Where does your Ratweiler live?

Is it house broken, or kenneld up out by the wood shed? Where’s its place in your family?

I know I need one, just not sure which direction to go. What do you like your weiler for?
Edit: I’m aware this is in the wrong forum. My mistake.
Also: if it pleases you. Family photos welcomed.

Adam

Last edited:
My skinny Rat like chewing on rabbits.2018-07-24 10.11.26.jpg
It lives in a homemade sheath.
2018-03-14 15.41.23.jpg

My other one just kinda sits around mean-mugging my other knives.
2018-08-31 12.43.36.jpg

In all seriousness though, my 1/4" thick Ratweiler actually has a thinner, slicier grind but I like the slightly thinner handle and lighter weight of the 3/16" version.

My skinny Rat like chewing on rabbits.

In all seriousness though, my 1/4" thick Ratweiler actually has a thinner, slicier grind but I like the slightly thinner handle and lighter weight of the 3/16" version.

Thank you! That’s the exact kind of info I’m looking for! There’s no shortage of Heavy Steel around here. The 3/16’s about able to filet fish by busse/kin standards.

Btw, that 3rd rat pic... it’s beautiful!

Thank you for your post.

Mine in amongst all my user blades. Awesome design...

tumblr_ov9t197SNG1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlna3PZh1siuc9oo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlna3PZh1siuc9oo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlna3PZh1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlqpOqvY1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlqpOqvY1siuc9oo2_1280.jpg

Mine in amongst all my user blades. Awesome design...

tumblr_ov9t197SNG1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlna3PZh1siuc9oo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlna3PZh1siuc9oo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlna3PZh1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlqpOqvY1siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pihlqpOqvY1siuc9oo2_1280.jpg
Beautiful, the infamous #69! Love the blade on that one.

What type of tasks do you like them for?

Which grind do you find you like the best? I love the idea of that thin LE with the meaty saber.

Last edited:
Love it!!! What blade thickness do you have?

Thin cut according to Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo , whom I procured this one from stripped and ready for use. I'm curious about the differences between the thin and thick as I have a strong tendency to like thinner edges for most things. This is certainly a better slicer than my 911 when I need to clear out grass and such for a lookout or small area clearing. The ratweiler just does so many dang things "well-enough" in the woods that I consider it a back-up to everything and 1st choice if I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

It's a lot of fun cleaning up tops of fallen trees where a little climbing is needed.

Thin cut according to Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo , whom I procured this one from stripped and ready for use. I'm curious about the differences between the thin and thick as I have a strong tendency to like thinner edges for most things. This is certainly a better slicer than my 911 when I need to clear out grass and such for a lookout or small area clearing. The ratweiler just does so many dang things "well-enough" in the woods that I consider it a back-up to everything and 1st choice if I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

It's a lot of fun cleaning up tops of fallen trees where a little climbing is needed.
I know that in Bussedom there can be lots of variations from one run of blades to the next but comparing both of my O2W Ratweilers, the one made from thinner 3/16" stock is actually thicker behind the edge that the one made of the thicker 1/4" stock.

I know that in Bussedom there can be lots of variations from one run of blades to the next but comparing both of my O2W Ratweilers, the one made from thinner 3/16" stock is actually thicker behind the edge that the one made of the thicker 1/4" stock.

I noticed that mentioned above. All I can say is that it arrived with a very usable edge, more like other knife brands instead of the standard thick busse bevel. My RMD (fresh this year from SRNW) was far thicker behind the edge than my ratweiler when I received it. It's not going to win any contests in the kitchen but it's on the thinner side, from what I've tried, for bigger outdoors knives.

Just found this picture in my imgur back from when I first had this in the woods when it was unused. The patina is good change.
Fk2a4OJl.jpg

mUCZz16l.jpg

Now
FgZhjYRl.jpg

I noticed that mentioned above. All I can say is that it arrived with a very usable edge, more like other knife brands instead of the standard thick busse bevel. My RMD (fresh this year from SRNW) was far thicker behind the edge than my ratweiler when I received it. It's not going to win any contests in the kitchen but it's on the thinner side, from what I've tried, for bigger outdoors knives.

