Which knife to buy? Rookie alert!

Hi BF fam,

First of all I want to clarify that I recently got into the knife game. I acquired a Benchmade Bugout AXIS Lock Knife Black CF-Elite (3.24" Black) 535BK-. After my purchase I realized I need to add a Para 3 to my EDC. Now I understand how the sprint runs are very limited and at this time I can get the following. I just want some opinions as to which knife you would add next.

Spyderco Para 3 Maxamet, Dark Gray G10 Handle C223GPDGY

Spyderco Para 3 Blue G10, S110V Folder C223GPDBL

Spyderco Para Military 2 Brown, Black Blade, S35VN, Limited

SPYDERCO PARA MILITARY 2 CPM S45VN SPRINT (C81GPFGR2)

I am located in Toronto Canada and we have wierd laws about importing knives hence I am limited to certain websites. I also don't know my knives enough to purchase off this forum.

Additional info: my grail

PARA MILITARY™ 2 BLUE G-10 M390 BLACK BLADE EXCLUSIVE C81GBLBK2

Any insight would be appreciated.

L.C

The Bugout and the para3 may be redundant as IMO they serve very similar purposes

The PM2 may be a better choice to pair with a Bugout

the BBS DLC M390 would be my pick in the one you listed.
Easier to find and very good blade steel for every tasks

This being said the para 3 Maxamet is my favorite small edc
As long as you don’t make food prep this steel doesn’t corrode that much and you will cut trough stuff forever ;)
The only issue is that for the para 3 you may have to get a deep carry clip which add to the cost

Welcome to Blade Forums and welcome to the sickness!

Are you certain all those options are currently available? Spyderco sprints usually sell out quickly. Two of the models you listed are Paramilitary 2, which is a bigger knife. Maxamet and S110 can be tough to sharpen.

I’d just buy the Lightweight Para 3. I never could warm up to the G10 versions of the Para 2. The Lightweight version is basically a CQI and an all around better knife. Cheaper too.

iyoqktf.jpg

maybe it can help
Para 3 Maxamet with deep carry clip
Ranger Green Bugout
PM2 s110v

It can become a madness, be careful. (serious)

For example, what will the Para 3 do that the Bugout won't? Look for something that fills a niche that you haven't filled yet.

...but maybe you will turn into one of those collectors who gets a lot of similar knives with similar abilities. I like a well-rounded collection better. Here's an idea for the start of your collection, along that line of thought:

[ ] Small locking folder
[√] Medium size tactical folder
[ ] Large locking folder (something big enough to cut up fruit)
[ ] Plier-based multi-tool
[ ] Medium Swiss army knife
[ ] Small Swiss army knife
[ ] Large Swiss army knife?
[ ] Good chef knife (don't laugh, with a chef knife, you get to use it ALL THE TIME, rather than just fantasize about using it!)
[ ] Small fixed blade knife?

The Bugout and the para3 may be redundant as IMO they serve very similar purposes
Agreed.

This being said the para 3 Maxamet is my favorite small edc
As long as you don’t make food prep this steel doesn’t corrode that much and you will cut trough stuff forever ;)
That's a needless worry. Uncharacteristically for me, I splashed out for a Maxamet Native; wanted to see what 70 Rc was like. It's amazing. Spyderco's factory grind is good and narrow, so all mine needed was a short time on the Sharpmaker to put the wider angle and finely-honed micro bevel on the factory edge. I've used mine for cutting up food here and there, and the stain/rust concern is unfounded. All I do is wet a napkin and wipe the blade off after use, then dry it on a dry part of the napkin and it's good to go. No rust, no stains. It's a LOT more stain-resistant than 1095 carbon steel, for example. Also more stain resistant than D2. It's just not enough to be considered stainless.

... Maxamet and S110 can be tough to sharpen.

...But you only have to sharpen it once! ;-)

I also don't know my knives enough to purchase off this forum.

What? All you do is look for the knives you want, it’s that simple. There’s always like 5 dozen PM2/PM3 for sale in there at any given moment. People are basically buying those things to give them away. It’s not rocket science, it’s a sales forum :D

There’s always like 5 dozen PM2/PM3 for sale in there at any given moment. People are basically buying those things to give them away. :D

I am certain there is some running joke that I am missing on this forum, wherein folks are keeping the FS:Folders forum full of Spydie PM's on purpose.

"Hello Knifecenter, Velitrius here... Send me a BM Adamas, and throw in a couple of PM3s I can put up on the exchange... it's getting low."

Fellow newbie here, my first knives were the para3 and cf Bugout. I like the Bugout more but can’t see how you can make a mistake either way. I say go for the one that makes your heart sing more, you’ll end up there eventually anyways...

Do you sharpen?

If you don't, I suggest you pursue that first. There are a ton of options. Explore the MTE sub-forum.

But steels like Maxamet and S110V require knowledge and the proper tools to maintain.

The Para 3 in BD1N would be nice to practice sharpening and is a good steel.

BF Fam,

WOW! So much love and so much insight. I am quite an active member in watch and fishing forums and I cannot express how different it is on here. Speechless. Thank you all. By the sounds of it I may be in over my head in my second purchase and could be rushing it a little bit? The knife monkey bit me and I simply can't get my mind off of getting a Spyderco in as my second knife to start my humble collection.

Couple things that I took in consideration that I want to address with the answers above....

I am certain these models above are available with the websites I do shop at that ships within Canada.

