Where's the best place to buy tomahawks online?

shaw11b

Gold Member
If you have no idea what you want I would do a google image search to look at pics and then go from there. What is your budget will also make a huge difference

I got hooked with hawks from MOH warfighter...

Anyways I prefer the drop forged ones or at least something that doesn't have plastic shafts.

I have decided to get a BM 172 but I also want a cheapie at around $50.

Use any search engine like Bing or Google and get images - you get to see dozens a page that way without navigating some websites programming that clutters up your view.

That's how I found the Condor TRT - the handle shaft is rolled out of the plate the rest of the hawk is made from. They paracord wrap over that. I've got one on order and already have mods for it.

In regards online purchasing, I've found a pretty good vendor locally who always sells at the internet price plus shipping. So I patronize them, and there's no difference in ship times. If it's something they have a number of, I also get to pick out from the available stock, which never happens mail order. And, if it's flawed, a few bucks off, too.

There's an advantage in dealing face to face over a long period of time with a good storekeeper. They can't perform miracles, but what comes around, goes around, and they remember you stuck with them.

I got hooked with hawks from MOH warfighter...

Anyways I prefer the drop forged ones or at least something that doesn't have plastic shafts.

I have decided to get a BM 172 but I also want a cheapie at around $50.

What kind of "cheapie", full tang, wood handle, for throwing, breaching, or what? I got a SOG Fasthawk a couple of years ago, for $20 around Christmas. It's not a great hawk, but for the price I've got more than my money's worth. I've thrown it as hard as I can against a dead tree, many many times. I've been waiting for the handle to break, it hasn't, no damage at all!

Wolf Creek Forge was offering some $50 hawks at one time, no sheath. They looked like a great deal.

shaw11b

Gold Member
If you want chopping do not get a benchmade 172, it is the heaviest of the hawks as well as the thckest blade. It does not chop well. The SOGs are good entry hawk, but if put to hard use they will eventually break. But at their price it is easy to get another. My suggestion would be a Cold Steel hawk. If you decide you want a full tang hawk, both schrade and Colt make a cheap hawk

I have a SOG Tactical I've had four about two or so years now. Besides the head losing it's bluing (or whatever SOG uses), and the sheath it came with being crap, and some slight brownish discoloration on the handle which probably has something to do that if I missed my target the damned thing was going into a swamp. Over all it chops, splits and throws quite well for the price. Don't let the stainless steel put you off too, surprisingly it holds a decent edge for quite some time. My second 'hawk was a cold steel trail hawk. It's the best of the two I have to be honest, but if I was you I'd go for a tad heavier hawk like the pipe hawk (the pipe is just for looks, it's actually a solid chunk of steel, so no smoking). The larger cutting face on that would make it more useful, or at least easier to use.

I just want the BM 172 because I love BM. I've actually decided to up the budget. What do you guys think of the CRKT Kangee?

I just want the BM 172 because I love BM. I've actually decided to up the budget. What do you guys think of the CRKT Kangee?

The handle is a bit fat, and it's not that great at chopping. Most full tang hawks just aren't made for "camp chores".

Old post, but for a wood chopping tomahawk you should really look into the cold steel wood handled line. Pick one that appeals to you. You can also get around 3 for $100, so I suggest the Rifleman, Pipe and Trail Hawks. That will give you a decent range of sizes, and you can develop some preference.

Any store that sells knives will usually carry some tomahawks. Ceck the BF Dealers, several of them carry them. Also, these questions are better suited for the afeedback forum.

I second H&B Forge. For ~$60 you can get a tough, hand-forged hawk that also holds up a bit of an edge. Traditional versions if you're throwing, polled versions for camp work, even spiked versions if that's what you want. I got a thrower and was completely satisfied with it; I'll probably be back for more sometime in the future.