Which filters to get for this 3M 6800 full facepiece respirator?

Hey guys, I'm lookin to get this very well priced 3M full face respirator off of Amazon however I'm not sure which type of filters I should choose to buy for it. Of course you all know what most knifemakers need protection from, things such as steel dust, grinding belt dust, G10/fiberglass, carbon fiber, micarta etc.

About have way down the page that the respirator is for sale on (on Amazon) is a chart with a list of the different types of filters/cartridges that are compatable with this model. It shows 8 different types of filters and also lists which each type is good/meant for. It lists the types of breathing hazards there are and which cartridge is good for each tpye of hazard, but it mainly shows things like gases, vapors, acids, etc, etc, etc. The only "hazard" on the list that seems to have any relevance with the type materials I'm gonna be working with is "particulates." Other than that I'm not sure what else I should look to be protected from...?

Anyway, here is the link, and if anybody with more experience with respirators could please check it out to see what I'm talkin about and tell me which filter would be sufficient (because I really don't want to pay more that I have to, I'm pretty broke) for my needs, I would realy appreciate it. I need to get this soon because I've been only using those disposable 3M white masks and I know that's not sufficient.

(The filter chart is just a little less than halfway down then page) http://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator..._indust_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0H24PKEJPD70JKDCEDK3

Also, one more quick question. The 6800 model is the medium size and the 6900 is the large size, I have no way of test fitting these and I am 27 years old, 5' 11" and about 180 lbs with a normal sized head (not big) lol. I was wondering if anybody else here has had any experience with this particular mask and if the 6800 would be a good size? There is also a small size btw, the "6700". The reviews on them say that there is a lot of adjustablity, but all of the reviews are the saem for each model and just copied andpasted to each models page.

Thanks alot for any and all help! :)

-Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you only need a full face for liquid, paint or epoxy type work? A half mask with impact protection goggles should suffice for everything else?i use the 4000 series half masks even for light welding and they are very easy to breathe through and as comfy as something like this can be.

Its a great price though.

Simple guide: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...ZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=CHFilterFitSheet_GB.pdf

Hardcore guide: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/639110O/3m-respirator-selection-guide.pdf
Respirator Filter
Definitions
3M 42 CFR 84 Filters
N-Series Filters: These filters are restricted to use in those atmospheres free of oil aerosols. They may be used for any solid or liquid airborne particulate hazard that does not contain oil. Generally these filters should be used and reused subject only to considerations of hygiene, damage, and increased breathing resistance.
N95 Particulate Filter -At least 95% filter efficient when tested with ~0.3 μm NaCl aerosol.
N100 Particulate Filter -At least 99.97% filter efficient when tested with ~0.3 μm NaCl aerosol.
R-Series Filters: A filter intended for removal of any particle including oil- based liquid aerosol. They may be used
for any solid or liquid airborne particulate hazard. If the atmosphere contains oil, the R-series filter should be used only for a single shift (or for 8 hours of continuous or intermittent use).
R95 Particulate Filter -At least 95% filter efficient when tested with ~0.3 μm DOP (Dioctyl Phthalate) aerosol.
P-Series Filters: A filter intended for removal of any particle including oil-based liquid aerosols. They may be used for any solid or liquid particulate airborne hazard. NIOSH requires that respirator manufacturers establish time-use limitations for all P-series filters. 3M recommends that in atmospheres containing oil aerosols, P-series filters
should be used and reused for no more than 40 hours of use or 30 days, whichever occurs first, unless the filter needs to be changed
for hygiene reasons, is damaged, or becomes difficult to breathe through before the time
limit is reached. When used in atmospheres containing non-oil aerosol, 3M P-series filters should be used and reused subject to conditions of hygiene, damage and increased breathing resistance.
P95 Particulate Filter -At least 95% filter efficient when tested with ~0.3 μm DOP (Dioctyl Phthalate) aerosol.
P100 Particulate Filter -At least 99.97% filter efficient when tested with ~0.3 μm DOP (Dioctyl Phthalate) aerosol.
Oil: Any of numerous mineral, vegetable and synthetic substances and animal and vegetable fats that are generally slippery, combustible, viscous, liquid or liquefiable at room temperatures, soluble in various organic solvents such as ether but not in water.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that the medium 6800 fits about 90% of people. I also bought it without being able to try it on and it fits great. I use the "3M 2097 P100 Particulate Filter with Organic Vapor Relief" when working with steel and then switch over to the "3M Organic Vapor/Acid Gas Cartridge/Filter 60923" when working with micarta because it protects agains .formaldehyde

