Who all uses traditional archery?

I was reading a thread where one of the other member's made a recurve bow in the Workshop area and it got me to thinking. How many of us use traditional archery for hunting? I have used a compound bow in the past. I can remember only two people that hunt with recurve's in the last twenty years. Everyone else has used a compound or maybe a crossbow that I know. My uncle and one of the guys I used to work with were the two that both used a recurve bow. For some reason in mind all the compound bows I have shot, probably between 6-10 different models, have all been easy enough to use even the one's with a 70 pound draw weight. But the few traditional bows I have attempted to use have been absolutely awful to me. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Recurves (and occasionally longbows) are all that I shoot. Haven't shot a compound since I was a kid.

The reason that compounds are "easy enough to use, even with a 70lb. draw weight" is because compound bows have a high degree of let-off. Traditional bows do not. One of the most common mistakes people make when switching from compound to trad is buying a bow with similar poundage to their compound. Drawing and holding all of 70lbs. is a lot different than initially drawing 70 lbs. but then having 80% let-off.

Because you do not have a mechanical release, stabilizers, sight pins, etc. traditional archery is entirely dependent on excellent form and technique. Shooting traditional really takes a year-round commitment, imo. Even though I have been doing so for years, I still find that if I don't shoot for a while, it takes practice to get my form and accuracy back. So I practice year-round, typically shooting at least 2-3 times a week - outside every chance I get, and 10-yard range in the basement during the winter months, just to keep my form and technique in good shape. I wouldn't say that this is as essential with a compound - I have friends who have become ridiculously accurate with them, at longer distances than I would ever choose to take a shot with my recurve, within a week or two of practice, without ever having shot one before.

For me, traditional archery is matter of the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

I love tradtional archery. I shoot a Bear "B" Mag riser, off the shelf, three finger release. Nothing wrong with a compound; it lets alot of folks that can't get the hang of recurves or long bows the opportunity to enjoy archery.
I like to make bows as well.:thumbup:

Lifelong recurve shooter here as well. I tried a friend's compound once but couldn't get the hang of it. It had sights, arrow rest, etc. I shoot instinctive like throwing a rock. Draw and release is all one motion so the letoff of a compound is disconcerting to me. I shoot old Bears and Pearsons off the shelf. Bare fingers, no arm guard, but I do use a nock point for consistancy. I learned to shoot in the sixties when Fred and Ben were the kahunas to look up to.

You'll probably never go back if you find it enjoyable. Nothing to rattle loose, or go out of adjustment, not to mention, with a good set-up, deadly quiet.:thumbup: IMO, speed with a compound is all well and good, but bad habits are magnifide as the speed increases. With recurves, the game can't "jump the string" if they don't hear it.:D

I've been thinking about going into recurve. I don't like lugging a big clunky compound bow around.

You'll probably never go back if you find it enjoyable. Nothing to rattle loose, or go out of adjustment, not to mention, with a good set-up, deadly quiet.:thumbup: IMO, speed with a compound is all well and good, but bad habits are magnifide as the speed increases. With recurves, the game can't "jump the string" if they don't hear it.:D

I was thinking about starting with a Samick Sage. Anyone got other ideas or comments?

Oh, I don't know. I'd suggest buying a cheap used bow, flinging a bunch of arrows with it to see if you wanted to upgrade. But that is just the old cheap Codger speaking. I bought several bows at pawn shops and yard sales for $20 or less. Just coon eye and chicken finger them to be sure they aren't twisted or delaminated. They don't bring much now on the resale market because of the shallow demand.

Longbow for me. That's a Howard Hill Halfbreed 60@29. Yes, my elbow is high.

20111215_ac_0004.jpg

---

Beckerhead #42

Recurves (and occasionally longbows) are all that I shoot. Haven't shot a compound since I was a kid.

The reason that compounds are "easy enough to use, even with a 70lb. draw weight" is because compound bows have a high degree of let-off. Traditional bows do not. One of the most common mistakes people make when switching from compound to trad is buying a bow with similar poundage to their compound. Drawing and holding all of 70lbs. is a lot different than initially drawing 70 lbs. but then having 80% let-off.

Because you do not have a mechanical release, stabilizers, sight pins, etc. traditional archery is entirely dependent on excellent form and technique. Shooting traditional really takes a year-round commitment, imo. Even though I have been doing so for years, I still find that if I don't shoot for a while, it takes practice to get my form and accuracy back. So I practice year-round, typically shooting at least 2-3 times a week - outside every chance I get, and 10-yard range in the basement during the winter months, just to keep my form and technique in good shape. I wouldn't say that this is as essential with a compound - I have friends who have become ridiculously accurate with them, at longer distances than I would ever choose to take a shot with my recurve, within a week or two of practice, without ever having shot one before.

For me, traditional archery is matter of the more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

I agree with what you said on needing to have good form and technique when shooting traditional bows. I guess I have never been patient enough to stay with it to really learn the skill. And I do believe 100% that is a true skill when you can shoot a longbow or recurve. Also I believe the traditional bows look a lot better to the eye then most any of the compounds, but I'll have to stick with the compounds since that's all I can hit with.

I left the training wheels behind and never looked back. Recurves are great, but I like the longbows best. To start, the Samick bows are great buys. The Sage is as good an entry-level recurve as you'll find. The Verna is a good longbow. To spend a little more, any of the Martin traditional bows are as good as you'll get in production bows. But bows are like knives. Pretty soon, your going to want some made by the good custom bowyers.

