What's your favorite POCKET knife?

RDaneel

Gold Member
You know what I mean. It has to be the kind of knife you don't mind being down there among the coins, lint and whatever in your pocket. The knife you carried as a kid, or your dad had.

I'm trying to come up with a good carry option in this arena of knifedom. I usually run to the stockman or whittler patterns so as not to totally weigh down my pocket. I'm not averse to carbon steel or stainless as long as the knife does what it's supposed to.

My longest time carry like this was a Scrade Uncle Henry 897UH. Carried it for over 10 years. It gave good service. A pretty standard knife, but there may be better.

So what do you carry? Why?

Dean

I have several pocket knives I carry depending on the occasion or depending on what I happen to grab and throw in my pocket. They include an Aitor Patrullero, Aitor El Capitan, Small folder by Andujar(don't know the name or model #),Victorinox Classic or Tinker, Wenger Standard Issue, Buck Ecco, Schrade 8OT, Meyerco Rascal, Kershaw Chive, Gerber LST, Camillus EDC and lately I've been carrying a Tigersharp Neon. All have scratches on the handles and/or on the blades, and I have no regrets. They were all made for cutting and perform nicely for tasks suited for small or mid sized folders.

I just got a nifty catalog from Bulldog Knives today. They have quite a variety of pocket knives ranging from antiques to reproductions of antiques in just about every configuration and size imaginable. Many also feature etched blades with old fashioned advertising and logos. Really neat stuff although I have no idea of the quality. Most are reasonably priced. 1-800-247-0599 for orders. 423-894-5102 for info and probably catalogs.

I'm leaning towards a 3 1/2 inch canoe style with stag handles for $33.

There are two knives that are always in my pocket - a Victorinox executive, and a Buck 503. The buck is 3.25" long, and has a single locking blade - a great, inexpensive
knife that can probablyh cut anything I'm likely to need to in a typical suburban day. The exectuive is a thin 3", and has decent scissors, nail file, and a couple of tiny blades that won't scare anyone.

Often I have one or two other knives with me, but those two are always down with the keys and the change someplace.

It's not what you had in mind exactly, but I drop a blue, serrated Delica in with my keys and crap. It's inexpensive enough that I don't care about it getting mucked up, it's sharp as hell, and it's a lockback so it stays closed without help from the clip and pants.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
POCKET knives, things of the past for the most part but still loved by all! I Always carry an Executive SAK and as of late a very cool Kershaw folder called the Double Cross, one blade a clip point and the other a smaller one, a wharncliff, the really neat deal about this knife, both blades have thumb studs and the middle section of the liner is slit on both ends so that it becomes a Liner Lock for each of the blades, what a concept! There is slight up and down play on the blades but not much to speak of, no side to side play on these, I use the larger clip point blade to slice my fruits each morning at work, apples, pears and what have you, also sharpen the occasional pencil and open the envelopes when they need it.

Highly reccomend both knives, but the nod goes to the Kershaw for the POCKET knife department!
G2

Things of the past? But, they're almost all I own! :eek: I have several pocketknives I carry. An Old Timer 8 OT, Uncle Henry 897, Buck 301 and 303 get the most pocket time. The Old Timer is my favorite. I have a Gerber LST, and a couple of SAKs I carry often, too. And even though they are kinda big, I have a Case trapper and a couple of Old Timer trappers I carry when I'm in the outdoors. These knives do almost all of my cutting jobs, and never let me down.

My favorite pocket knives are the ones that'll probably be illegal in five years. Sorry, just a bit of sarcasm spewed out. Well, for now it's simply a lightweight Delica.:cool:

I just got a Case yellow jacket sodbuster jr. with the chrome vanadium blade and it seems to be the knife I always have with me.

So I guess I like it.

I like to carry my old, vintage Camillus Carpenter's Whittler, or a recently acquired Schrade-Walden Stockman.

I have a thing for old carbon steel slipjoints with a nice patina and a razor edge.

Henckels two blade congress with stag handles. This knife is a real peach, though I seldom carry it.

I have several other favorites that I carry more frequently:

SAK farmer- checkered red aluminum scales, the regular blades+saw.

Case trapper- Red jigged bone scales

Remington Stockman- A green handled Camillus job.

I had this old Camillus electrician knife that I loved. I have never had a more useful knife with just two blades. The screwdriver blade was one of the few blades I could use to pry stuff without feeling guilty afterwards.

Sam

Victorinox Tinker, all day, every day. I've got black, Red and White right now in this pattern. Black has been my carry for about a year now.

Clipless small Sebenza, when it's not in a sheath.

Victorinox Recruit, and Cadet. The main blades are long enough for small chores, and I use a flathead screwdriver alot, so they come in handy. Got the Cadet to replace the Recruit away from work, since it's slimmer, and I don't miss the tweezers since the Classic on my keyring has them, too.

Got an old carbon steel Schrade 3-blade Stockman that I really like, but one day at work covered all the blades in rust. Rarely carry it.

I've been eyeing some nice slipjoints recently, but can't make up my mind:rolleyes:

Before I got bitten by the higher end folders I used to only carry an Old Timer Pal. The downside is that I must have lost 5 of those things over the years until I started carrying knives with clips. -Rick

edmoses

Usual Suspect
I keep my Emerson SOFCK down in my pocket most days.

I am thinking of becomming more PC and replacing it with my CQC5 - smaller blade and no serrations.

Regards,

Ed
Usual Suspect

wolfmann601

Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.
Usually a BM 710, a 722 an L-UDT for duty and always a little ATKO 4T
wolf