1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I buy diamond stones

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Bo-dacious, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Bo-dacious

Bo-dacious

Aug 13, 2016
    Hi guys, I'm looking for diamond stones for sharpening knives and chisels etc. I need around a 4k and an 8k stone. Are there any good sites (preferably in Canada) that sell these? I would prefer less expensive ones over the top quality ones, but I don't want junk. I'm looking for good diamond stones for decent prices. I can't find them on Amazon or ebay. I also need a diamond leveling stone for keeping my sharpening stones level. Any ideas guys?

Thanks a lot,

Bo

2. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Please take specific recommendations to PM if the vendor is not a site supporter...this way we avoid any conflicts.

3. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014
    Hi,
    So you're looking for a 3 micron jis400 and a 1.20 micron = JIS : J8000 diamond plates?
    For cheap? They don't exist :)
    Hard to compete with diamond pastes and natural stones...

The $3 dollar diamond plates only go to 3000 but they're a good size ~3"x~7"
    do have green "resin diamond sharpening stone " in #1000 #3000 #6000 #12000,
    but only pocket stones from $13 and up and UP ,
    on aliexpress better prices on 8inch stones...

See 1453781-Naniwa-Diamond-Waterstones-Review

DMT makes an EEF Extra Extra Fine that is 3 micron , venev goes to 1 micron, so does naniwa, but not cheap

4. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    For that high of a finish diamond pastes are the way to go.

There are many helpful threads about them in here.

5. Bo-dacious

Bo-dacious

Aug 13, 2016
    Okay, thanks for the help guys,

Bo

6. Bo-dacious

Bo-dacious

Aug 13, 2016
    What about a diamond levelling stone for my whetstones? Anywhere I can buy one?

Thanks,

Bo

7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Google diamond Lapping film.

And iirc atoma makes a 140grit stone that's good for leveling stones.

8. bgentry

bgentry

Aug 3, 2009
    Using a diamond plate for leveling Japanese style water stones is normal and a lot of people do it. The inexpensive CKTG 140 grit diamond stone is supposed to be a good value for leveling. The DMT XXC is a step up in terms of overall plate quality and the Atoma is supposed to be better yet. I'd rather use those awesome plates for really coarse grinding of steel, but people that are really "into" flattening their stones like both of those plates.

On the other hand, if you are trying to flatten man made stones like hard aluminum oxide or silicon carbide, I think diamond plates are the wrong tool for the job. The man made stones are so hard that they will rip the diamonds out of the plates and it will take a very, very long time to make any progress. What I hear around here is that you want to use loose grit like sand or even a specific grit level of silicon carbide abrasive powder (lapidary abrasive) on a known flat plate. Then rub your stone against the abrasive on the plate. I've never done this myself, but I see it recommended here frequently.

Other hard stones like Arkansas stones fall into this same category: Don't use diamonds.

Brian.

Mo2 likes this.
  9. wade7575

wade7575 Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Don't use diamond film's they cost to much for how long they last,just go to ebay and type in high concentration diamond paste it has 10 carat's of diamonds in it vs the regular stuff only having 4 carat's and you get 40 grams of the stuff witch will last you a very long time.

Beansandcarrots and Mo2 like this.
  10. PeterS84

PeterS84 Sharpening addict, collector of super steels Platinum Member

May 9, 2018
    I would give some serious thought to the Gritomatic Venev diamond stones... they don't cut as fast as the DMTs but are available in a much wider range of abrasive sizes. I've been very happy with their 800, 1200, and 2000 grit stones. Just bear in mind that their grit rating is different than most Japanese water stones. The 2000 grit Venev, for example, is close to 1 micron which is roughly equivalent to an 8000 grit Japanese stone. I usually do those stones followed up with strops with diamond compound (1, 0.5, and 0.25 micron) if I'm trying to achieve a very high polished edge. The Venev 2000 leaves a more aggressive finish than my 8000 King and most of my other fine Japanese waterstones in that range, even if the actual abrasive sizes are comparable.

11. Bo-dacious

Bo-dacious

Aug 13, 2016
    Mo: is that a diamond stone you're talking about?

Brian: okay, thank you. What are the edge pro apex stones, synthetic or natural?

Wade: when you say diamond film, is that like a piece of tape? Do you stick it to something and then sharpen on it?

