Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

aRbN47A.jpg

BTW, I also just received a gray-handled Spyderco--first one I've seen. And a very bizarre delivery.

I not only buy one knife, but I get a "spare." The first Spyderco I recently bought had a black handle and was made from S30V. The second one that arrived had that gray handle and the ricasso stated the knife was made from "Maxamet."

I am not complaining, I assure you. I got two differing knives and that's simply gravy to a collector. I put the Maxamet model in my jeans so I can do some slicing and see just how she slices.

If anyone has such a knife and some insights and suggestions, I'd like to hear them. I want to know what to do with this alloy and what not to do. Thanks.

Well, yes, I am old enough to know all the forum rules! The number one rule I learned was, "If there isn't a picture, then it never happened."

Okay, I spent a good deal of time trying to photograph my new Spyderco without the annoying flashes of light. Even this photo--taken in my darkened living room--has some glare.

But that is indeed my new Spyderco, it has that gray handle and the alloy is Maxamet. Sorry, guys, this is the best evidence I can provide.

Edit: BTW, that bevel is darn good for a factory rendition.
upload_2020-2-14_14-30-31.jpeg

To TheFactor, I would be grateful for a report on that knife's handgrips. I have never handled one with those "frosted translucent" style grips. Do they offer comfort and a 'sure' grip, or do you feel they are simply made to enhance popular, pricey folders?

To TheFactor, I would be grateful for a report on that knife's handgrips. I have never handled one with those "frosted translucent" style grips. Do they offer comfort and a 'sure' grip, or do you feel they are simply made to enhance popular, pricey folders?
I’d be more then happy to help with your question. It’s a G10 cover/grip and other then be translucent it’s no different then any other G10. The differences between different knives with G10 handles is the texture they machine on it and the shape of the covers themself. Contouring on the edges and how it fits in your particular hand makes a big difference. The Shaman feels very secure when in hand and the covers have very nice contours to avoid any hot spots in your hands when gripping tight. Spyderco did a fine job with the Shaman and it’s Very comfortable in hand.
Hope that helps

TheFactor, "Spyderco did a fine job with the Shaman and it’s Very comfortable in hand.
Hope that helps."

Yes, thank you. It helped quite a lot. I think many "avid collectors" inspect every 1/8th inch of a knife's blade, and then the question of the grips waits for another day. My dad was an engineer for The Master Lock Company, and he wanted craftsmen to be able to work devoid of cramps and injuries--the things that 'brass hats' usually ignored. If a rank-and-file employee was still breathing he was technically expected to to meet the day's quota, be that male or female, sick or healthy.

Many of these folders will find the pockets of policemen, firefighters and soldiers. I believe those people should get the best.

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-15_13-9-38.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-15_13-9-38.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 16
  • upload_2020-2-15_13-9-55.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-15_13-9-55.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 13
Maintenance time
LW PM3 Maxamet
61RfhTXl.jpg
I have pondered doing this myself (putting a maxamet blade in a LW body), but the action on it right now with the regular grey scales is just too great to bring myself to take it apart. Best action on any compression lock I own.

Back