A good coach would have you hitting a paper plate group in no time. After that you just nibble away at the bad habits.
I agree with what you said on needing to have good form and technique when shooting traditional bows. I guess I have never been patient enough to stay with it to really learn the skill. And I do believe 100% that is a true skill when you can shoot a longbow or recurve. Also I believe the traditional bows look a lot better to the eye then most any of the compounds, but I'll have to stick with the compounds since that's all I can hit with.

Shot a Martin Mamba for a while at 50 or 52lbs, have to shot instinctive where you just draw and release all in one motion. It is very fun, but trying to actually kill a deer with one can be maddening. It is extremely difficult. Everything has to go 100% right and they need to be close like within 20 yrds or you better be beyond good to make it happen any further. My 2 cents is unless you have a lot of time to shot and stay with it, you better stick with compounds. Unless you have a dream job, no wife and kids, its more of retirement type hobby in my opinion.

The riser on some of those compound bows probably weighs as much as a long bow. The long bows are simple, light, and if you have the correct draw weight easy to shoot. Try to develop the skill of instinctive shooting.

Recurve shooter since the beginning

895C9CD4-D21A-4D2F-9996-C95CBD3EAF3E-156-0000007508CB18E9.jpg

Here is a review I just did on a new bow

[video=youtube_share;8O5MFMPbZJM]http://youtu.be/8O5MFMPbZJM[/video]

I shoot a custom Reflex/Deflex Longbow. Wild Horse Creek bow, 53 lbs at 28". My glove is an American Leathers "Full Shot" glove. My back quiver is a quiver made by skystrom leather. Love Love Love Traditional Archery.

kestrel big.jpgquiver.jpg

I hunt recurve soley. Never was much good with anything else, well maybe a shotgun. Right now I have a Greatree Deerslayer, 50# at 28", and a Bear Archery Super Kodiak, 55# at 28". I love the Bear SK, smoothest I've ever shot. I use an American Leathers Wet Shot glove. Right now I'm using Gold Tip 5575 Traditionals with VPA 250gr. Terminators up front for hunting, VPA 250gr. Small Game Thumpers for stump shooting and for, well, small game. I moved up in poundage and grain weight after some advice from other forumites. Getting great shelf clearance now. Oh, and be careful where you hunt. Some places, like in Massachusetts, Vermont and others are such beautiful countryside, you may end up wandering for hours just checking out the scenery.
For practice, I go to a small field behind the apartment complex and either shoot stumps, or I'll fill empty rice bags with dirt and shoot them. Tampa Archery is nice, but I don't like driving all the way there. Outside shooting is the way of it, especially if you plan to go hunting in the future. Get used to the sun in your face, learn to adjust for wind changes and just to be outside and soak up some vitamin D.

Longbow for me. That's a Howard Hill Halfbreed 60@29. Yes, my elbow is high.

---

Beckerhead #42

nice howard hill, I got the opportunity to shoot an older howard hill longbow that had a 90# draw....I wasn't able to draw it,as I had been drawing a 45 lb recurve and I was 15....

I personally shoot a vintage bear kodiak magnum 48, a pearson recurve, and just got a The Centaur "Mustang" reflex deflex that I haven't got to shoot yet.

the bear is a 48 inch recurve, really maneuverable and fast, stacks a lot though, it is a 45# pull. I bought it off a friend that was leaving it strung because it was a pain to unstring....and he stored it outside.....

the pearson I have is i believe around 56 inches, Don't know the model, but it shoots great at 45#

and the mustang bow is a curiosity to me, I haven't been able to find another like it.

I usually shoot some beeman carbon arrows that have wood grain on them.

one of these days, I am gonna pick up a proper longbow (probably a bear), to round off my collection. I won't hunt with my traditionals, because I am not confident I can put the arrow where it needs to be. I have a compound bow that I will hunt with if I ever start bow hunting.

oh, and here is a pic of The Centaur "Mustang" it draws at 55#

7390008692_bf052c667e_c.jpg

nice howard hill, I got the opportunity to shoot an older howard hill longbow that had a 90# draw....I wasn't able to draw it,as I had been drawing a 45 lb recurve and I was 15....

I personally shoot a vintage bear kodiak magnum 48, a pearson recurve, and just got a The Centaur "Mustang" reflex deflex that I haven't got to shoot yet.

the bear is a 48 inch recurve, really maneuverable and fast, stacks a lot though, it is a 45# pull. I bought it off a friend that was leaving it strung because it was a pain to unstring....and he stored it outside.....

the pearson I have is i believe around 56 inches, Don't know the model, but it shoots great at 45#

and the mustang bow is a curiosity to me, I haven't been able to find another like it.

I usually shoot some beeman carbon arrows that have wood grain on them.

one of these days, I am gonna pick up a proper longbow (probably a bear), to round off my collection. I won't hunt with my traditionals, because I am not confident I can put the arrow where it needs to be. I have a compound bow that I will hunt with if I ever start bow hunting.

oh, and here is a pic of The Centaur "Mustang" it draws at 55#

7390008692_bf052c667e_c.jpg

Hey Crazy, I shot the Bear Montana Longbow. A real sweet shooter, something you definitely want to check out.

Back