When is the Mini 940 coming out ?

I couldn't wait. It's a work in progress as of right now. I need to fix the tip and I want to lessen the angle at the front so it's closer to how it was originally. But....it's now a 3 inch 940. Kabar Dozier for blade length comparison. (Dozier is 3 inch) Given the turd tools I have to work with currently, I'm pretty happy with it. Need to go get some new Dremel bits and actual sandpaper. The grip tape on an old skateboard did a bunch of the work. lol
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

A dremel and a skateboard....:cool:
Now, you need to cut the handle in half and remove a section, so it fits the blade. Dremel makes cutoff wheels.

I love the handle on this thing, both the feel and the length. Never had a knife with aluminum scales. The blade was just a hair too long for me. I've never wished I had a belt sander so much in all my life. This steel is tough! I'll post another pic when I get it finished off.

This is the brand new 940 that everybody talked you into on the other thread? Man, you work fast! I like the idea of a Mini 940, and can't wait to see how it looks when finished.

Yessir it is. After a run to Home Depot for Dremel bits and sandpaper I got my point back more or less and dropped that angle so it's closer to original. Still not exact but I'm going to leave it like this for now. Also polished the washers on 1500 grit sandpaper which has helped the action a ton. I can have it free dropping now without the play I had previously. Thanks everyone for the help and advice. This knife is super fun to tinker with. Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on FlickrQUOTE="Babyboomer, post: 18697790, member: 487576"]This is the brand new 940 that everybody talked you into on the other thread? Man, you work fast! I like the idea of a Mini 940, and can't wait to see how it looks when finished.[/QUOTE]

Just wondering if any of you that want a mini 940 have ever handled a 698 foray? Imo it’s what people here are saying they want, a stout but short blade. I like it much more than the mini grip and it seems overlooked.

The 940 is why I have the Foray. When I began drooling over it, I had not yet held one. When I went to the LKS with the intention of procuring one, I was dismayed to find the partial liners and at how light weight it is. I walked out with the 698 and didn't feel like I accepted a second best. My opinion only.

The 698 is a beautiful knife and would be a nice addition to most collections as an edc. A good suggestion but that said it is still heavier then the 940 series and is still over the 3 inch blade length that many have as a sweet spot for legal carry.

,,,Mike in Canada

It is a bit heavier, and that appeals to me, I like that it's fully lined, the action is sooo (Crown Royal Special Reserve) smooth and the handle length is perfect - for me. In the end, the legality of the length is the Foray's only drawback as I see it, and that only if your are in a regulated area and are concerned about it. Unfortunately, almost all the BM products I have been interested in and have a blade length of 2.91" or less, also have a handle not suitably long enough for my comfort zone. I have a blue mini grip with a sheepsfoot profile, love the sheepsfoot for utility, can even operate the knife, but not nearly as easily as the Foray. For that reason, and the "partial liner", the mini grip in back in its box waiting for Idon'tknowwhat.

Good thing there are so many choices since everyone has at least ONE desire different than the person next to them! ;)

STILL, would like to see this reduced "overall" in proportion to about 3 1/2" closed and in CF only, would do for comfort-pocket carry in the office. Benchmade do you hear us??

it should be called the 945. with 2.95 inch blade with 3.9 inch handle, regular size axis lock and thumb stud size with same thickness of blade as 940. Will it be out next year finally ? Can't wait and I've been waiting years like so many others. The Valet might have fit the bill if they didn't botch the thumb stud and axis lock size. Too small and makes it fumbley. never should have been green lighted with those small studs and lock. it ruined a beautiful knife design. it was clearly Osborne inspired but it was badly butchered. Ergonomic nightmare unless your a small child trying too open and close it. Do better this time with the Mini 940 please. Thanks
I was hoping Benchmade would announce this at Shot Show

I also have given it a try right about 3" blade length now.

DSCN1637.JPG

Benchmade should make a 940 Junior with a 2.99” blade length since it’s legal in more places.

I'd keep the blade and handle thicknesses and widths the same and just shrink the lengths.

Okay so I’ve just created an account to say that the only knife I want is the benchmade 940 mini aka 945, it will be the ultimate perfection for both EDC and country with length restriction like mine. Please make it happen.

Back