup:

Back