Which grinder?

sell your guns...wife...car.....gold...watch whatever...and get the best.....you will never regret it....and you will always regret buying a cheap machine.....look around for a used one......rob a bank... (no dont do that....just a joke) ask hillary about what futures shes going to buy next.

I'm not a knife maker, so I don't know if what I have to say is really relevant. But, I bought a Sears 6X48 belt grinder with nine-inch disc back in 1964, and used it off and on until a couple of years ago when I swapped it for a custom knife. This system is good for flat grinds. I currently use a Bader BIII. I have also had the honor of visiting at least 200 knife makers shops all over North America and in many countries in Europe. Many of these guys' grinders have been features in Knives Illustrated, and they should give everyone an idea of what is being used, and how. Finally, I feel a beginning maker should buy a used belt grinder for starters. It's a lot cheaper, and you get something that will do the jobs you need.

Where do you find those used grinders, Bud?

I'm a new knifemaker and have just begun the search for good equipment. Not much luck so far. I'd rather buy used equipment to start until I can afford the good stuff and know what I'm doing. But where's a good place to start your search.
So far I haven't found too many industrial grade grinders advertised in the paper or at garage sales.

WHERE IS A ROOKIE SUPPOSE TO START LOOKING FOR THAT NEXT STEP UP FROM A SEAR'S SPECIAL?

Used Knifemaking machines are in short supply because most knifemakers go on making knives well after normal retirement and when they retire there is usually a lineup to purchase their equipment. The only alternative is the used equipment market, ask for a "small belt sander" because a knifemaking machine to these people is a form of surface grinder.

If you go this route be prepared to be flexible. I have purchased a 2HP baldor buffer and added a backstand idler and contact wheel. This is my basement machine and does both grinding and buffing. My main machine is located at the shop and is a 7.5HP buffing machine with a backstand idler and a contact wheel, a real monster but effective.

When I get the new machine built it will allow me to convert the baldor to buffing full time, one buff on each side.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

G'Day one and all. I'm new to this forum, and to knife making. Having read all the posts in this forum and some of the others, I contacted Grizzly through their website and inquired as to whether they had a Canadian outlet for their 2x72 grinder, where I might go to buy one. I live in Toronto. They Replied that they did not, and furthermore, they didn't ship to Canada either. They do ship stuff to Alaska and Hawaii however, which leads me to wonder if they have any idea where Canada is. Perhaps they think its in Asia or Africa or in a different galaxy. Beats me. Little do they know that I could sue them under the terms of the free trade agreement and make them send one here. I wouldn't of course, but it makes me wonder all the same, why a company with a costly product to sell would skip opportunities to do so.

Some companies are a little paranoid about dealing with customs declarations, bills of lading,etc and will not try to export because of it. The other concern is payment in jurisdictions in which they have no presence but if they get cash before shipment there is no problem.

Whatever the reasons the company has a little education could resolve the problem.

------------------
george
www.tichbourneknives.com
sales@tichbourneknives.com

I've been using the 2x42in Craftsman since last Thanksgiving. I've made some fairly decent knives (for not having ever done anything like this before)! I, too, am looking for a source for better belts. I ordered a catalogue on-line. Yeah, the Craftsman does have it's limits, but I've done pretty good with it.

If you're interested in my knives, let me know and I'll email you some scans. Or, better yet. Someone tell me how to post them on the forum!

TTFN,
Tony

Back