1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

"White Owl"... 3.5" Equal End... from GEC

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by supratentorial, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Txjohn

Txjohn Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 24, 2013
    The one that started it all IMG_7065.jpg

2. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    The first one!! Nice, John!! I had to have one also (post #130)!

neal70 likes this.
  3. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Love these knives, especially the rare stainless birds. I had one of the dark chestnut in my stable at one point... Custom quality knife.

Will Power, 2Dead and neal70 like this.
  4. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Likewise, Charlie!

neal70 and waynorth like this.
  5. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks for the mention Will :) Here's a group shot of my 4 with Will's Light Tan before it made the trip to him. I couldn't resist taking a group pic while having them all in one place
    [​IMG]

Dr-Mabuse, Kiro, Pjake and 19 others like this.
  6. 2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    And while my stainless ones are all clip mains, my carbon ones have spear points.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

neal70, tmd_87, Will Power and 7 others like this.
  7. 2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    I still don't have a #35 but I did take this pic years back with a #33, #53, #68, and #89. I imagine the #35 will fit right between the #53 and #68.
    [​IMG]

Dr-Mabuse, neal70, Will Power and 8 others like this.
  8. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Just send me some #68 and I can take a picture by #35 for you! ;) Lovely knives. Especially clips with nail nicks look very attractive to me.

neal70 and 2Dead like this.
  9. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Thanks, is that 53 a T.K. Cuban? I keep coming back to that as one I’d like to try but they seem to come up fairly infrequently and when I have seen them I have passed for one reason or another. I like the blades on the 53/54 but I have only had moose ones and would rather have a small blade and single back spring, I had a presidential but didn’t care as much for the spear point and wharncliff combo.

neal70 likes this.
  10. traumkommode

Dec 3, 2015
    Is that walnut every bit as fine and perfect as it looks?

Here is a lineup with a 68, a 35, and a 53:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

neal70, Dschal, tmd_87 and 9 others like this.
  11. 2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes it is. I will say that it is slim for a #53. Both blades are ground thin and swedged where they would have met each other to allow them to nestle nicely together without touching. The spring tension is perfect for the main blade and its easy to open but pen blade is a different story. Because its shorter on the same spring and very thin, the nail nick is very shallow and its harder to open. It feels like an 8 but if the nick was deeper or blade slightly longer, it would be better. Still a very nice pattern though and worth trying out if you can get one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    neal70, Dschal, tmd_87 and 3 others like this.
  12. 2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes. Yes it is :D

Awesome lineup shot!! The #35 does fit in quite nicely.

neal70 and waynorth like this.
  13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Amazing selection!:cool: I see you have a twin of my Tortoise Conductor, and once again many thanks for helping me out over that stainless WO all those years ago :thumbsup:

Just got to find a Rust Red Spear, used preferably;)

Regards, Will

neal70 likes this.
  14. traumkommode

Dec 3, 2015
    Ah. Well, you don't seem like the type of collector who let's knives go, but if you ever do, I want that one ;)

I'm honestly surprised that the 68 hasn't been a more prolific pattern. It is every bit the knife the 15 is in use while leaving a slightly smaller footprint in pocket, and the white owl makes two blades accessible to those who are otherwise turned off by a side-by-side jack.

Will Power and neal70 like this.
  15. neal70

neal70 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    @waynorth -Gee, Charlie, the single springs or 2 blades would sure look good with an awl like this wouldn’t it?:D:D:D 135B31B7-2175-4F7D-975E-D6FA04DA6B57.jpeg Thanks, Neal ;)

Dr-Mabuse and ISKRA like this.
  16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Would also look great with a small Pruner or Hawkbill at the other end:cool:
    Never been done before so it's not Traditional.....for now;)

neal70 and traumkommode like this.
  17. traumkommode

Dec 3, 2015
    @Will Power didn't SAK do a knife like that? I'm pretty sure the Calf Pen also wasn't a "traditionally" employed blade combination... Your idea would at least bring it into the same realm as the Chapman.

neal70 likes this.
  18. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I was attempting to get the spots to show in the sun... good day to all PhotoPictureResizer_190821_114951658-3024x2268.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_190821_115321148-2268x3024.jpg

peanutsxx, ISKRA, Dr-Mabuse and 4 others like this.
  19. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    They sure did!
    [​IMG]

20. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Yes that would be just right in a White Owl frame :cool::thumbsup:

I've got another SAK with a Pruner blade but it's a multi blade type. Really like that one you show though, wonder if it's still made??

Thanks, Will

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    neal70, JohnDF and traumkommode like this.