Where to Find At Home Covid Test Kits for Sale on the Internet at Reasonable Prices?

The Amazing Virginian

Gold Member
Hi. Been trying to find a couple of reasonably priced at-home Covid test kits. All the stores here are tapped out. So I tried The Interwebs, but I'm not having much luck there, either. All the big chain stores seem to be sold out. Pharmacy chains, too.

Where (if anywhere) have you had any luck since the start of 2022? And if you don't want to post it in the open, maybe send me a PM? I just figured maybe I'm not the only one in the BF Community having trouble finding them, so I'm posting it here and maybe we can share info and help each other (?).

I read the forum rules, and this seemed like the best sub for this question. If I botched it, I apologize to the mods and please put it in the proper sub-forum. TIA!

Very hard to find right now. I'm in your area right now and none of the pharmacies have them in stock. They answer the phone "we don't have test kits, how may I help you?".
They had them at the high school to pass out for students, but otherwise it looks like you will have to wait a few weeks. On line shopping will let you order but they don't promise delivery any time soon.

Very hard to find right now. I'm in your area right now and none of the pharmacies have them in stock. They answer the phone "we don't have test kits, how may I help you?".
They had them at the high school to pass out for students, but otherwise it looks like you will have to wait a few weeks. On line shopping will let you order but they don't promise delivery any time soon.
Thanks. So it's not just me. That's crazy. Two years in with this thing and can't find tests. Wonder if that's a worldwide thing, or maybe I could get something from Canada, Japan or Europe.

I've had good luck with iHealth. They are claiming a 10 day backorder at the moment, but my last order came quicker than that. I do see they just jacked up their price so I guess not as good of a deal as when I ordered :( Apparently the government will start reimbursing for these so save the receipts, who knows how much of a hassle that will be though!

Thanks. So it's not just me. That's crazy. Two years in with this thing and can't find tests. Wonder if that's a worldwide thing, or maybe I could get something from Canada, Japan or Europe.
Problem is over the summer and fall when we thought we were past this all nobody wanted the tests and all these places were throwing out expired stock and ramping down production.

We got some on the big river site and our local Walmart also stocked some, though they seemed to sell out quickly. I know we've had our disagreements, but sincerely good luck finding them and stay healthy and safe.

If it helps the search the big river ones were iHealth and Walmart had a brand called DxTerity.

We got some on the big river site and our local Walmart also stocked some, though they seemed to sell out quickly. I know we've had our disagreements, but sincerely good luck finding them and stay healthy and safe.

If it helps the search the big river ones were iHealth and Walmart had a brand called DxTerity.
Thanks. Much appreciated. Took me a minute to figure "big river" - LOL. Guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Daughter came down with the Wuhan and I'm trying to get myself and her mother tested, even though we are both without any symptoms. Can't schedule a test around here any sooner than about 8 days . . . by which time it will probably be moot. Can't buy at home tests in stores.

Walmart has the Dxterity test you mentioned with two day shipping. MUY espensivo PCR "saliva collection kit" which I assume you have to send off somewhere and wait for results- $85.00. Uh, no. They also now have a couple of more reasonable antigen tests, but they both say "3+" day shipping. I am reminded that 100 falls within the description of 3+. Again . . . no.

Amazon shows the iHealth test for sale! (Just) Under twenty bucks! Yea!!! Click to order and you find , , , "Usually ships within 14 days." Survey says, no.

And they also have the on/go test for about $25. Delivery in two to three weeks. More no.

Docscoot's explanation makes a ton of sense to me, and I think he is right. When I studied microeconomics in college, I believe that this is what they called a "market failure." Seems like an unfortunate time, place, and market for that.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Took me a minute to figure "big river" - LOL. Guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Daughter came down with the Wuhan and I'm trying to get myself and her mother tested, even though we are both without any symptoms. Can't schedule a test around here any sooner than about 8 days . . . by which time it will probably be moot. Can't buy at home tests in stores.

Walmart has the Dxterity test you mentioned with two day shipping. MUY espensivo PCR "saliva collection kit" which I assume you have to send off somewhere and wait for results- $85.00. Uh, no. They also now have a couple of more reasonable antigen tests, but they both say "3+" day shipping. I am reminded that 100 falls within the description of 3+. Again . . . no.

Amazon shows the iHealth test for sale! (Just) Under twenty bucks! Yea!!! Click to order and you find , , , "Usually ships within 14 days." Survey says, no.

And they also have the on/go test for about $25. Delivery in two to three weeks. More no.

Docscoot's explanation makes a ton of sense to me, and I think he is right. When I studied microeconomics in college, I believe that this is what they called a "market failure." Seems like an unfortunate time, place, and market for that.
It's ugly. I had a potential secondhand exposure and nearly had to drive an hour and a half for a rapid test before an oncology appointment. Thankfully, our local pharmacy got some rapid tests in the day before the appointment, then it turned out to be a moot point because the oncologist had Covid and changed it to a telehealth visit anyway. We grabbed the iHealth tests to hopefully avoid those situations in the future, but I know that a lot of people are just stuck without the ability to test right now.

Sending smoke for you and your daughter and hoping for negative results and a fast, painless recovery.

Lots for sale on the SFBA Craigslist.

Asking price for 1 kit is around $45-50; +2x retail which violates the the CA Governor's recent "no gouging" edict but . . .

So, check your local Craigslist.

I've got 1 rapid test kit that I bought awhile ago at CVS that I'm just keeping "in case." It "expires" in about 3 months, so my just use it even if I really don't need it.

