Whats your next watch?

I also had some Casio model, around $60. I just got his one.

rw2khk.jpg

A Fossil machine FS4656. I really like it, only thing I dislike is that it has no backlight or GITD.

Thinking about Seagull's 1963 Chinese Air Force reissue.

zoom_371.jpg

Still thinking because it's $100 over my budget. It would be my only mechanical chronograph, my only hand-winder, and my only watch with no (as in zero) water resistance.

I wouldn't recommend it. The quality is... not good at best. It actually isn't even made by Seagull.

I always tell myself I'll get the Sinn U1 next but things just keep coming up:

Been seriously considering a Panerai Radiomir in brown. Just need to decide if I want a 44mm x 18mm case.

I've got a Glycine Combat Sub auto hitting the mail coming my way today. I can't wait.

I wouldn't recommend it. The quality is... not good at best. It actually isn't even made by Seagull.

Seagull's 1963 Air Force homage was a limited production model which is now discontinued. They probably lost money on it. If you visit China, you may be able to buy old stock directly from Seagull.

There are people in China, some of them former Seagull employees, who assemble this watch from parts bought from Seagull and Seagull's subcontractors. Everyone agrees that their quality control is not as good as Seagull's, so it is important to buy from a dealer with a long record of supporting the product by adjustment or replacement. There are two long threads about this at Watchuseek:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/seagull-1963-reissue-available-seagull-hk-directly-420653.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/1963-chinese-air-force-style-watches-thomas-others-821627.html

This is not an easy watch to buy. It is based on a cheap, 50 year-old military watch with no water resistance and no lume, and is not a practical purchase by anyone's definition of practical. It is not a collectors' piece or an investment. So why would anyone want it?

It is a little piece of history with a Venus 175 column wheel chronograph movement. The Venus 175 was produced at the former Fabrique d'Ebauches Venus S.A. in Moutier between 1940 and the mid 60's. It was a hand-wound column wheel movement used extensively in chronograph watches of the 1940s and 1950s, especially by Breitling. In 1963, Venus decided to switch production to an automatic movement and tried to finance retooling by selling the 175 to the Soviet Union. The Soviets weren't interested but China was. China had severed diplomatic and commercial relations with the USSR in 1962, and since they could no longer buy chronograph movements from Strela, they bought Venus's tooling to make the 175 themselves.

sea-gull_1963_sneaker.jpg

Not that I plan on buying another for many years but I fancy the Omega PO chronograph.

I have been on a watch run for a while. In fact, I (gasp) sold a bunch of knives and used the funds for watches. I have an Omega Seamaster "Bond" which I love and picked up a vintage Speedmaster last year at a good price. I like the PO Chrono, but not at the prices Omega is charging these days. This was my latest pick up -- best readability (day or night) of any watch I've owned and winding it feels really solid.

attachment.php

Seagull's 1963 Air Force homage was a limited production model which is now discontinued. They probably lost money on it. If you visit China, you may be able to buy old stock directly from Seagull.

There are people in China, some of them former Seagull employees, who assemble this watch from parts bought from Seagull and Seagull's subcontractors. Everyone agrees that their quality control is not as good as Seagull's, so it is important to buy from a dealer with a long record of supporting the product by adjustment or replacement. There are two long threads about this at Watchuseek:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/seagull-1963-reissue-available-seagull-hk-directly-420653.html

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/1963-chinese-air-force-style-watches-thomas-others-821627.html

This is not an easy watch to buy. It is based on a cheap, 50 year-old military watch with no water resistance and no lume, and is not a practical purchase by anyone's definition of practical. It is not a collectors' piece or an investment. So why would anyone want it?

