What's your latest Schrade? START DATE 3/18

Which remindes me,

I just got this little guy. Not perfect condition my any means, but got it super cheap so probably worth it.

When I was 8 or 9 years my Grandad took me to an old timey hardware store to pick out my very first new to me pocketknife. A 3 OT was what I chose. Cool little knives.

I wanted to give my adult daughter an EDC pocketknife so I bought a FF8OTCP for her. But it turned out to be a stiff finger breaker from all the dried factory oil and I couldn't get it to loosen up. So today I traded it for an alternative. I have had a Simon for many years and they are great knives for one so simple!

Very cool. That's a neat keychain knife. I've had a schrade sp1 on my key ring since about 1990, but if I had to replace it, that looks like a good option.

Here is my latest. A special factory order for True Value Hardware's Master Mechanic line. This base model is the Schrade SP-7 "Turbo" which was cataloged only in 1989 and 1990. TV ordered these knives in 1989 to go along with their Old Timer and Uncle Henry knives also marked with Master Mechanic branding.

Just in a Schrade Walden built 861 stockman with Craftsman 9514 branding. Most of the Craftsman 9514 model knives were the square bolstered 881 pattern, but this is the slenderino 4" version. If anyone knows when these were made, please chime in! I looked through a decade of Sears catalogs from 1961-'71 and could not find this knife.

0e7fhOZ.jpg

LRaDWUP.jpg

zShaZ9k.jpg

I got bored this weekend and picked up a few cheap Lightweight lockbacks. The first two still in their original boxes were made for and sold by outfitter merchant L.L. Bean.

The lightweights aren't in great demand so prices remain fair. Often still below original MSRP for NIB specimens such as these two.

These next two are NIB examples of the SP1. First in production maroon Zytel in the display window box and second in production black Zytel in the fold down box. The maroon was earliest production and featured a coined metal shield. Later production was the black Zytel with molded in shielding.

Just in a Schrade Walden built 861 stockman with Craftsman 9514 branding. Most of the Craftsman 9514 model knives were the square bolstered 881 pattern, but this is the slenderino 4" version. If anyone knows when these were made, please chime in! I looked through a decade of Sears catalogs from 1961-'71 and could not find this knife.

I harvested a bunch of Sears Christmas catalog listings a while back. My gut tells me that your knife is from the 1950's because it's bone and the Christmas catalogs seems to support this idea. I couldn't find your exact knife but by 1962 the "slim premium" was listed as having "bonite" handles and in 1964 was listed as "staglon". Note that these knives have a different shield as well.

I think your '60s assumption was a little late. Think '50s instead. Schrade seemed to wind down their use of both bone and MOP on standard production in the 1950's. I think your knife is most likely mid 1950's production. That's my best guess.

1962 Christmas catalog:
YIoJSrc.jpg

1964 Christmas catalog:
tppzh8D.jpg

I appreciate your input, but I'm pretty sure this one has synthetic covers. That's why I looked starting in 1961, but maybe I need to go back further, just in case!

I appreciate your input, but I'm pretty sure this one has synthetic covers. That's why I looked starting in 1961, but maybe I need to go back further, just in case!

Oops! After a closer look that may be delrin. I went down the wrong path.

The 861 was produced for the whole Schrade Walden period so that makes it harder to pin down. Your knife is post-bonite (used in '50s and early '60s) and pre-1973. I suspect you already knew as much. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I had a fun piece of cardboard arrive in the mail today. Pin-plethora!

Pictured with a recently aquired OTC72 for scale. Knife is 2-7/8" long.

iYwJurW.jpg

IWTdwaL.jpg

Today I landed the correct box for my 14kt gold Fortune knife. It has the outer sleeve too. It was kinda pricey but these boxes are hard to find (75 years later) and I really wanted to display the knife in its original luxury.

IC3LnR6.jpg

B9zzXDk.jpg

nrMBkIK.jpg

fBOMvMv.jpg

GDze1oE.jpg

Today I landed the correct box for my 14kt gold Fortune knife. It has the outer sleeve too. It was kinda pricey but these boxes are hard to find (75 years later) and I really wanted to display the knife in its original luxury.

IC3LnR6.jpg

B9zzXDk.jpg

nrMBkIK.jpg

fBOMvMv.jpg

GDze1oE.jpg
Quite an accomplishment acquiring that box and in such good shape! One can only speculate on how it got separated from it's original contents,

Finding a USA made Schrade in the Netherlands is next to impossible. Especially the LB7, with serialization even harder.
But lately I got very lucky and found shortly after one another the LB5 and LB7. Both with sheath and in unused condition.

They make me smile :)

FS_SCHRADE_LB5(2).jpg

FS_SCHRADE_LB7(3).jpg

Last edited:
Finding a USA made Schrade in the Netherlands is next to impossible. Especially the LB7, with serialization even harder.
But lately I got very lucky and found shortly after one another the LB5 and LB7. Both with sheath and in unused condition.

They make me smile :)

Congrats! Both from about same time period too (same stamps and sheaths). Although Canada shares a border with USA, there aren't a lot of good Schrades floating around here either. If it wasn't for the internet...

wouter1967, just thought I'd add that the LB5 & LB7 pics you took look really good. You make me want to kick my scanner to the curb and get to it with a light-box and camera. Nice choice of back-ground. Classy and complete labelling. I'd be putting a copyright on them too. Well done!

wouter1967, just thought I'd add that the LB5 & LB7 pics you took look really good. You make me want to kick my scanner to the curb and get to it with a light-box and camera. Nice choice of back-ground. Classy and complete labelling. I'd be putting a copyright on them too. Well done!

Thank you for your kind words.
I appreciate it a lot.

Taking pictures does take time and lots of failures.
Sometimes it just doesn't work and sometimes you get the lucky shot.

~Wouter

Last edited:
Back