Who among you has cancelled your cable tv, satellite tv, etc.?

I've never had cable or satellite, there is an antennae outside on a tower.

We get 7 over the air broadcast stations.

I've been at friend's houses and they have more channels, but it's all just reruns and BS anyway
four or five hours in a row of a tv show that gives out parking tickets or tows cars.

I don't care for the change to digital
The reception got worse, static, stuttering, dropped out audio.

Being in Canada, we get shafted on Hulu and similar sites " this is not available in your area"

I found I can watch full episodes of many shows on the internet when I want legal and free using the official network or channel websites.

How can I justify paying that much for TV WITH commercials when , it amounts to a car payment, or savings account deposit, or early mortgage payment, or really nice whatever

Youtube has many interesting and real people developing their own content and I prefer to connect with some of them, maybe learn something at the same time.

No cable or satellite for over two years, Don`t miss that monthly bill. Netflix, and hulu are enough.

No way I ever will. I don't watch reality shows, but other than those I find there are more good shows on than ever before.
I also like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO GO.

I do like darker PG or R rated comedy and drama's, and don't miss the old mostly G rated TV at all.
But the one thing I would miss the most would be live sports, and especially College Football.

I did drop my cell phone plan a few years ago to help pay the cable bill. Doesn't work in the valley I live in anyway, so I just keep one of those you can add minutes to in the truck in case of emergency. I think I've used it twice.

Last edited:
I have been a DirecTV customer since it's inception (20 yrs? and at approx. $105 @ mo fees at present with constant increases and declining customer service) and am currently evaluating (since 12/13) a combo of the Mohu Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna and Roku 3 Streaming Media Player with Play-on and Play-later (streaming & recording pay content) as a possible replacement throughout the house.

With an initial investment of approx. $300 in hardware not counting computer(s) (for everything for two home theater systems) so far so good but am still deciding on whether to completely sever the DirecTV connection. Roku's channel content is vast and there are new "plug-ins" (channels) almost weekly but it is still a little glitch prone when used wirelessly and is dependent on how good your home network/internet service is...as well as your computer's performance. It's definitely a viable alternative and presently could save me over $1000 a year even with a few pay services but am not sure if the streaming technology is quite there yet for problem free viewing and getting all the programing I necessarily want?

It's pretty good though and am guessing I'll probably switch over completely in the next 3 to 6 mos...once I can get everything working properly and find a good way to capture some of my "must see" programing that currently eludes me through streaming.

Since I work for a cable contracting company I keep my cable turned on, although I will admit that if I didnt have a DVR I wouldnt have cable at all. To me the DVR makes it worth the monthly cost.

6 years without cable. I missed it for about one week.

Last year my local cable service had an offer of tv and internet for like $30 a month for six months so I signed up. I watched maybe 20 minutes of cable tv in six months and took the box back the day the promotion ended.

I get 16 HD channels with my rabbit ears, and Netflix and Amazon Prime is $16 a month so I am set.

I have never owned a TV let alone cable.

On demand services like netflix are the way to go if you need your TV fix.

An aerial antenna really helps.

Yeah, the flat 8"x11" (more or less) RCA antenna I have is not that great. I can receive everything, but have to move it around to get every channel. And with digital, you either get 100% reception or zero.

I haven't had cable for a decade. Anything I want to watch is easy enough to stream. I watch basketball games online through espn3, tv shows and movies are available online as well. I really don't see a reason to spend $1000 per year for cable.

I feel there is no value in pay television, far to expensive for what were getting. If I didn't want the sports channels I would cancel.

I canceled my satellite a few years ago. I had signed up with DirectTV. They came to my home to install their equipment and discovered they couldn't get proper lines of sight (due to tree cover) so their very own installer called and canceled the account due to that fact. 2 weeks later, I received an "early cancellation fee" bill in the mail for nearly $500.00...and it wasn't even me who canceled the account!!! It took me 3 freaking months...and a call to one of the big-wigs...to get it reversed. The experience caused me to swear off all satellite and cable providers for good.

I'm Directv retailer In Chicago, Your situation sounds like installers fault. Did he checked the proper signal prior the installation? Or after he activated the boxes ? and than he realized he didn't have enough signal to pass activation ? Activate receivers before you absolutely 100% positive you can get great signal is big No No. Sounds like that was what happened . Of course Directv doesn't know about the situation what happened that day .They see it as new activation and than cancellation.
That's why the installer need to make sure there is Line of sight before he can do anything. The installer was idiot and you almost paid for his mistake. I'm sorry.

Other than that I don't watch Tv much but I like HBO documentaries but I understand that paying $60 just to watch HBO doesn't make sense for a lot of people.
And one more thing DVR now days is must otherwise the Tv is unwatchable .

I got rid of cable years ago. Netflix & the internet for me & zero regrets.

I have been years without cable/TV now. If I want to watch a movie, I watch it on my computer...

I haven't owned a TV since I left my folks house after high school. And I mixed audio for live TV for 15 years! (I didn't really fit in with that business, glad I got out.) With apologies to Sturgeon, just about everything on it is... not worth my time. The networks are still making a ton of money, but the writing is on the wall: people are cutting the cords and finding better content and value elsewhere.

I haven't had TV since last July. Not really by my choice - I was already paying out the nose, and was thinking of cutting TV anyway, but I fell behind on payments and they turned me off anyway. I still want to pay it off so I can get my cable internet turned back on. In the meantime I just my cell phone as a mobile hotspot for my internet.

I don't miss TV all that much. Although there's still some shows I'd like to watch, plus the UFC fights that aren't PPV, but it's not worth the money. I'll catch up on those shows once I get "proper" internet again.

In the meantime, I've been looking at words on paper or my phone that are arranged in such a manner that they form a narrative and tell a story. I believe they're called boks or buicks or something.

I've never had cable as an adult. I don't know why any one ever would either.

Kill your tv before it kills you.

Back