Also have a mail-in PCR test kit that I got from United Health Care (my medical insurer) that I haven't used either because my county offers convenient free PCR tests by appt just 2 miles away from my house.

I've routinely taken a PCR test each month since Jun 2020 just to make sure that I haven't been infected, even though I've always been asymptomatic.

Haven't gotten a cold, flu or C19 since March 2020 when this nonsense started. Knock on wood!

Last edited:
Just wanted to share an update that may be helpful. I recently ordered a handful of tests directly from the iHealth website (they were $14 for two tests last week, sadly they just raised prices to $20 for two, but still not the worst at $10/test). They gave a rather long time window for shipping, but these just arrived at my door exactly one week after ordering. Not too bad. Not sure there's a better option out there at the moment. BTW I do not work for iHealth :)

I ordered an on/go test for $30 from Getroman a couple of days ago. Today I found out they lost my order and it will be at least a week to get the test from them. I canceled. But their site still has them for sale, FWIW.

I did manage to get an in-person test scheduled for next week. By then, if I did get it from my daughter, it would probably be gone anyway. Never had any identifiable symptoms - but I'm not always the most in touch with my own health.

This whole thing would be funny if not so sad.

PS - JUST ordered a BinaxNOW Covid self test supposedly in stock and available for pickup tomorrow morning at my local Walmart!!! Just under $20. đź•ş

Hooray! Only took me about of week of repeated searching and re-searching. But all's well that ends well, right?

Last edited:
Just wanted to share an update that may be helpful. I recently ordered a handful of tests directly from the iHealth website (they were $14 for two tests last week, sadly they just raised prices to $20 for two, but still not the worst at $10/test). They gave a rather long time window for shipping, but these just arrived at my door exactly one week after ordering. Not too bad. Not sure there's a better option out there at the moment. BTW I do not work for iHealth :)

Just took a look at their website. Price is $19.80 for a pkg of 2 tests; limit 2 pkgs but . . . they also say this:

*Due to the large volume of orders we are receiving, orders will ship in 15 days. Please allow another 5-10 days for transit time.

So, it could take a about a month to get them. Fine if you can wait or just want to stock up but not if you need one right away.

Just took a look at their website. Price is $19.80 for a pkg of 2 tests; limit 2 pkgs but . . . they also say this:

*Due to the large volume of orders we are receiving, orders will ship in 15 days. Please allow another 5-10 days for transit time.

So, it could take a about a month to get them. Fine if you can wait or just want to stock up but not if you need one right away.
I saw that warning when I ordered and they still arrived in a week, so I guess that might be a worst case scenario?

Also apparently now we can order free tests from federal government, though who knows how slow that’s gonna be!

I ordered an on/go test for $30 from Getroman a couple of days ago. Today I found out they lost my order and it will be at least a week to get the test from them. I canceled. But their site still has them for sale, FWIW.

I did manage to get an in-person test scheduled for next week. By then, if I did get it from my daughter, it would probably be gone anyway. Never had any identifiable symptoms - but I'm not always the most in touch with my own health.

This whole thing would be funny if not so sad.

PS - JUST ordered a BinaxNOW Covid self test supposedly in stock and available for pickup tomorrow morning at my local Walmart!!! Just under $20. đź•ş

Hooray! Only took me about of week of repeated searching and re-searching. But all's well that ends well, right?
Guess not. Got this email before I went to pick it up this AM.

Walmart email.jpg

Exceed quantity limits?!? I ordered ONE. That means the limit was zero.

So Walmart is selling things that they do not have in stock after falsely advertising that they do, putting a hold on your card for charges for items they definitely cannot sell you, and then telling you to go pound sand and wait ten business days (i.e., two actual weeks) for the hold to be removed.

That's what I deserve for trying to do business with those scumbags. :mad:

"WASHINGTON — U.S. residents will be able to order a free at-home Covid-19 test from the federal government starting Jan. 19 as part of an effort by the Biden administration to send out 500 million of the tests.

Each household will be able to request four tests via a new government-run website, and tests are to be delivered in seven to 12 days, a senior administration official said. The tests will be shipped through the U.S. Postal Service, which has been staffing up and keeping on holiday staff to meet the added demand, the official said."

I saw that warning when I ordered and they still arrived in a week, so I guess that might be a worst case scenario?

Also apparently now we can order free tests from federal government, though who knows how slow that’s gonna be!
Nope. Can't order until Wednesday, January 19. Unless you have friends in Congress or who work in the WH, I'm quite sure. Says it will be 7-12 days after your oder before they will be shipped. Then we get to wait for the typical glorious delivery times of the USPS . . . that's IF they don't completely lose your kits altogether.

So they will prolly arrive in late February or early March when you won't even want them anymore. A day late and a dollar short, per usual.

Anyway, FYI this this is the address of the website which is a 100% guaranteed mortal lock to crash in flames on January 19:

Got my order in. Received USPS tracking number.
Me, too. An order number - NOT a tracking number. It will be nice to have them on hand next time a close contact comes back positive. Assuming I ever actually receive them.

Meanwhile, I never found any kits locally, but I did finally have an in-person test. A week late and a dollar short, as the daughter finally tested "negative" meaning her infection is gone. Don't know if I ever had it or not, as my test came back negative, too.

Wish I could roll the calendar back to 2019. It was such a simpler time . . .

Last edited:
Got my order in. Received USPS tracking number.

Really?

I received a confirmation of the order but no tracking # yet. My undertanding is that deliveries will not begin for at least a wk or 2 and that a tracking # will follow at that time.

Back