What's your favorite concealed carry gun?

Have you considered a S&W Shield? Mine is accurate and though I have never had experience with any of the guns you have mentioned I have read that the Shield is a softer shooter, less snappy, than most of the other pistols. They are thin and are easy to conceal but capacity may be a problem for you. Mine has a capacity of 8+1 but MagGuts makes a magazine spring that increases the capacity by 1 or 9+1. With the Shield you could buy several extra 8 round mags and conversion kits and still be well under your budget. I think it all comes down to what you are most comfortable with. Hold all the different guns and if possible shoot them then buy the one that fits you.

Not trying to speak for SpyderPhreak here but depending on the state it can be considered a crime. Printing heavily can be considered brandishing in certain states or against the law because your gun is not "concealed". Most cops won't care but if it gets seen by the wrong person or reported by too many people it can mean trouble. Here in Vegas all it takes is two witnesses to constitute brandishing. So if two people call Metro and report that they felt you were exposing your weapon in what they felt was a threatening manner, guess what you get to have a chat with the police. Will it result in a charge or fine, probably not, will it be a huge annoying waste of time, definitely.

Oh ok, wasn't aware of any state's brandishing law. Thanks for the clarification. Where I live I've never heard of it, but have seen a few open carriers which is legal here, but I have always been conscious of printing. In all honesty, most people are so self-centered or caught up in their phones, as long as you're not wearing obvious clothing like a "come and take it" shirt with a huge AR15 on there and arguably begging for attention, most people will never notice you. It can hard to convince yourself though when you have about a pound of metal and plastic on your hip protruding like a huge side erection. Hmm, maybe a good reason for appendix carry instead lol.

I can't say with certainty (which is why I was generalizing), but as Stainless pointed out, I do believe someone being able to see your CCW can be illegal in some places. It can also be considered open carry, which is most definitely against the law in some places. I practice "concealed is concealed", so if I'm carrying my CCW, nobody else should know unless I have to use it. I think that's the safest bet.

With a good belt and holster though, you shouldn't have to worry too much about printing. I can get away with wearing a t-shirt with most of my rigs, all carried with a Beltman belt and Milt Sparks VM2, without appreciable printing. Otherwise, I move to a smaller firearm and pocket carry.

I have a fair bit of experience carrying concealed. I've never made a problem of the size of the gun, I even carried a 4" model 29 with full loads and a speedloader, so I am not representative of most CCW carriers. If you think comfort is important, just make it as small as possible while still carrying a viable SD caliber, and keeping it reliable. I know too many people who were allowed to carry but didn't because it was a hassle to them. While I carried a Glock 20 and two extra mags. :rolleyes:
In later years I carried a Glock 26 - still with two extra (19 round) mags.

Two basic rules for an effective SD gun: you gotta have it on you, and it's gotta go bang when you press the trigger. IMO, everything else is secondary.

Not intending to turn this into a political thread, but I'm just curious what you think could happen. Obviously won't carry in a courthouse or federal building whatsoever. Banks can be touchy, but my usual banks have zero security and I won't confirm nor deny I've carried in there before and would only deep carry in there anyway. If it's somewhere like Chipotle that has a no guns sign, what can they do other than ask you to leave? Those are the type places I always carry.

It's sad these days we feel like we have to strap up like going into battle, but it gets crazier everyday. Recently, at a large, very nice outdoor mall that my parents frequent, 3 armed dudes busted up in one store and robbed every person in there in probably the most random store you could imagine...a large name brand furniture store. Thanks Al Gore for online shopping. ;)

I just took my CCW permit course today. Was 8 1/2 hours. Someone asked the teacher what would happen in N.C. If you carried a concealed hand gun in a area, like a mall, or any store that has the sign up saying no guns aloud in this area.

He said, you would be asked to leave. If someone noticed it. And if it was a police officer and you refused, they would help you leave. And you could face a mister meaner trespassing charge.

Not sure if that applies in like state facilities, hospitals, trooper barracks, court houses and such. I'd imagine it would be a little bit more serious.

I just took my CCW permit course today. Was 8 1/2 hours. Someone asked the teacher what would happen in N.C. If you carried a concealed hand gun in a area, like a mall, or any store that has the sign up saying no guns aloud in this area.

