When is a knife oversharpened (aka please help me stop worrying)

If you have a decent sharpening system that enables you to position the knife consistently you will not need to re profile each time you sharpen. For example, with my Wicked Edge I can position the knife in the sharpener in the same spot every time. Therefore, I don't need to re-profile the knife every time I sharpen it. I can simply "touch-up" the edge.

Maybe you just need a better sharpener )

Not the best pics, but something to compare to. Btw, this 25 has never been used or sharpened

HGzLpDK.jpg

7qvXpoG.jpg

DvADnsy.jpg

Mine has measurements pretty close to Ajack's, though it is hard to be exact without knowing the distance down the spine where the measurements were taken. Just looking at your pictures I don't see much of any difference in blade profile between mine and yours. I'd say you have a lot of life left in that blade. For me the issue would be edge thickness - if you sharpen too far up the edge will start getting thicker. Mine is about 0.021" for most of the straight, then it thickens toward the tip. I have done one sharpening that might be called a reprofile (though not extensive, just getting my edge angle on it) and a few touchups after that.

I don’t mean to be unkind, but there are pills for this sort of unnecessary worry. If it doesn’t cut the way you want, get a new blade. It’s a tool meant for cutting, and the measurements mean nothing except insofar as they describe a condition that reduces the cutting ability. If you can’t tell by cutting, then it doesn’t matter.

Imagine asking if a screwdriver has been used too many times to need a new bit. If it’s been stripped enough to slip, get a new one. If not, just use it.

I don’t mean to be unkind, but there are pills for this sort of unnecessary worry. If it doesn’t cut the way you want, get a new blade. It’s a tool meant for cutting, and the measurements mean nothing except insofar as they describe a condition that reduces the cutting ability. If you can’t tell by cutting, then it doesn’t matter.

Imagine asking if a screwdriver has been used too many times to need a new bit. If it’s been stripped enough to slip, get a new one. If not, just use it.

Not unkind at all. Funny you should bring that up, actually. I started anxiety medication today (seriously).

Also, if all i was worried about was cutting I probably wouldn't buy CRKs. I buy them and love them because I'm an enthusiast. Do I carry and use them? Absolutely. But I also love and cherish them, and just wanted some insight into whether or not I had significantly reduced the life of a knife by doing a poor job reprofiling.

Also, if all i was worried about was cutting I probably wouldn't buy CRKs.

Haha, touché. The existence of opinels does really make the remaining 99.99% of the industry about more than just cutting stuff.

My (poor) answer to your question: I’ve spent far more than $150 to address something I’m worried about, whether or not the worry was warranted. Sometimes it helped, sometimes I just found something else to worry about. I’m no help here. :)

Haha, touché. The existence of opinels does really make the remaining 99.99% of the industry about more than just cutting stuff.

My (poor) answer to your question: I’ve spent far more than $150 to address something I’m worried about, whether or not the worry was warranted. Sometimes it helped, sometimes I just found something else to worry about. I’m no help here. :)

Hey man your points were well taken. Trust me, I know it’s a ridiculous thing to worry about. I’m still new to CRK and only have three. They still feel almost fragile to me, and with the cost factored in I just like to make sure I haven’t done anything stupid.

It’s true, though. I’ll always find something to worry about. I’m confident that, at some point, they’ll just be knives (and wonderful ones at that) and I can just use and enjoy them worry free!

VermontEdge VermontEdge , do you sharpen your knives using a dry stone or with a little water or oil on it ?

I typically just use dry brown sharpmaker Stones. I’ll use diamonds if I’m just trying to reprofile/set the bevel to the sharpmaker.

Should I be using water? I’ve heard of people using simple green as well.

I typically just use dry brown sharpmaker Stones. I’ll use diamonds if I’m just trying to reprofile/set the bevel to the sharpmaker.

Should I be using water? I’ve heard of people using simple green as well.

I know what part of your problem is and it's not as bad as you think. Using a stone dry creates metal dust, which in turn gives the appearance that there is a lot of metal being taken off and you start to freak out a bit. At least I did ;) when I started running my diamonds dry. But, the dust is so fine, you can rub it into your fingers. Using water/honing oil captures the metal dust and you can tell how little metal is actually being taken off with each sharpening.
You should try it, it'll make you feel better :D

I would say a blade is has lost too much metal when it is a skinny little piece of steel barely more than a spine with an edge. And I think that anyone who is lucky enough to worry about how many fractions of a millimeter might be missing from the edge of their $400 pocket knife when compared to a brand new one has a lot to be grateful for. Keep things in perspective, brother!

Try to focus on other things that are more important, like whether or not every piece of clothing in all your closets is hung strictly in the correct order by color - don't forget there are many shades of the same color, and each need to go in perfect order from lightest to darkest. And that all your folding clothes, towels, linens, etc. are all folded the exact same way, and of course, in order by color as well.

Your not stressing alone. Iincluding myself everyone here at sometime has stressed over their knives. There has been some good advice given about over sharpening,
Just keepin mind the more it gets used the closer you get to it and at some point you gain confidence that it works for you.

Last edited:
You can begin to worry about replacing a knife when it begins to look like this. Even then, with care, it still retains many years of useful life.

sharpened knife sm.jpg

n2s

buy a Wicked Edge and set it to about 15 degrees and stop wasting time, energy and money on crock sticks aka spyderco sharpmaker

BTW I used the sharpmaker for many years... never again

I don’t have another 25 but I compare it to pictures quite often.
Pictures can be very deceiving and unreliable. I've seen pics of brand new knives that look like they've sharpened a bit. Heck, every polished 21 blade seems to have more belly than stonewashed to my eye which I've chalked up to how my eyesare gauging the optics given off by the curvature. Point is if you are eyeballing your knife and comparing to photos on the internet you are getting far from an accurate comparison.

Back