I do not understand blade steels much but I know I don't want to get duplicate steels since I already have S30V.

I plan to sharpen my own knives but by the sounds of it it's an art of its own that I might want to bring to a professional if I do get a harder to maintain steel.

I definitely agree that I should get add a different knife that fit into a different niche in my collection.

Main use cases for my EDC carry; opening boxes and mail.

With all that being said, I think I've narrowed down to PM2 as it is a large tactical vs the Bugout I already now.

Ya? Haha I still need y'all to give me that ONE recommendation.

Hi BF fam,

First of all I want to clarify that I recently got into the knife game. I acquired a Benchmade Bugout AXIS Lock Knife Black CF-Elite (3.24" Black) 535BK-. After my purchase I realized I need to add a Para 3 to my EDC. Now I understand how the sprint runs are very limited and at this time I can get the following. I just want some opinions as to which knife you would add next.

Spyderco Para 3 Maxamet, Dark Gray G10 Handle C223GPDGY

Spyderco Para 3 Blue G10, S110V Folder C223GPDBL

I am located in Toronto Canada and we have wierd laws about importing knives hence I am limited to certain websites. I also don't know my knives enough to purchase off this forum.

Additional info: my grail

PARA MILITARY™ 2 BLUE G-10 M390 BLACK BLADE EXCLUSIVE C81GBLBK2

Any insight would be appreciated.

L.C

Hi LC welcome to the forums! You know what they say about opinions, your gonna get a lot of em on the forum. Mine would be to do some research and look at getting a good sharpening system before you buy any more blades. Once you can sharpen your own knives I'd suggest getting a pm2. It will be a good companion to the bugout. Also with regard to steel I'd just get a S30v without getting caught up in the hype of sprints. Most people using knives don't need super hard or fancy steel. With normal use what you will notice most is if it corrodes easily, chips or is difficult to sharpen. Like I said before if you get a sharpener its no big deal to touch up a edge. If spending more for a rare steel makes you feel happy than do it! Otherwise it comes down to handle color or material. There are plenty of scales you can swap out on your blade if you so choose. Just get a set of torx and watch a Nick shabbazz you tube for a disassembly. Since you live in Canada with iffy laws, I'd shop on the forums individuals section to find a preowned pm2. That way you can get a blade for cheaper and you can have the seller tighten the pivot all the way down so customs doesn't take it. Cheers!
Edit: Op addressed most of this in prior post.

Last edited:
We have a rather limited number of places to buy knives, and I suspect it will become less sooner rather than later. However, the basic models of the PM 2 and Para 3 are available up here as well as some "fancier" versions (at a significantly higher price). Whatever you choose, as well as to whom you buy from, I recommend that you do not buy from outside the country as we have a problem with our border patrol helping themselves to anything trying to come into the country.

Do you sharpen?

If you don't, I suggest you pursue that first. There are a ton of options. Explore the MTE sub-forum.

But steels like Maxamet and S110V require knowledge and the proper tools to maintain.

The Para 3 in BD1N would be nice to practice sharpening and is a good steel.

Takes knowledge, proper tools, and a willingness to participate in the funtion.

I have the knowledge and proper tools and I still avoid those steels like the plague.

Give me some VG-10 and the bottom of a coffee mug any day.

Don't be intimidated by sharpening. Do NOT pay someone to do it for you; that's for pansies. Learn how to do it yourself; it's low risk and a lifetime purchase.

Get a Spyderco Sharpmaker. All you have to do is keep the blade vertical; it's easy.

For your second knife, how about a Victorinox Super Tinker? The blade steel is soft but VERY stainless; it will absolutely not rust or stain. When you dull the blades, you have practice on the Sharpmaker. They're quite easy to sharpen, too. You'll also have tools on hand, which is damn nice. Lastly, they're about $35, so it won't break the bank either.

Sharpening is fun if you are patient
It is more about taking the time to do it properly than “difficult”
If you train you will not be hard to get the right move and to have some good results after some time ;)

I think we are close gents. To many of your points instead of getting redundant knives, get a knife that fills a void as basics of my collection so I have narrowed down to two knives.

With thst being said, I feel like the sprint run is going to be rarer and wins there but love the black 35VN blade but hate the brown G10. However I handled the green g10 scales which is super grippy to any pants when pocket carrying and not a big fan of that.

Lastly, I have watched a lot on the art of sharpening and think I'll practice on an old Gerber hunting knife I bring onto my fishing trips. The sharpening realms is a world of its own.

Can y'all reply with which knaf you would move forward ward with out of the two?

I would buy whichever is cheapest. Black blades scratch and stop looking "cool" and start looking beat up after a short time of regular use. You can always dye brown scales to a dark blue or black.
Honestly, for what you said it will be used for, you don't need anything more than S30V. The Sprint runs (to me) are a way of getting folks who already have the base model to buy more of the same thing, but with a twist.
If I were you, I'd buy the base model PM2 and use the money saved to by a decent combination sharpening stone. I would recommend a 300/1000 grit stone, or a DMT coarse/fine diamond plate. $50-$100 (USD) will get you something that lasts for years.

I'd go with the PM2 because it's significantly bigger than the Bugout and can do bigger jobs when needed. IMO Para3 and bugout are almost the same.

Another great reason is that PM2's are available for a song these days, even sprint runs. I wouldn't settle for anything less than M390 though. It's worth it.

Back