where is A.G. Russell Wharncliffe Lockback is made?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Lenny_Goofoff, Dec 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lenny_Goofoff

Lenny_Goofoff

Dec 9, 2005
  2. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The description in the link you posted states "Made in China".

- GT

Lenny_Goofoff likes this.
  3. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The bottom of the description says it's made in China. AG was always forthright about where his stuff was manufactured. He said the quality could be matched by other makers but the cost of any given design would cost way more. With the guarantee they offer I'd say try one if you're in the market. I've been buying from them for years and haven't had any issues.

4. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    You beat me to it...

5. A.G.R.'s return policy is pretty much bulletproof and weighted heavily in their customers' favor. If quality is a concern in knowing where the knife is made, there's little to worry about with their product.

6. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Interesting question. The ones you see on the Chinese site were likely pirated from the factory that made them instead of shipped to A.G. Russell. They aren't counterfeit knives but knives that leaked out of the Chinese factory that made them.

None of them would have passed through the inspection process at A.G. Russell because they never made it there in the first place. Some might be defective and some might not be.

I bought this model from an Ebay seller who had about 50 of them for sale. All the same model. Other people bought them too. Some folks got knives that would not have passed the inspection process at A.G. Russell. Mine is a quality example but some of them were not. I recommend buying directly from A.G. Russell. @Phil Gibbs who works at A.G. Russell would probably be interested in seeing this thread.

IMG_4722.JPG

7. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    ^^Just to avoid any confusion, the knife in the above post is a different, older version.
    Almost all of AG's current offerings are Chinese made. The rest are Italy or Japan, but the prices on the latter are much higher.

AG's Chinese-produced stuff make wonderful users. I can recommend them; they're a good value and some are very unique. I have several and will get more in the future.

8. Railsplitter

Oct 31, 2010
    I'll add that I bought one of the subject knives directly from A.G. Russell and it is a fine knife. Quality is top notch.

IMG_4415.JPG IMG_4416.JPG IMG_4417.JPG IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4419.JPG IMG_4420.JPG

9. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    mitch4ging and Railsplitter like this.
  10. Railsplitter

Oct 31, 2010
    I hope that the point I attempted to make has not been misconstrued.

To summarize, if someone buys an A.G. Russell knife from the Chinese website mentioned by the OP they will get a knife that was never inspected for quality at the A.G. Russell facility. It doesn't matter if it's an old model or a new model. A.G. Russell destroys the knives at their facility that fail the inspection process. That's why you can count on getting a quality knife from A.G. Russell.

If purchased from the Chinese website you might get a defective knife and A.G. Russell will not honor the warranty because the knife wasn't purchased from them and they never had the chance to inspect it for quality.

Buy directly from A.G. Russell and you will not be disappointed.

11. Phil Gibbs

Phil Gibbs Cutlery Student Platinum Member

Nov 11, 1998
    Does anyone have a link for the Chinese sites offering this knife?

Because of all the sleuthing help from the guys at AAPK on that previous incident, we were able to determine the source & have punished them accordingly.

I can’t stress enough how helpful it is getting this support from our customers & friends!!
    You guys rock.

12. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    There's been enough linking for sites that are not Blade Forum sponsored sites..

13. Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    I hope we'll continue to see new designs from the company going forward.
    You guys have been knocking it out of the park lately!

Phil Gibbs likes this.
  14. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    China...not bad build quality but I personally don't like the way mine feels in hand with the taper of the handle.

15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That has kept me from ordering one of those. Same with the GEC #38 Special.

Pogonasong likes this.
  16. Phil Gibbs

Phil Gibbs Cutlery Student Platinum Member

Nov 11, 1998
    Agreed.
    Could someone please message me the link or email it to me at [email protected].

17. Jody744

Jody744 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    China has the ability to build a very fine pocket knife, and AG had fine knives made there. I have handled quite a few at his booth at Blade show, quality is top notch. Buy from AG Russell with confidence. Remember, you always get what you pay for.

gaj999, Jack Black, Pinemoon and 3 others like this.
  18. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I agree there are some nice Chinese made traditional knives. AGRussel has some of the most expensive Chinese knives, and they often come only in 8Cr13MoV, where other importers give better steel at lower prices. AGR marketing strategy seems to be low cost production, coupled with unique designs to support the relatively high price. That'll only work for a while.

19. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Go read AG Russell’s Guarantee and Return Policy, you will have a better understanding why they are price higher than other knives produced in China (in addition to them being better quality).

Phil Gibbs and Wild Willie like this.
  20. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I have read the policy. I am an AGR mail order/internet customer for ~20 years. I also visit the store in Arkansas when in town. Their guarantee applies to all knives sold by them. Their additional markup on brands other than AGR house brands is neglible or nonexistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.