Which 3V knife to buy?

Survive! Knives certainly makes better products than bark river.

That would be your opinion, not fact, so let's not masquerade it around as such.

You could wait until Nathan Carothers (maker on the forums) has more of his utility knives for sale. Or Big Chris, another maker on here. I have one of Nathan's and a couple by Chris and have been quite happy with their performance. I like the idea a "buying local" to an extent as well.

Not the best pic, lighting isn't optimal right now, but gives you an idea of size.

Yup! If I was in the market for a hunk of 3v I would got to Nathan The Machinist, Big Chris, then BRKT. And in that order. Budget option would be the CS master hunter.

I'd go with Survive! personally.

There are waaaay to many makers of more traditional looking knives I'd rather buy from before Bark River.

Also, I'm extremely interested in this 3V knife.

IMG_1129.jpg

I too would really like to get one of Nathans knives, my big Chris blade in 3v is a top performer and an absolute laser.

Dan Winkler's belt knife in 3v (tad edition) is and has been an excellent performer as well, the big Chris blade is a better cutter as its ground thinner and is harder while the Winkler is thicker and more utilitarian.

Both have their place, 3v has been my favorite steel for awhile now. I'm not aware of a steel more corrosion resistant that maintains 3v levels of toughness AND edge retention. Really a great steel.

So my votes are: Winkler belt knife in 3v, big Chris , Nathan the machinist.. Not in any particular order.

Survive! GSO 5.1 is an awesome knife. Feels and cuts like a dream. A bit of a waiting period though. VERY SHARP!!!

I'd go with Survive! personally.

There are waaaay to many makers of more traditional looking knives I'd rather buy from before Bark River.

Also, I'm extremely interested in this 3V knife.

...(pic of super mora)...

I agree with all of this, including the knife in the pic, although I'd prefer a S!K GSO-4.5. I'm surprised no one mentioned Koster above (EDIT: dogrunner mentioned him in post #9 above)

What is it? Link?

"Sigmora" Sigma 3 "Super Mora" handmade by Koster: http://shop.survivalschool.us/the-sigmora/

To the OP, GSO-5.1 all the way :thumbup:

Last edited:
I agree with all of this, including the knife in the pic, although I'd prefer a S!K GSO-4.5. I'm surprised no one mentioned Koster above...

To the OP, GSO-5.1 all the way :thumbup:

See post #9 :) Beat ya to it. But these are all great recommendations - Survive, Big Chris, Nathan, Koster are not only first-rate knives, they are also reasonably priced for custom quality. Bark River is good and lots of choices (including some sold under different "brands"), and CS on the budget side.

Back