What's your Camp Knife ?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by pitdog, Mar 12, 2012.

1. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Yeah I know this thread has been done before but many people have/want new knives, we have new members and if you are anything like me then you change your mind every 6 months anyway !!!:D

Spring is now upon us ( Not that you would know it over here ) so our thoughts now turn to upcoming camp outs !

So do you have a favourite camp knife ? Is there a knife you want for this coming camp season ?

Pics and discussion always welcome !:thumbup:

2. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    [​IMG]

3. TheGame

TheGame

Sep 24, 2008
    The knife I generally go to to do everything is my Koyote bushbeater, to be honest. A 9+ inch blade does everything I need it to. However, I am going to try a shorter blade this year once it comes out. (Condor Garuda)

4. PeterPHWS

PeterPHWS

Dec 31, 2005
    A more accurate scenario for me is ... which one will I choose ? Like many here I have bought a bunch ... and tried them all to work out which is best ... that then lead to "some favourites" which all seem to do a good job ... but you get to the point where you would struggle to narrow it down further ...

So I just pick one of them and try to "rotate" for a bit of fun and variety ...

Speed at processing wood has me favouring a Busse Khukri ... a light weight option has me going for a Busse again - but this time with a Res C handle which saves on weight, the Basic 9 ... but if wanting something to carry on a belt, as opposed to in a rucksack, I like a whole host of 4 to 5 inch blades in this group and it is harder to decide. Here the "rotation" thing includes everything from Woodlores to Japanese knives to American Customs.

In that last group I have been using a Phil Wilson drop point a lot because it is a thin grind and the steel just holds an edge for ever ... but sometimes I like going back to a scandi ...

I guess I am one of the guys who ends up pitching his tent in the dark because it took an "age" to decide which knife to take ... :D

Here is a typical "grab" at a few to try out ...

[​IMG]

and here are those mentioned but not seen above ... the Basic 9 is on the bottom but the DFLE above it is another great choice ...

[​IMG]

The Phil Wilson is the one in the middle ... third down ... but the others pictured are favourites too ...

[​IMG]

5. crossada

crossada Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2004
    I have been really close to tracking down a Busse BWM for a new toy this year but if you keep posting pics of that Killa Zilla Peter I might change my mind. I however like the looks of the KZ2 better though.

6. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    spyderco bushcraft is my favorite but i got these in recently from battle creek knives (top one is the "creekster" and the other is the "butter finger") so i'll be using them a lot in upcoming trips:

[​IMG]

and hopefully i'll get mine this wednesday, the becker bk-16:

[​IMG]

7. Bumppo

Bumppo

Jan 27, 2006
    Swamp Rat Knife Works Camp Tramp. As a Camp knife, outstanding

8. pilote

pilote

Jul 4, 2009
    my fav for all around camp chores is a SOG Field Pup...

9. hughewil

hughewil

Apr 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

BK2
    Self made knife (new still have to break it in)
    condor bushlore

10. rocketbomb

rocketbomb

Apr 25, 2007
    This Turley made to my specs. It was the last knife I have bought. That was a full year ago :eek:

[​IMG]

11. tknife

tknife

Mar 18, 1999
    Sweet score Rockywolf, I wanted that one! :D

12. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    This one, though it hasn't actually been camping yet. Stabilized koa handle with a 6 1/8" long, 3/16" thick O1 blade.

[​IMG]

13. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Thanks, T! It arrived today. Beefier than imagined and a very comfortable handle. It is going to Glacier with me later this year.

14. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    BK2, soon to become BK16.

15. tlovesknives

tlovesknives

Apr 6, 2011
    the knife that goes with me on every camp trip is of course, my bk2.
    bk2mod.jpg

but i just scored a kfu from another member and will be taking her out on upcoming trips to see how she performs.
    DSC_0003.jpg

16. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    OK, my current field knife (in a non-field environment):
    [​IMG]

My coming soon from "Breeden's Razors" field knife:
    [​IMG]

This will be my 1st Spring/Summer/Fall (who knows how long) back in the States in quite awhile and it's gonna be a KNIFE and FIELD-CRAFT Season!!!! My kids are going to be earning/receiving their knives and then working on honing their field-craft skills as well as some Family camping trips (backpacking and car camping).

17. droptyne

droptyne Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2011
    This one... its an Entrek Bravo 11... I remade the handles myself, took 200 grit to the sandblasted finish, and soon to make a kydex sheath for it since my German short-hair pointer ate the factory one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Please share some pics when it arrives !

19. fmajor007

fmajor007

Apr 1, 2010
    Will do. Sometime mid-April is when the man said he'd have it done. Anticipation!

20. Riverwarrior

Riverwarrior

Sep 17, 2010
    Backwoods "Survival Kephart".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]