Where are you camping this year?

Bump for 2018!
Let’s see some pics!

I don’t have much to show so far this year...

Spent a night up at NixKustoms for the 4th of July with the family.

Didn’t get many pics, but here’s one. If you’re squeemish please scroll down quickly and pass up this pic:

wVwvsK4.jpg

just got back from Grundy Lake, Ontario. the wife has some pics on her phone. i was too busy camping...

if anyone's in the area, i've been really impressed with the ontario parks organisation in the last few years. sometimes the crappers are clean (ish), but there's all kinds of seminars for the kids. my 7 year old decided she wanted to attend the learn to fish seminar this morning. wouldn't bait the hook, but she caught her first and second sunfish! wooooo! camping!!!!!

we've got two more trips booked this summer. got to talk them into trying fall / winter camping too.

(tried adding photos. didn't work. tried again. and then one more time. then said to hell with it. take my word for it. there were pics, and it happened.)

Last edited:
just got back from Grundy Lake, Ontario. the wife has some pics on her phone. i was too busy camping...

if anyone's in the area, i've been really impressed with the ontario parks organisation in the last few years. sometimes the crappers are clean (ish), but there's all kinds of seminars for the kids. my 7 year old decided she wanted to attend the learn to fish seminar this morning. wouldn't bait the hook, but she caught her first and second sunfish! wooooo! camping!!!!!

we've got two more trips booked this summer. got to talk them into trying fall / winter camping too.

Nice. I’ve noticed Parks Canada stepping back up their game the last few seasons. Love fall camping - no crowds, campground almost to yourself, and I personally love being chilly at night rather than sticky hot. Excuse for a raging fire and extra blankets. Never been able to convince anyone to go camping during winter, but it’s always been on the back of my mind.

Nice. I’ve noticed Parks Canada stepping back up their game the last few seasons. Love fall camping - no crowds, campground almost to yourself, and I personally love being chilly at night rather than sticky hot. Excuse for a raging fire and extra blankets. Never been able to convince anyone to go camping during winter, but it’s always been on the back of my mind.

this was the first year in a while we didn't get rained on. not even once. coincidentally, there were fire restrictions. no day time burning. nothing until after 7:00pm. put a damper on grilling the steaks, but they fried up fine on the old stove. the deer flies though... sons of b**********es!

got back from mew lake in algonquin yesterday. our site didn't have much privacy but it was right on the lake. a few bunches of baby ducks crashed our party, as well as maybe a vole(?), loons, geese, red squirrels, chipmunks. you couldn't spit without hitting a blue jay. waded in the lake and watched the fish, and one leech. on a hike we saw a largish garter snake and a few more loons. there was a bear in the area, but we didn't see it. we kept our trash squared away.

i don't know that i'd recommend mew lake specifically. it was rather small for the amount of people camped around it, and hwy 60 was at the end of the lake. but, there's so much to do along that stretch you almost don't have time to worry about the downsides. if you ask me, you can't really go wrong in that area. if your neighbours suck (like ours did at one point) go for a hike. or rent a canoe if you don't already have one. outfitters are all over the place. and all the wardens i saw were pretty young ladies, with big smiles. if you're into that kind of thing...

we were in a full on fire ban. so no need for fire prep. i couldn't really justify bringing all the knives. just the bk3, bk5, bk11, bk13, bk15, kabar 1217, spyderco police. food prepped with the 5,11,15. the rest were for just in case / utility.

if you're wondering, i left the axe, hatchets, cold steel shovel, bk9, ontario sp5 and a few shorty kabars and other folders at home. that's how i pack light i guess.

off to mikisew provincial in about a week and a half. woo!

That shot of your son fishing made my day..... Thanks..... e

had to go back through the thread looking for pictures of fisher-kids, but i think you're talking about my daughter. we had a great time during the learn to fish program. i fished as a kid, but i'm no angler. this was all her idea, no influence at all from her pops. if it's something she wants to do again though, i'll have to get a licence.

glad to hear we made your day! reading that gave me a warm fuzzy for sure. we're both big fans of your work. she's claimed my bk13 as her own, but the 9 might be mine for a while longer.

Hey Mike.... Miss ya.... Glad you had a good time.... Woods time is good time.... All Best... E

Back