1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

When a sharp knife can be a dangerous knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by scubisino, Aug 8, 2016.

1. robgmn

robgmn

Oct 30, 2015
    Did you eat some mushrooms before cutting and mistake your thumb for a 'shroom? :)

2. ncmiked

ncmiked

Feb 15, 2016
    Lol nothing like that, just got distracted.

3. bt93

bt93 Gold Member Gold Member

May 12, 2015
    Anyone who uses knives are sure to nick themselves sooner or later, some sooner. Keep'em sharp and tell anyone who nicks themselves while borrowing it that it builds character.

4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The sharper the knife the cleaner the cut so no, don't keep a dull loaner knife.
    it's not a real knife unless it's very sharp, so just let someone know it's a real knife when you hand it to them 👍

5. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Sharp knives aren't dangerous, but fishing IS.

6. JR88FAN

JR88FAN

May 5, 2013
    Most people don't regularly handle really sharp knives....most "kitchen" knives are not exactly sharp.

Beyond that, it's about handling different knives and how to use them without cutting yourself.
    You need to understand the difference between handling a folder vs a fixed blade and then all the variances in both of those designs.

If you still end up cutting yourself, accidents happen.

7. Smokinape

Smokinape

Jan 21, 2011
    A sharp knife is a safe knife.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Knivesandreels

Knivesandreels

Jun 18, 2016
    Lol! Yeah I'd say No but my injury record would prove me wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Yes! Always warn the family when you sharpen the knives! I have family complain about the knives being dull, and in the past I would sharpen and not say anything. I just would not think to tell them. Then I get called into the kitchen and family room to play medic 5 times that week! Not I tell them I just sharpened the knives!

10. GREENJACKET

GREENJACKET

Feb 23, 2000
    I used to have to warn my wife when I had sharpened the kitchen knives as she wasn't use to very sharp knives and got bitten a few times. Now she complains if they aren't super sharp.
    Thick knives behave differently to thin kitchen knives, so need to be driven differently. Experience helps.

11. peterbright

peterbright Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Love all the knife videos on YouTube when the presenter has bandaids on their fingers.

12. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    For a regular cook (and I am), I cannot imagine how awkward it is to use a folder in the kitchen. Back to the topic, both dull and sharp knives can be dangerous. Overall, I think sharp knives are more dangerous.

13. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Some people should not handle really sharp knives. Best to not let unfamiliar people handle your sharp knives, or at least warn them, warn them again, and supervise them.

There is the old saying that a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife, I don't think this is true of a really sharp knife. An accident with a really sharp knife can do a lot of damage, always be careful.

14. scubisino

scubisino

Dec 4, 2015
    Neither do I.. but we where at my mother in law house, and they have a large collection of dull kitchen knives, my wife was helping in the kitchen and ask for my folder to slice some meat and veggie.. The only folder that I use in my kitchen is an Opinel No.10..

15. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Most people aren't used to sharp blades, unfortunately, so caution is always advisable. I keep our kitchen knives usably sharp, but don't put the ultra-sharp edge on them as I do on my EDCs. I don't loan those to anyone.

16. Unk

Unk Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Bleeding ALWAYS stops...well, when your heart does.

Direct pressure and Band Aids are my friends.

Managed to just TOUCH a finger the other day with a new ZT. I doubt a scalpel could have cut better.

Stuff happens - live and learn..hopefully.

Best.

17. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    Generally the idea for a razor sharp knife
    Is for it to cut at the slightest touch of applied downward pressure.
    A dull knife simply requires more strength.
    I could be wrong,
    But it appears that your better half
    Could have somehow miscalculated
    the safe distance, downward angle and pressure when using
    Your Blade with obvious different physical dimensions.
    Perhaps it's a case of Familiarity (muscle memory) breeds contempt.
    Thus the possibility that she might had unwittingly fallen victim to the mechanics of routine.
    I hope with time, she will recover and rebound from the ghastly episode.
    And yes,
    A sharp knife can be dangerous in some circumstances.

18. EDCanAdamas

EDCanAdamas

Sep 8, 2013
    When you are polishing the blade too closely and it cuts through the polishing cloth effortlessly. I had four cuts to my index finger before I knew what happened. Totally my fault.

19. needler420

needler420 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 29, 2011
    The sharpness is the lesser of the problem. I see it more as human error. I work with saws and have very high respect for their danger. I don't even like working with saws because human error yet have my own makita I use everyday.

I tried taking apart a shaving razor last week to get a splinter out my finger and in one motion 3 cuts on fingers. One bad might have needed stitches almost as bad as when I purposely cut myself with a razor in the past.