Which Contego?

Hello all,

Being this is the Benchmade lovers forum, I figured this is the best place for questions regarding their knives. So....

I have a bit of disposable income (a rarity I assure you) and have been racking my brain between several Benchmades. I got a 710 a few months ago and debated getting another one I like it so much. So between that, the 943, the Rift, and the Barrage, I think I have finally narrowed it down to the Contego.

I don't want serrations so the choice has to be between the gray Cera-cote and the black Cera-cote models. I generally don't like coated blades so I am leaning toward the gray. I have seen some internet drama about the "clear" coat being really gray. My question is, does the gray in any way shape or form resemble an un-coated blade, or is it very clearly a gray colored coating? Its very hard to tell from pictures and I don't have any locally to hold. I am not totally against the black, but I like the back-spacer and hardware of the "clear" better also.

Also, which one wears better? I would guess that as the gray one gets scratches/wear it would not be as noticeable as the bare metal against the black. I may be way off on that.

Any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks gray to me, think they even call it gray now. When it scratches you won't see the contrast between the steel as much as you would with the black. If scratches bother you then coated blades may not be the way to go, especially the BK and Cerakote which don't hold up anywhere as well as DLC.

I have a grey cerakote plain edge in CPM-M4. It is a definite grey color, and doesn't look like a satin finish. It wears very well in my opinion. Scratches and scuffs tend to blend in to the finish.

I have a D2 full size griptilian with a black blade, and the finish has held up well, but deeper scratches are more visible than on the grey finish. The black finish also seems to fade with use.

Too bad you can't get 810-1401. M390 in plain uncoated blade really shines...

Top one...
WP_20140719_001_zps95fea018.png

^^^ I really like how you swapped the blades looks great :thumbup: Not a fan of the blue/black G10 or the silver hardware.

I love the 810. I would put the 810-1401 at the top because M390 is my favorite steel but I like the gray/black and black/black CPM M4 models equally. Since M4 isn't "stainless" because the Chromium % isn't high enough it's coated but I personally still like the color of both. The gray cerakote seems to hold up better than the black though when you start using them.

I don't really mind scratches that much, I just thought the gray may blend a bit better when/if they do occur. How smooth is this coating? I have heard its the same that Emerson uses, but I don't know if that's true or not. As long as its not the rough type like on my Izula I will be happy with it. Thanks for all the replies. I think I am leaning toward the gray, unless someone has a good reason otherwise ;)

I have the 810 in black coating with the combo blade. Its in M4 steel. I do not prefer the combo blade or the coated blade but it was a gift, and a nice one at that so I carry it despite wishing it was a plain edge. I understand in M4 the coating is necessary to prevent corrosion. The coating on mine has held up surprisingly well. Its my only coated blade so I was concerned how it would hold up. It has ridden in a pocket with car keys and a speed strip holding .38spl rounds for quite a while now. The coating has not scratched though the keys have rubbed off some brass on the finish giving it gold color. It wipes off with a rag and takes a week or so to come back noticeable. I don't have an empty pocket so the keys and speed strip will just have to ride with it.

I usually have a Leatherman or Victorinox on me as well so most light cutting tasks go to one of them. My Contego has very little actual use, just a lot of carry so I can't comment on how it holds to real use. Reason being my Leatherman and Victorinox sharpen up very easily and i touch them often. The M4 steel is probably going to be a bear to sharpen when the time comes so I prefer to keep it sharp as long as possible.

By the way I feel its worth mentioning, my Contego had by far the best factory edge on it of any knife I own. Very even bevels, polished nicely and razor sharp for an edge that thick. My Griptillian by comparison had a very pitiful factory edge that required immediate reprofiling.

The 810 is a great knife and carries deceptively well despite its large size and weight. You will enjoy it.

