1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

When did "tactical" become a selling point?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jesse B., Oct 9, 2010.

1. SuperBro

SuperBro

Oct 20, 2010
    Who cares? If I like the way a knife looks, the materials that goes into it and the cutting capability of it, I'll buy it. Even if it is named 'Tactical knife of tactical tacticians'. Worrying about a name is silly. I won't base my knife making decision on whether or not some "mall ninja" who I never met nor will I ever meet thinks it is cool. I buy what makes me happy, plain and simple and damn what everyone else thinks :)

2. tipoc

tipoc

Dec 19, 2009
    +1 to the above.

tipoc

3. proguide

proguide

Mar 26, 2004
    Emerson....90's

4. TheCarbideRat

TheCarbideRat Banned BANNED

Sep 10, 2008
    The word tactical has become passe, time to move on to 'tech'.
    I think alot of the static about tactical comes from it being used by manufacturers
    to guide the uninitiated thereby the word has become something akin to accursed
    for ppl more knowledgeable on knives.

5. RJ Martin

RJ Martin

Oct 26, 1998
    This has been a fun read. There are knives that work, and knives that don't. Knives that are obviously "purpose driven" and knives that look like they have a purpose until you pick them up and discover that they might make a nice paperweight. Maybe.

Mall ninja and marketing hype aside, what other name would you give a knife that is designed for use and made to be used?

6. 3Guardsmen

3Guardsmen

Mar 16, 2005
    A "user" knife.;):p:D

Love your work and designs, RJ!:thumbup:

7. GallantEdge

GallantEdge

Sep 19, 2010
    Knives used to be named for their intended use. There were stockmans, electricians, bird, marlinspike, etc. knives. Now everything is tactical and tactical has ceased to mean anything. Put the marketing guys back to work. Camp, urban, street, office, warehouse, mall etc. :confused: How much do the marketing guys get paid to keep pumping out the tactical label for everything?

8. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Tech?
    Tech as in High Tech was in before Tactical...

How about "Butch"?
    :D

9. TheCarbideRat

Sep 10, 2008
    Tech is the word [or at least a start]. You can call a knife tech to connote knives set apart from mundane aspects ie kitchen, chef, gas station cheapies, etc. and are at least minimally well constructed, purpose-oriented [or even multi-purpose] and are clearly defined as to what materials/processes are used. Tech.

10. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Even if a word has no meaning but when used, is generally understood by the majority of people for whom that word has relevance then why the issue?

11. TheCarbideRat

Sep 10, 2008
    Tactical is worn out bud it's stagnant, time to evolve.

12. zachtateknives

zachtateknives

May 4, 2010
    Beggin Strips aren't that bad. Pupperoni is much better though. Don't ask.

13. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    If you say so bud. ;)

I just hope the genre will continue on the direction it's going. :D

14. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    "Tactical Assault Camera" :D

[​IMG]

15. banana-clip

banana-clip

Jun 7, 2007

How about "Tacticool"? :D

16. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    sodbuster, parer, fillet, etc.

17. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    So what would you call an SMF? Just an SMF?

Or a big, badass knife for doing stuff?

18. GallantEdge

GallantEdge

Sep 19, 2010

HUK Heavy Use Knife
    HUF Hard Use Folder
    HRF High Reliability Folder
    VRF Very Reliable Folder

I don't know. I'm not a marketing geek. If the marketing guy came in my office and said tactical though, I'd send him home for few days without pay to think about it some more.

19. hardheart

hardheart

Sep 19, 2001
    SMF is not a duty or a class of knife, it is a specific model. You can bust sod, filet fish, pare fruits & vegetables, etc. You can do these with knives of a specific model/name, but the design or use also have a name. "Tacticals" do not have a pattern or particular use defined. That was kind of my point, nearly every knife is designed and made to be used, so that is not the criteria for naming one tactical.

20. singularity35

singularity35

Mar 1, 2010
    Understood, but my point also is that at this point in time, with no clear definition, the majority do understand the term to mean something in terms of knife characteristics(or think they do) and whether cooked up by marketing geeks, for the moment it works.

Maybe is we come up with a standard of characteristics for this genre, then it will be time to make up a new moniker. Also, as often happens, popular labels come about as accidents or strokes of fortune.

So we will just have to wait and see what the future brings. Maybe LT can outdo himself.