1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is a knife oversharpened (aka please help me stop worrying)

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by VermontEdge, Mar 17, 2018.

1. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    PM sent

2. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 17, 2014
    Hey brother, did you do all your sharpening of the 25 on the Spyderco Sharpmaker? Cuz if so, I really don't think you have to worry about taking out too much steel. It's pretty hard to remove tons of material on the Sharpmaker, though admittedly I don't use the diamond rods on mine. Also, from what I can see in your pics, your bevel is not overly wide, which is a tell-tale sign of taking a lot of steel out of a blade. So I think you may be just fine.

I totally feel you on this one. I reprofile almost everything on my Wicked Edge and after I'm done I'm just staring at the belly on whatever knife compulsively wondering if I took too much out somehow. It's a very real sickness.

3. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    The 25 photo looks pretty similar to my 25. I carry mine much, cut little. Usually tune up with a stropping on the bottom of a coffee cup. Perhaps not as sharp as on a device intended for that purpose but certainly sharp enough for my uses. Results in a nice "toothy" edge, and not sharp enough to be fragile.

Good luck.

4. lovescamaros

lovescamaros Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 2014
    those blades will last you a lifetime so quit worrying and use the damn thing!

Mike Large and tuica like this.
  5. expidia1

expidia1 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2018
    You might want to watch the Chris Reeve factory tour. its two parts and I think Chris was talking in the 2nd part about how he constructs each blade (but could be the first too) . . .

He talks of his designing the blade so that its curved, but he specifcally adds extra metal just behind the edge along the bevel so the blade can last 20 years from sharpening. In his factory tour he actually addresses exactly what you are concerned about.

Check it out. Its one of the reasons I will only collect CRK’s now because of his attention to detail is extraordinary IMO.

I too use a wicked edge as I think it takes off the least amount of metal when re-profiling an initial edge.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. Mike Large

Mike Large Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Life's too short to worry so much about the sharpness of your blade 24 hours a day. Yes, I have been told this many times as well ha. I love replacing lanyards, sharpening, cleaning ext. My advice is get it good and sharp and do your best to stick with an ultra fine stone to touch up before heading out. I do 2 slow feather strokes per side with my ultra fine rods on whichever sebenza's leaving with me that day. Same with whichever hip knife is coming with me. Then when home from work I touch up damn near every knife i own. This process has been repeated for about ten years or so haha. Worry none, sharpen away. Just stay away from diamond and brown stones unless absolutely necessary

OLd_gUY likes this.
  7. VermontEdge

VermontEdge Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Just wanted to thank everyone here for their thoughts, opinions and tips! I’ve since trades the 25 (with full disclosure) and have come back to just stropping my knives back to sharpness with loaded leather or sandpaper on a ksf strop kit. Have also arrived at a “patience over expediency” kind of policy. I can watch tv and strop away until it’s shaving sharp again rather than haul out the btown sharpmaker Stones in an attempt to move faster.

All part of the knife enthusiast experience! Always nice to feel that my knowledge and understanding is improving as time goes on!

8. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Not to make things more complicated, but you may want to consider using a hard strop, like a piece of wood loaded with compound. The soft strops will make the edge convex when it's stropped too much.