Just found this picture in my imgur back from when I first had this in the woods when it was unused. The patina is good change.
Fk2a4OJl.jpg

mUCZz16l.jpg

Now
FgZhjYRl.jpg
Yeah. Even with its slightly thicker edge it is still better than most of the Busse/Kin I've had in its size catagory. I think that is why I like the ASH2 so much. Its edge thickness is right in there between my two Ratweilers.

There are several thicknesses of Ratweiler out now, don't know if I can keep them all straight. The Terror Monkey and LE are both thinner than the OP2W thin version. I think my LE is .150 or so, the thin version around .180, the INFI-weiler at .210 and the thick version coming in at a quarter-inch. Not sure what the originals were though. Also IIRC the OP2W thick version had a higher primary grind than the OP2W thin version. Sweet blades, all.

lIqK2L3.jpg

xI9aseO.jpg

Zp5l5pT.jpg

I noticed that mentioned above. All I can say is that it arrived with a very usable edge, more like other knife brands instead of the standard thick busse bevel.

There's a possibility that Tim had Jonny (91bravo) work that knife over. Not sure if that's the one. If it is, he knows his way around an edge :thumbsup:

ETA: I guess I should throw a couple of @s in here: Uncle Timbo Uncle Timbo @91bravo

There are several thicknesses of Ratweiler out now, don't know if I can keep them all straight. The Terror Monkey and LE are both thinner than the OP2W thin version. I think my LE is .150 or so, the thin version around .180, the INFI-weiler at .210 and the thick version coming in at a quarter-inch. Not sure what the originals were though. Also IIRC the OP2W thick version had a higher primary grind than the OP2W thin version. Sweet blades, all.

lIqK2L3.jpg

xI9aseO.jpg

Zp5l5pT.jpg
I’m really falling for the look of that low grind of the thin blade. Completely Different characters.

lIqK2L3.jpg

xI9aseO.jpg

Zp5l5pT.jpg
I never even thought to check the grind heights on mine. I'll have to give them a look tonight. One thing I did notice is that my 3/16" one looks to have a little more belly in the sweep than the thicker one. The thick one has a bit more of a stabby look to it.

Yep, BE, I bought that one off of ol Chiral. She's one of the 3/16 blades. I'm responsible for stripping her. I love satin and black canvas micarta.
Hard Knocks Hard Knocks Dave, Jonny did not thin the edge of this one. Just my Infiweiler. :)
And you are correctomundo, Jonny knows his edge geometry.
@91bravo
Here's the one Jonny worked his magic on with her Mashed Cat sheath.

Last edited:
Took a look at my two Rats and theRe definitely is an out an 1/8" difference in the grind height. Also took a pic of the tips of them side by side. Even though it is made of thinner stock, if I were to pick one as a serious beater/"survival" knife, with it's lighter carry weight and stout tip, the thin one really has a lot going for it. The thick one has a squared off spine if playing with fire starters is your thing though. The thin one has the edges rounded off.
2018-11-20 18.24.46.jpg

I never even thought to check the grind heights on mine. I'll have to give them a look tonight. One thing I did notice is that my 3/16" one looks to have a little more belly in the sweep than the thicker one. The thick one has a bit more of a stabby look to it.

I was trying to find a picture of the thick and the thin version side by side but I guess I don't have one. I'm down to the LE and the INFI.

ETA: Looks like we were posting at the same time. Thanks for the picture.

Yep, BE, I bought that one off of ol Chiral. She's one of the 3/16 blades. I'm responsible for stripping her. I love satin and black canvas micarta.
Hard Knocks Hard Knocks Dave, Jonny did not thin the edge of this one. Just my Infiweiler. :)
@91bravo

Thanks T. That's cool that it came from chiral. I didn't realize that. Cheers bud.

Last edited:
@91bravo
Here's the one Jonny worked his magic on with her Mashed Cat sheath.
:cool: What a beautiful blade! Wow.

Back