Which 3V knife to buy?

I am ready to buy another knife and it will be in 3V. Narrowed the selections down to Bark River and Survive Knives. My question to the forum, is there a big difference in the two companies 3V? This will be a camp, chopping, wood working, survival, and hunting knife. 5"-6" blade required.

Survive!:) the difference is an insane amount of quality control. Guy won't let anything less than perfect reach you, unless you get a second and even then. It's only a minor blemish of some sort.

I think both BRK and Survive! use Peter's Heat Treat for thier blades so there is probably not enough difference between the two to sway your decision one way or the other. Do you prefer convex or V grind?

Survive!:) the difference is an insane amount of quality control. Guy won't let anything less than perfect reach you, unless you get a second and even then. It's only a minor blemish of some sort.
+1 I purchased a GSO5 2nd/blem and I couldn't find anything wrong with it not a single mark anywhere.

Well, this isn't exactly true. I had a 7/7 reach me with a blunted tip from the factory. He was great about it. Sent it in and he sent it right out with a very pointy tip. Just saying no company should be held to perfection.

I'm partial to Bark River but you can't go wrong with Survive! It is more a matter of taste IMO. The 3v I have from BRKT has been all I expected.

Availability may be a concern if you're looking to have the knife sooner than later. Bark River turns out hundreds of knives per week and tries their best to fill in distributors with the most popular models. From what I have seen fromm Survive you have to get in on their pre-order and wait. You could also go to the BST forum here and buy one second hand, I'm not sure if that is a factor for you.

From my experience and from what I have seen with Bark River's 3v, it's been a great steal and they make great knives with it. Their Bravo 1.25 and 1.5 fall right into the size you're looking for.

I like Survive knives (have the 5.1 in 3V), a bunch of Bark Rivers, and they are all nice knives.
Another one to consider is Koster - not sure what the ethics are here, but DLT has a bunch of his 5" field knives in stock (I have no association with them, other than being a satisfied customer).
Can't go wrong with any of these options.

I'd go SK! out of those two for sure, but I'd suggest you go the Fixed Blades Exchange here & just get a full custom in CPM-3V. I love SK! knives, but my favorite 5" Hunter/Utility knife is a custom I recently got there, for the exact same price as a 5.1, with pinecone/resin scales! There are a # of smaller custom makers who work extremely well in 3V....3V has been around for a while now, & most fixed blade makers enjoy working in the stuff - your options truly are endless my friend - happy hunting!!

Cold Steel Master Tanto 3V DLC or Medium Warcraft Tanto or AK-47 field knife
13QBNa.jpg

13Ta.jpg

CS14AKVG.jpg

Last edited:
or Cold Steel Master Hunter in 3V if 4" is not too short (not sure the actual length). Nothing wrong with those choices and CS is relatively affordable.

I just finished another batch of 3V knives. It's becoming my favorite steel. Higher HRC's will increase wear resistance but decrease impact toughness. Slight differences would be hard to notice in practice though - it's just tough all-around and makes great hard-use knives. Good luck! :)

You could wait until Nathan Carothers (maker on the forums) has more of his utility knives for sale. Or Big Chris, another maker on here. I have one of Nathan's and a couple by Chris and have been quite happy with their performance. I like the idea a "buying local" to an extent as well.

Not the best pic, lighting isn't optimal right now, but gives you an idea of size.

You could wait until Nathan Carothers (maker on the forums) has more of his utility knives for sale. Or Big Chris, another maker on here. I have one of Nathan's and a couple by Chris and have been quite happy with their performance. I like the idea a "buying local" to an extent as well.

Not the best pic, lighting isn't optimal right now, but gives you an idea of size.

Is the one one the left from Nathan? Seems like he's got his 3v down pretty darn well

Survive! Knives certainly makes better products than bark river. bark rivers grinds are not wobbly and not perfect With the potential over heated edge from factory. There's a lot of custom knife makers here that offers competitive prices using 3v.

Back