Thanks, yea I know all ya need is a half face piece, but I've used them with goggles and safty glasses etc. and they are too uncomfortable and the glasses, or goggles fog up. This way I have eye and lung protection. I'm not sure which of those are compatable with this 6000 series respirator, and that's what I'm trying to figure out. I just wanna know which filter will work for what I need (grinding steel, fiberglass, carbon fiber, micarta etc.) and is also compatible to this particular mask. Like which filter from the list "compatable" filters on that amazon page should I get.. ya know? Thanks for the reply though! Appreciate it! :)

-Paul

Thanks el0147! That's what I wanted to know. I appreciate it man! Do those work with g10 as well for protection against the fiberglass in it?

-Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are pouring resin (making micarta) or painting which releases gas, a particulate is all you need.

When grinding micarta or g10 or carbon fiber no gasses are released, only tiny particles. (particulates?)

Unless you are pouring resin (making micarta) or painting which releases gas, a particulate is all you need.

When grinding micarta or g10 or carbon fiber no gasses are released, only tiny particles. (particulates?)

Actually when grinding those it releases a small amount of formaldehyde.

Maybe you are grinding in your barn with a 40 mph wind, maybe in a basement of a new insulated and super sealed house

And
If you do good prep for glue up, you are using acetone, then have some fumes from the epoxy

No harm in having that OV orgainic vapour or formaldehyde filter, it's just a bit of active charcoal.

Actually when grinding those it releases a small amount of formaldehyde.

Maybe you are grinding in your barn with a 40 mph wind, maybe in a basement of a new insulated and super sealed house

And
If you do good prep for glue up, you are using acetone, then have some fumes from the epoxy

No harm in having that OV orgainic vapour or formaldehyde filter, it's just a bit of active charcoal.

Oh ok, I didn't know. Thanks.

So you're saying that the "3M Organic Vapor/Acid Gas Cartridge/Filter P100" (60923) will be sufficient? Thanks Count :)

-Paul

Last edited:
So you're saying that the "3M Organic Vapor/Acid Gas Cartridge/Filter P100" (60923) will be sufficient? Thanks Count :)

-Paul

Yes

but

I know North has snap on holders and prefilters

See if you can get them for 3M too, they give you longer life by keeping out most of the dust.
I don't see them.

Right on, Thanks a bunch Count and Matthew, that's exactly what I wanted to know! :thumbup: :) One more question, for Matthew and or the Count, would getting the filter in the second link that Matther posted work well with these prefilters? And would they be good for the steel dust etc.? http://www.amazon.com/3M-5P71PB1-Se..._indust_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HRAPN8SP13BXDS4WXSP

I really wish I knew more about how respirators worked otherwise I would't be asking all these "simple" questions :eek:

Could I just buy that one cartridge for G10/micarta that Matthew suggested for the nasty vapors and keep putting those pre filters on top of the main filter to filter our the steel and dust? Or would it would better if I just got those two different types filters that Matthew posted, one for the steel dust etc, and one for the G10 and micarta as well as buy the prefilters for those? Because I wouldn't want to waste those more pricey specialty vapor filters on steel dust if it would be more efficient to get the round filter in the first link Matthew posted and switch the filter for w/e I happen to be working with.

Hope that makes sense, I'm just trying to be COMPLETELY thorough before I spend what little money I have and only buy ONCE :D Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it! :)

-Paul
www.youtube.com/Lsubslimed

Last edited:
Right on, Thanks a bunch Count and Matthew, that's exactly what I wanted to know! :thumbup: :) One more question, for Matthew and or the Count, would getting the filter in the second link that Matther posted work well with these prefilters? And would they be good for the steel dust etc.? http://www.amazon.com/3M-5P71PB1-Se..._indust_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HRAPN8SP13BXDS4WXSP

I really wish I knew more about how respirators worked otherwise I would't be asking all these "simple" questions :eek:

Could I just buy that one cartridge for G10/micarta that Matthew suggested for the nasty vapors and keep putting those pre filters on top of the main filter to filter our the steel and dust? Or would it would better if I just got those two different types filters that Matthew posted, one for the steel dust etc, and one for the G10 and micarta as well as buy the prefilters for those? Because I wouldn't want to waste those more pricey specialty vapor filters on steel dust if it would be more efficient to get the round filter in the first link Matthew posted and switch the filter for w/e I happen to be working with.

