Which handgun to get?

Greetings!

Although I live in Denmark where it’s illegal to own even a CO2 gun without a permit (im-possible to get, BTW!), it’s possible to shoot pretty much anything up to 9 mm/357 if you are member of a shooting club.
I just joined one (and I am a truly lousy shot, to be honest!:) and decided it’s too boring shooting cal. 22 indoors, even though it’s cheap! That means getting a 9 mm. of sorts. I am thinking about someting like a Glock 34 or Beretta 92FS. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
The best
Bo

The Glock is the simpler gun to operate, having fewer controls and no exposed hammer.

The Beretta 92FS will be the more accurate of the two, most likely, and its action is extremely smooth.

The Beretta's a larger gun, however, and depending on the size of your hands you might be happier with the Glock ergonomically. I'll admit I'm prejudiced; I love the Beretta, and I've never fired a more comfortable gun.

-Razor

------------------
me-4.jpg

AKTI #A000845

I like the Glocks, HK's and Sigs a little better than the Beretta 92, but some of the new, more streamlined Berettas are pretty sweet. I have an older Beretta in 9mm corto (.380) and it is a nice little pistol. Pick what fits you best if your main use is casual target shooting.

Don't give up on those .22's. The more you shoot, the more you'll grow to like them for simple fun. Two of my favorites guns are S & W Model 17 and 41.

DPD.

[This message has been edited by DPD (edited 06-07-2001).]

Go with the GLOCK, no questions asked.
And as far as accuracy goes I think it will give that Beretta a run for it's money!
wink.gif

---------------------
Chris

Take it from a host of professional firearms instructors...get the Glock. 66% of American Law Enforcement agencies can't be wrong.

Mike
NYS Certified Firearms Instructor
Glock Instructor
Glock Armorer

------------------
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, It's the sudden stop at the end.

Or take it from the United States military, whose issue sidearm has been the Beretta M9 for many years.

biggrin.gif

-Razor (who likes the Glock too)

------------------
me-2.jpg

AKTI #A000845

[This message has been edited by Razoredj (edited 06-07-2001).]

Forget those two, get a Desert Eagle!!
biggrin.gif

Razor, they have been using it for years, but the Glock is far more reliable.

------------------
My mind may not be sharp, but my knife is.
The Truth is out there. Go out once in a while and look for it.
Don´t let my Spyder bite you.
Always try to keep your mind sharper than your knife.

Thanks to you all for the input!

I think I will go with the Glock 34, although I love the feel and look of the Beretta too!
The Glock felt absolutely perfect in my hand and I know from experience with knives, bikes and other stuff, that if it doesn't feel right at first, it may never feel right!

Now comes the hard (1) and the very hard (2) part; 1: finding the cash and 2: how to get the wife to let me back into the house again when 1 is completed!:)

The best
Bo

I've never experienced any problems of any kind with my 92FEL, but I don't own a Glock, so I couldn't speak to its long term use. I'm sure it's a wonderful pistol; I'm just prejudiced in favor of the one I already own and enjoy. Plus I admit I'm not the biggest fan of internal strikers; I like a hammer I can cock or decock at will.

-Razor

------------------
me-4.jpg

AKTI #A000845

Razor,

My 9mm Glock 19 has over 25,000 rnds through it and is still goin' strong. My .40 M23 has 8,000 and still looks new. Several independent gun mags have tested the M17 to over 100,000 rounds without catastrophic failure. They're durable to say the least, once you put on some good steel sights or night sights.

Mike

------------------
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, It's the sudden stop at the end.

Either of those guns should treat you well. I've spent a lot of time with both your choices...the Glock and Beretta. Don't forget a Sig, though. They are simply outstanding. The two I choose to carry are a Glock 27 and a Sig Pro. A good 1911 from like Para or Springfield (or any number of other manufacturers) is a lot of fun as well.
smile.gif

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

SOGLogo3.gif

I will second Ron’s suggestion about the Para. I have a P14/45 Limited with an Optima sight. I have been shooting for 45 years and find this to be a superb piece. I have looked at the Glock but the grip is to small, I’m 6’6”. I have also heard, don’t want to start a flame, that large caliber Glocks suffers barrel micro fractures after extended use. I was told this by an FBI instructor and saw reference to this problem on a web site.

------------------
Knife Nut in "flyover country"

I own and shoot Beretta, Sig 224, Sig 226, Starfire (both plastic and steel). Like you, I wondered which to use, but had the opportunity to shoot all the popular 9mms.

I believe you cannot choose wisely without firing the weapon. I can't shoot straight with any Glock, but the Sigs are dead on. And the little StarFires are excellent in my hand.

OTOH, my son shoots well with Glock and I've seen others do well with them, too.

It depends upon the combination of you, your hand, and the gun. Don't spend your money before you try a few guns.

And once you do buy one, clean it often. It's surprising how important a little residue can be -- even to the point of jamming an excellent (clean) weapon.

[This message has been edited by MarcV (edited 06-08-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DPD:
...Don't give up on those .22's. The more you shoot, the more you'll grow to like them for simple fun...</font>

Couldn't agree more. Great for improving trigger control, breathing, etc. And cheap to shoot. At our club, the swagger patrol all have Desert Eagles, or similar, and wouldn't be SEEN picking up a .22! And most of them couldn't hit a barn door consistently. OTOH, all of our top competitive shooters regularly pick up a .22 to practice and just have fun.

------------------
Holger :c{{{&lt;
AKTI Member No: A001324
CKG-F
-----------------------
www.cockroachfarm.com

My favorite is the Glock 19; just fits my hand best.
View

and

My wife's favorite is the Taurus 92 (as good as the Beretta and cheaper).
View

Go with a GLOCK

Actually I like them both.

Get a S&W 41 too.
smile.gif

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 06-09-2001).]

Thanks again for all the help! A friend of mine who shoots a Beretta 92 Brigadea offered to let me use it for a while to see if that would be the right thing.
Don't know yet if it is possible (gun laws here suck!), but it would be great to try it out.
I need to find a place to try out the Glock too. I agree completely, that no money should be spent before the right gun has been found! I'll try not to rush into it and take the time to find the one that fits!
As for the .22's, I haven't given up on them at all! I just like being outside better than in the basement of the sports center where the indoor range is!
Shooting 22 is great and very cheap practice!

The best to you all
Bo

Back