Peter: okay so the venev 2000 would leave a duller edge than the 8000 waterstone? Is it a lot duller or a bit duller?

Thanks for the help guys,

Bo

12. PeterS84

May 9, 2018
    If anything, they're roughly equivalent. The size of the abrasive particles is almost identical, so they polish to a very similar level. However, most Japanese waterstones are comprised of Aluminum Oxide abrasive particles whereas the Venev stones are diamond. The diamond particles of the same approximate size in microns will tend to cut more effectively into steels, so despite being the same abrasive size the edge produced by the Venev will be slightly more aggressive and likely will require fewer passes across the stone to achieve due to the higher cutting speed (especially in carbide-rich steel alloys).

In short: if using a straight razor, I'd hone them with waterstones. For knives, I feel like the Venev would be a more appropriate tool for the job and won't prevent you from sharpening higher carbide alloys, whereas the AlOx abrasives in the Japanese stones won't cut vanadium carbides well.

13. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    No the diamond Lapping Films are like tape. But wade does have a point with them.

Venev stones are awesome but avoid the 2000 grit. Its like going backwards in the grit progression. That's why I didn't mention the venev since you were looking for higher grit options. That's why I mentioned the films. But strops may be more idea for that.

14. wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    You stick the diamond film's to a blank made out of glass,I will honest and up front and tell you right now I have never used them and never will the cost way to much and if you push to hard the diamonds just get peeled right off and your film is screwed I have heard to many people complain about the cost of them and also how easily they can be damaged.

You better off going with a Kangaroo leather strop and a MDF witch you can make yourself for very little money and I'm also hoping to try some strop's I made from Ash tonight as well if no body comes around my house tonight to bother me.

I used to use diamond emulsions and I may in the future when I take the time to order up some diamond powder off of ebay and doctor the stuff up that I already have because it does not contain that much from what I can tell and it does not cut steel's like M4 and S110v worth a crap.

15. bgentry

bgentry

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't own any Edge Pro stones or an Edge Pro sharpener. From what I've read, the EP stock stones (that come with the kits) are a man made waterstone. So, they are very much like other Japanese water stones and are "soft". So I would think you could level them with a diamond plate.

On the other hand, Edge Pro sells a leveling kit. It is a glass plate (perfectly flat) and some abrasive powder (like I referenced above). You sprinkle the powder on the glass plate (a circle with nice edging around it) and then rub your stone on the mixture until it's flat. It's supposed to work quite well. Though, as I indicated, I don't own any Edge Pro products, so I don't have first hand knowledge.

Good luck.

Brian.

Mo2 likes this.
  16. PeterS84

May 9, 2018
    As far as I know, all of the stock Edge Pro stones (except the 120 grit) are Al Ox... I believe the 120 is a silicon carbide stone, but I'm not 100% positive about that. I do own the system, but use different stones now. I do know for certain that they are able to be leveled by using either the glass plate and SiC powder, as Brian mentioned, or you can use a rough grit diamond plate. Personally, I prefer to just use my 140 grit diamond stone for lapping. I was able to get one for that specific purpose for a pretty reasonable price from a vendor who is not a sponsor here.

17. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    I have the Edge Pro leveling kit with the 60 grit SiC powder. It's worked just fine in my experience.

They don't ship it internationally according to their site, so one would have to purchase through a vendor or retailer either in Canada or willing to ship to CA in the OP's case.

I believe the Edge Pro stones are from Boride. At least that's what I remember reading on the Gritomatic site.

Diemaker and Mo2 like this.
  18. wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    If you are happy with the 1200 grit stone Venev has out now wait until they finally release the new 1200 grit stone with new bonding material I got to try 2 different stones and they both great and gave a good polish as it was for that grit of a stone and put a really nice edge on S110v.

19. PeterS84

May 9, 2018
    Looking forward to trying those out! :) I don't normally polish my S110v to that level but I'd be willing to give a it a try just for the heck of it.

20. Bo-dacious

Bo-dacious

Aug 13, 2016
    Brian: yeah, the levelling plate doesn't ship to Canada. So I guess my best option would be one of those regular levelling stones not diamond for the edge pro stones. Or maybe a 200 grit diamond stone I have? Does anyone know where I can buy an edge pro levelling plate in Canada?

Thanks for the help and input, guys,

Bo