Hope that makes sense, I'm just trying to be COMPLETELY thorough before I spend what little money I have and only buy ONCE :D Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it! :)

-Paul

The flat pancake P100 filters fit under a welding mask, If I have some that's why I have them.

I use the combo OVC P100 filter so I know that it's always there and I don't have to change back and forth when I use some solvents
by the time I would have to switch, I'd forget and then it's a messy change over.
It's a set it and forget it for me to use the combo cartridges and the prefilters -- mostly to keep light fluffy handle dust out.

I can't say for sure, I use North masks not 3M

It looks right, it's the same idea as the North

But I buy a mask in person at a safety supplier so I get the right fit and matched accessories.
After that, buying replacements online is easy.

this filter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHLRC/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this retaining cap
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Filter-Ret..._sim_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CCMG8Z4EYAXPM3GN3EC

this prefilter

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Replacemen..._indust_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=08QKHPGM95AH5HK7NPFN

check part numbers or with store people to make sure those all work together.

Every time you put it on, you will do a fit check.
The small hole in that prefilter retaining caps allows you to seal the filter with the palms of your hand to do the test - handy.

It's impossible to do a suction fit test on those flat pancakes

Last edited:
Honestly I don't worry with prefilters. I use both types depending on what I am doing, and honestly I probably use the respirator more than most folks, as I work in the oilfield doing nasty work. At work the filters are supplied to me but for knife making/shop/school use I just have the four pack of pink round filters on subscription. One pair lasts me a lot longer than it takes the next round of amazon subscription to show up so I usually end up delaying it several times before I actually have to get new ones. So that long winded diatribe boils down to my recommendation of a 3m 6800 medium, the two pack of pink p100 round filters, and a pack of the organic vapor/p100 filters. If for some reason you end up with a mask that doesn't fit then you can exchange it with amazon for the right size no problem.

Awesome, I appreciate it guys :) So I went ahead and ordered the 6800 mask and a pair or those $20 cartridges in the above link as well as the 4 pack of the pancake p100 filters. I was going to get the 10 pack of prefilters with the retaining cap but the total price was just a bit too $$ for me at the moment, even though only an extra 20-25 dollars, I'm on a tight budget right now, or always.. :eek: Also, in the reviews for the pancake filters I saw at least one review of a guy who was using those for formaldehyde protection, not sure that means it's smart but I'll get by for now.

I wanna thank you guys again for helping me figure all this out, much appreciated! :) :thumbup: Take it easy fellas!

-Paul

Not to high jack thread but what is rule of thumb for when it's time to change filters? Something to look for or just when you think?
Justin

As far as I have read, when it starts getting a bit harder to breathe then it's time to change, but that is still pretty vague IMO. I'd also like ta hear what other members here have to say about that :) Good question :thumbup:

-Paul

The pink p100 filters have nuisance level organic vapor filtering which quite honestly would be fine for g10/micarta fumes as honestly we don't generate enough for it to actually be necessary to have a true blue OV cartridge according to OSHA but I prefer to be overkill. Which is why I suggested the $20 dollar filters for when you are grinding anything that produces OV. As far as when to change its not nearly as vague as you think. Trust me you will know when its is hard to breathe. :eek: :D

The pink p100 filters have nuisance level organic vapor filtering which quite honestly would be fine for g10/micarta fumes as honestly we don't generate enough for it to actually be necessary to have a true blue OV cartridge according to OSHA but I prefer to be overkill. Which is why I suggested the $20 dollar filters for when you are grinding anything that produces OV.

As far as when to change its not nearly as vague as you think. Trust me you will know when its is hard to breathe. :eek: :D

That's how I tell,

Back