It is a little piece of history with a Venus 175 column wheel chronograph movement. The Venus 175 was produced at the former Fabrique d'Ebauches Venus S.A. in Moutier between 1940 and the mid 60's. It was a hand-wound column wheel movement used extensively in chronograph watches of the 1940s and 1950s, especially by Breitling. In 1963, Venus decided to switch production to an automatic movement and tried to finance retooling by selling the 175 to the Soviet Union. The Soviets weren't interested but China was. China had severed diplomatic and commercial relations with the USSR in 1962, and since they could no longer buy chronograph movements from Strela, they bought Venus's tooling to make the 175 themselves.

sea-gull_1963_sneaker.jpg

I used to visit Watchuseek forums, the QC on those watches was not very good at all. I am fully aware of the movement, and fully aware who had them made. I am also fully aware that the swiss Venus was of far higher quality.
I also owned two of them my self both were terribly assembled poorly oiled very rough, nothing like the seagull chronographs I've seen.
One was NIB from you know who, the other NIB from a user (he accepted a refund thankfully).

Shipping them for service is a headache, I had to do that once (took 2 months to and from china, and cost me $35 for shipping).

I also owned two of them my self both were terribly assembled poorly oiled very rough, nothing like the seagull chronographs I've seen.
One was NIB from you know who, the other NIB from a user (he accepted a refund thankfully).

Luis, somehow that sounds like it's not the watch for me. And I wasn't kidding about $100 over my budget.

I've been dithering all year over which Vostok Amphibia to buy. That's something I can afford. All I know for sure is that it won't have a frogman or a war machine on the dial. Too bad, because I really like the numbers on this . . .

2195ca

Another one of these when the one I'm wearing dies. It's 8 years old and still on it's original battery. I think the MSRP is up to $12.95

casio_w59.jpg

:D
Good call. I have a 10 year old G Shock that may last longer than I will. I chose to spend valuable resources on things that are more important to me.

Luis, somehow that sounds like it's not the watch for me. And I wasn't kidding about $100 over my budget.

I've been dithering all year over which Vostok Amphibia to buy. That's something I can afford. All I know for sure is that it won't have a frogman or a war machine on the dial. Too bad, because I really like the numbers on this . . .

2195ca

Didn't mean to come out so negative about the seagull "homage" however I wouldn't want someone to buy a chronograph movement, and have to find out with their wallet than they didn't get what they bargained for.
No watchmaker would work on it in my area.
Out of 7 watchmakers in my area, only one honest one said he knew the movement because it was an old swiss one and he knew a little of the history, however he wouldn't work on it because the Chinese tend to modify them, and assemble them improperly. He has had bad luck repairing Chinese movements: either noticing damage that was there previously or damaging the movement himself because of bad assembly. I my self agree with the watchmaker. I've purchased something like 20 movements from. All have had flaws but worked fine.

The only Chinese watches I would trust under $500 are some Seagull made watches. I would only trust beijing watch factory in the $500+ range.

I crave a Rolex Sub, with a green or blue face. Prolly be a few years, though.

haha this EXACT watch is on my list of high ends to get

Right now I'm EDW a Invicta Sea hunter, was a gift form a friend. Suprisingly I like it ALOT. the Luminox on it is a crazy cobalt blue!
51fm8Sft%2BaL.jpg

My grandfather gave me a Rolex GMT master form the '70's that doesnt work.... would LOVE to get it fixed, but i dont have the time or money............... or the exact location of it :rolleyes:

I have lots of watches and don't need anymore but I've been wanting a Steinhart GMT. Of course it uses Rolex styling, but it is larger. The standard Rolex is too small for me. The Steinharts are almost impossible to buy right now.

866313103ocean-gmt_pepsi_01.jpg

Wish I had the funds for an Omega or Rolex (maybe later in life). But since I am a student with only a part time job, my next watch is a Hamilton Viewmatic http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en/gents/american-classic/jazzmaster/viewmatic-auto/H32515535

Also just got into watches! Especially automatic ones, they are quite fascinating! When my Hamilton arrives I think I need another watch that can take a beating, probably a g-shock.

One of these days I will aquire an Omega or Panerai or Rolex :D

This is it for me, the Omega Planet Ocean:

6673375111_b6205fdfc2_z.jpg

I have been having some self control. I just passed on one in excellent condition because my daughter is starting college in the fall and I need some self-control. Eventually I will pick one up.

Back