The 810 is a great knife, I got 2 before the prices jumped. It is really smooth and tight, better than many customs. The M4 is great steel and holds an edge very well.
The coating is really not needed. I have many non-stainless steels and none of them rust with minimal care. The Grey Cerakote will scratch and be removed with normal use, but will not be as noticeable as a scratch in the Black. One of my 810's had a pretty rough finish but it was easy to buff smooth without removing the Cerakote. I would love to see this knife come with an uncoated M4 or with a DLC coated blade.

I would say get the black. They are both going to get scratched up. I think the black goes better with the rest of the knife. And the clear realy is grey.

I have the KW exclusive 810-1401 in Satin M390 w/ blue/black G-10 and love it. My ONLY complaint is that I wish the G-10 texturing was more aggressive. Maybe its just mine idk. Heard the regular ones have texturing that's TOO aggressive for many, but honestly I'd prefer that. But yea its my favorite knife. I've beat it up pretty good and really shows no noticeable scratching and the blade is just as sharp as when I first got it. Extremely sharp! And I've used it to strip (and accidentally cut through plenty of copper wire) among cutting other things that would dull or chip a lesser blade

How is that blade shape for stabbing/piercing? It looks very thick.

It is thick, but it tapers to quite a sharp point. It looks like it would be strong while still being a sharp poker. I haven't really poked anything with mine except some thick cardboard. Crappy cell phone pic, but you get the point.

image_zps472af80b.jpg

And I actually like the reverse tango blade profile despite the way it looks. It gives a sharp, strong tip while still having a good cutting belly. Here is my Contego next to my other carry knife, a Griptillian. You can see how big a beast the Contego is.

image_zpse17d440d.jpg

The satin is obviously a gray coating, like everyone else has said. The blade is a decent stabber, although I haven't stabbed meat with it. Just wood. It is comparable to stabbing with the Adamas, which it is sometimes compared against. The gray coating holds up about as well as the BK coating (or whatever it is called), maybe a little better, but it is going to scratch over time. It doesn't show wear as bad as black. It is smooth on mine, about like BK. I believe the black of the Contego is Cerakote just like the gray, just the different color. Finally, IME, the 810's M4 is no harder to sharpen than any other steel. The grit in standard whetstones and the ceramic stones that I use are harder than any steel anyway, so I just sharpen normally. I can't even really say it takes particularly longer. But that is just from my experience with the 760, which I have heard rumors about being run a little softer than the Contego. It isn't noticeable in the edge-holding between the two, though. HTH.

Thanks for all the info guys. Unfortunately, I have learned enough to be torn between the Contego, Stryker, and Barrage :(

I would opt for the M390 Contego. If there's a choice between coated M4 and uncoated M390 that would be my choice. Between this, the Stryker and Barrage, the Stryker's the most attractive. I like Strykers because they're a smaller package overall, but as advice, if there's a place somewhere close that sells these go in and try them out. I've been surprised over the years at just how a knife in photos looked either larger OR smaller in person.

That would be best for sure. I don't think anyone around me carries all those models. Based on stats alone, the Barrage and Stryker should be roughly the same size. Not sure I want a assisted blade as I love flipping the Axis-lock closed. Plus I don't like the covered pivot.

I cant tell you how many times I had the Contego of both colors in the cart. Not to mention barrages of all flavors and a couple of others. I finally pulled the trigger on the Contego and went with the gray finish. As much of all the good things I have heard about the Contego, what really sold me was the lack of criticism (with the exception of the harsh handle, but I don't mind that). Thanks again for all the help. Now I cant wait for it to get here.

Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the Contego today. Awesome fit and finish. I think my 710 came a little sharper, but its still slices paper and will shave hair without pulling too hard (just barely). Very light feeling for the size. I haven't done any hard core cutting, but I like the texture and jimping as is. Overall I am impressed. Thanks for the help guys/gals.

I have the grey as well. You will absolutely love your new 810! And, for whatever reason, the edge looks extremely polished next to the grey. Like almost chrome. Maybe that's just the m4 steel, but regardless, I can sit and admire my gorgeous edge for hours.

Back