What's your favorite concealed carry gun?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Krav, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    Don't count out a S&W 642 (or any Jframe), they fit anywhere. I have a Sp101 in 9mm ( moon clips, & discontinued), but my J-frames are a lot more pocketable especially hammerless models.

2. RevDevil

RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    Switch those 2. Carry your money in your right pocket (unless you are a lefty) and the phone in the left pocket. I usually have a large folder and I don't like to keep my phone and knife in the same pocket. I use a SaddleBack Leather wallet, the smallest one they make. I don't think I can pocket carry a handgun, I don't wear tight pants, but the bulk in the pocket would be annoying to me. A belt holster is a good idea.
    My local gun shop is decent, one of them anyway. A guy I spoke with about this a month ago mentioned. The MP might be the best economical choice, next would be Glock, XD, followed by H&K, then Sig. I would shop online, figure out what it would cost and find a local guy to do the FFL transfer fee for around $20. Some gun shops charge upwards of $100 for a transfer, completely ridiculous. I found a Glock 23 with the case, 3 mags, holster, etc for $525 online at one point, the same kit costs just under $700 at the shop. Sometimes you can get them to drop the price a bit by negotiating wisely.

3. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    I like the S&W 340 and 360 wheel guns. 11 1/2 ozs., laser grips, .38 and .357 capability, SAO or double action, etc. Not range shooters but OK if your adrenaline is up. Pure pleasure to carry.

4. ralphtt

ralphtt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 1999
    G43
    With Pearce +1 magazine

5. MajorLonghorn

MajorLonghorn

Jul 6, 2012
    Walther PPS.

6. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Used to carry my phone and money like that.? For the life of me I'm not sure why I switched it? I think it was for work reasons, people calling for estimates during work, I'm right handed. I'm switching back today.

I use a folding money clip over a card holder. I need something that hold 7 to 10 cards thin. I need to have these cards on my person for work. I'm really liking the ruger Lc9 and the G26 G43
    Thanks everyone

7. firefighterguy

firefighterguy

Sep 30, 2014
    Pocket carry is nice. But unless you have your hand on the gun, it's a very slow way to draw. God forbid, you ever end up on your back in a fight for your life. Your chances of getting the gun out are not in your favor.

I ended up getting a phone case that doubles as a wallet. Now I can pocket carry. It's too much with phone keys and wallet in the left pocket. Wallet in the back pocket is not an option for me. Anyone with back issues knows this.

8. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    For over 40 years, my first choice was a J frame Smith and Wesson .38. The old model 60 with a bobbed hammer. They didn't have the hammerless J frames in stainless back in the early 70's when I bought the gun, and the hammer caught pocket lining very well. I never found a situation where the gun was inadequate, if a little heavy in the pocket.
    [​IMG]

In the mid 80's I bought an air weight J frame .38. Great gun used wadcutters in it and it was actually pleasant to shoot. Carried it a lot on back packing trips and fishing trips. Fit well in the side pocket on my jeans or cargo pants, or jacket pocket. If I were in damp/wet conditions, the stales snubbie took over.
    [​IMG]

Having said all that, I have retired my little J frames for a small Glock. I love the .38 revolvers, and had total faith in them. But life goes on, and in my senior citizen years, my eyes could no longer even find the skinny front sights on the J frames. Age takes it toll on us, no matter how we may be in denial, but sooner or later we have to adapt. My cousin got me shooting his Glock 26, and Ihadn't shot that well in years. Good sights, good gun, and I had rounds going in the 10 ring on half size silhouettes like I hadn't done in a long time. The Glock 26 is about the same overall bulk of the model 60 J frame revolver, is more accurate for me, gives me twice the rounds on hand, and is just easier to shoot quick and fast. Much better trigger pull on an more hand filling grip than the J frames. Things change and 20 years ago I'd never had moved to the Glock. It's whatever works for you. For me at this stage of my life, the baby Glcok works better than anything else.
    [​IMG]

ButÂ…

My very favorite carry gun? Theone I slip into a pocket more than any other gun?

[​IMG]

About the size and bulk of a Zippo lighter, carries in deep concealment, and is my personal favorite. Yeah, it's a .22, but in summer and nylon shorts and t shirt, anything else is hard to conceal. Like the first rule of gunfighting; have a gun. At a semi dress up occasion, it fits down in the pocket of dress slacks fine, but on a dark parking lot it can be a surprise in the dark, like many derringer class pistols over the last century and a half. And it's sooooo darn easy to carry, the other guns can't compare. As for the Cooper students and naysayers, we have an interesting triple murder case going on here. A wacko involved in local politics went on a killing spree and shot to death three of his political enemies. He went around ringing their doorbell at night, and when they answered, he shot them at point black range in the chest with e North American .22. Killed all three people.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  9. mwerner

mwerner

Apr 23, 2002
    Glock 27. I went with the .40 because that's what our department uses. One of those "hybrid" IWB holster rigs. My normal summer wear are khaki shorts and a pullover polo... Works great for that.

10. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Got a pic?

The Glock just doesn't fit in a pocket like the little revolvers, so I'm looking at different rigs to conceal.

11. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    Any o the +p rated airweight j-frames. Pocket carry is indeed underrated.
    If you're considering a G26 just get a 19, IMO. The thickness is the same and with one in the chamber ya can't really just drop it in a pocket anyway.
    I know the LC9 isn't real popular, but I got one in partial payment for a custom and it's a perfectly good working auto-and with the manual safety you can just stick it in a pocket without fear of being the guy with the Loud Pants.
    Mine is the old hammer fired DAO (which doesn't bother me, but drives some folks nuts). The new striker fired ones have a pretty slick trigger.

12. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    The glock 43 might be worth a look. Single stack 9mm.

13. Gavin S.

Gavin S.

Apr 9, 2009
    Tosh.0 had a Hickok45 video on Tuesday night. It was him carving a pumpkin with a lever gun. Tosh went easy on him.

14. shandrydan1

shandrydan1

Feb 16, 2011
    I carry a XDs in 9mm iwb the majority of the time, usually about the 4 o'clock position. I usually carry with the mid magazine and don't really have issues with printing. It is really fun and easy to shoot.

As far as the grip safety, in hand or shooting I have never noticed it really. I also have an XDm compact .45 that I will conceal carry as well with the same type of grip safety. As with some others I am not a big fan of wanting a manual safety on a carry gun.

15. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    Glock 19 with Speer gold dots, 115 or 124gr. When that's not possible it's the LCP .380 with gold dots, 90gr.

Going to be replacing the LCP with a Glock 43 in 9mm as my backup gun soo . The LCP will then go into my car as a permanent vehicle gun.

16. JOELSM

JOELSM Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2007
    If you're considering a HK VP9 look at the Walther PPQ. The PPQ has one of the nicest striker fired triggers that I've ever shot...I own Glocks, but was very impressed with the 9mm PPQ after a range session. It and the VP9 are very similar in look and feel, but you should be able to find the PPQ at a better price point. Both are quality guns though.

17. rick melear

rick melear Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Kahr P9 in a Cross Breed IWB for 6 years.

18. Krav

Jun 6, 2013
    Here's the clip without tosh.o lol I'd like to see the clip with tosh, I'll dig around a bit more.

http://tosh.cc.com/blog/category/raw-clips

19. Krav

Jun 6, 2013
    Before I got the vp9 I asked to see a ppq. They didn't have any in stock. Then I put the h&k in my hand, and yeh I bought it. I have heard the ppq trigger is a bit better, crisp.

20. MTURBO

MTURBO Banned BANNED

Nov 5, 2014
    My favorite concealed carry gun is a Colt detective Special.