He said, you would be asked to leave. If someone noticed it. And if it was a police officer and you refused, they would help you leave. And you could face a mister meaner trespassing charge.

Not sure if that applies in like state facilities, hospitals, trooper barracks, court houses and such. I'd imagine it would be a little bit more serious.

Private property and gov't property are completely different animals!!!

At least here, if there is a sign up on private property and you're somehow caught carrying (without using it), about the worst that can happen is you'll get asked to leave. (Remember, I said concealed is concealed!) Only if you refuse can they press charges for trespassing (at least if we're talking about a public place).

However, if there are signs up on gov't property and you're caught carrying, it's a whole 'nother ball game. Broken laws, fines, you might even get yourself shot! :eek: For the most part, here, that mostly means places with metal detectors at all entries and no K-12 schools.

Live in Canada cannot carry a handgun at all legally. But if you are going to do it carry a 45 as in a 1911 a1 or a clone, made by whoever you want. I own a Springfield but Kimber makes some AWSOME everday carry guns. CHEERS Just my opinion!

Sig P238. Can hardly tell it's there under a tee shirt using the stock holster, and it's pretty much invisible using an IWB or even an OWB speed holster.

I could carry strapped to my forehead if I wanted, but I prefer that only I know that I am more prepared for a bad day than the average citizen.

IMG_9794-Edit.jpg

That's what's great about VA. It's an OC state. If you CC and your hand gun prints or exposes itself, so what. No big deal. I OC but maintain a VA CHP so if it rains and I don a raincoat I remain within the law. It's asinine. I can OC simply by choosing to do so with no need to first gain the government's permission. But if I then don a raincoat, I must first be granted the government's permission else I'll be acting outside of the law. Totally asinine. Constitutional Carry is the way forward.

Signs banning firearms on property also have no force of law in VA. If you carry in a place (posted or not) and are asked to leave, you must else you can be charged with criminal trespass. In some states/jurisdictions, such signs do carry the force of law. Just know the laws for the place in which you find yourself.

Same in PA pretty much. You can OC without a permit, and with a permit (LTCF) you can CC or OC. I've never bothered with OC, I don't bash it but I'll take the advantage of having my firearm concealed. Private property no gun signs basically don't mean jack here, but again if they somehow find out you are carrying they can only ask you to leave. No legal issues unless you refused to leave for some reason. It's illegal to carry in government buildings/property like court rooms, post offices etc.

That's what's great about VA. It's an OC state. If you CC and your hand gun prints or exposes itself, so what. No big deal. I OC but maintain a VA CHP so if it rains and I don a raincoat I remain within the law. It's asinine. I can OC simply by choosing to do so with no need to first gain the government's permission. But if I then don a raincoat, I must first be granted the government's permission else I'll be acting outside of the law. Totally asinine. Constitutional Carry is the way forward.

Signs banning firearms on property also have no force of law in VA. If you carry in a place (posted or not) and are asked to leave, you must else you can be charged with criminal trespass. In some states/jurisdictions, such signs do carry the force of law. Just know the laws for the place in which you find yourself.

Same in PA pretty much. You can OC without a permit, and with a permit (LTCF) you can CC or OC. I've never bothered with OC, I don't bash it but I'll take the advantage of having my firearm concealed. Private property no gun signs basically don't mean jack here, but again if they somehow find out you are carrying they can only ask you to leave. No legal issues unless you refused to leave for some reason. It's illegal to carry in government buildings/property like court rooms, post offices etc.

Colorado is pretty much the same. Signs on private property carry no weight of the law. I agree leghog, Constitutional carry IS the way forward. Unfortunately, without buy-in from ALL 50 states, it won't happen. And let's be realistic here, do you ever expect über-liberal CA and NY to buy-in? I sure as hell don't. :grumpy:

Post Offices are an interesting grey area. They're on gov't property, but they're not gov't facilities, as the postal service is not a gov't agency, even though they're gov't funded. But they DO have signs stating that it is illegal to carry on the property. Much debate has been had on this subject. A conundrum, for sure.

Last edited:
Back