Who among you has cancelled your cable tv, satellite tv, etc.?

I built myself a home theater PC ( a fancy name for a dedicated computer hooked to my tv lol) and hooked it to my big screen. I watch youtube along with countless other free online shows and streaming services, i check emails, bladeforums and everything on my 70 inch. I think i spent about $400 on the computer initially and i haven't spent a dime on anything tv related since. That was about 4 years ago and i actually really like the home theater pc over standard cable/satellite, i get to watch what i want to watch instead of what someone else thinks i would like to watch. I would never go back.. EVER lol.

If you have high speed broadband access, are you really going without TV?

We ditched cable a while back and just picked it back up at 1/4 of the cost. You got too love the "customer retention" department. She asked my wife, "What do you want too pay?". :eek: We do watch Netflix a LOT and RedBox is our friend.

A few years ago we had it out with Verizon wireless and quite paying $120+ for cell phones! I thought I was doomed being without a cell phone. I don't miss it at all!! All day at work it is so peaceful!! :D

Now we use Basic Talk as our home phone and I can call anywhere for $9 a month.

I don't have a tv, just a laptop, connected to an external big monitor that is set up to watch movies.
Last time i had a tv, with cable, antennas, and similar stuff was more than 10 years ago, and i'm never going back.

Got rid of it more than 10 years ago, $8.99 a month to stream netflix is more than adequate.

Same here. I have 42 dvr settings between myself the wife and kid. If I have nothing to watch though it is pretty miserable. I would like to cut the cable and go the netflix/Hulu rout but don't have the Internet capability to support it in my area :(

My setup. Windows Mediacenter PC + makeshift antenna outside + X-BOX360 4GB to stream everything including live TV to the second room. Netflix subscriber, the rest - pay as needed once in a while. Cancelled cable TV last year.

Never had it. Years ago, my wife and I had a choice to make. Cable or an internet connection. We chose the internet.

Yes, cable would be nice for a couple of shows, but not enough to justify the cost.

Ric

The Rabbit house gets its teevee the old-fashioned way. I had to buy the digital signal converter and a fancy new antenna, but for only $60 I got to fire the cable company. I was surprised to find that the local channels now broadcast two or three different feeds, not counting the HD feed. I can always find something to watch...but it helps being a PBS junkie.

Ooooo. Cooking shows. :D

For phone, I have a cell phone plan that costs $30 a month. The internet bill (which I consider the luxury expenditure) is $40.

For movies, I just wait until long after they've come out and get them for a couple bucks apiece at the pawn shop...which I happen to visit regularly anyway, looking for swords to buy with the money I've saved by being cheap everywhere else

My girl friend and I are now almost 6 month without cable. We watch one episode of something off the computer in the evening and that's it. It's amazing how much time you have for reading, sharpening and bladeforums without it.

Reality television equates to cheap mass produced pulp. Who needs a scriptwriter? .I love tv but unfortunately the content isn't there to fill 1 channel let alone 80. Hence we arrive at honey boo boo .
When we moved here 14 years ago there was a skydish on the wall outside. Couple of weeks later a dude came to the door to flog me sky tv. After telling him several times i wasn't interested he left me some brochures.As he he left i suggested he take the dish with him because i was going to chuck it away. I did . I also chucked his brochures which he came back to reclaim after about a week.What a wally.
the thing you desire is the "Off Button"

We wanted to move to a nicer spot that offers us what we wanted. We had mega-cable bills before but cable was 6 months coming because of the new location. We never did opt for cable or satellite. We watch just as many premium shows for less money by renting/buying and streaming from the web. But since the fluff is out of our viewing diet, I have to say that our television consumption is at a much more refined level.

Wait a minute, all you guys cancelled your cable,right? That is just crazy. How in the hell are you gonna watch Nancy Grace? Inconceivable!!! :eek:

I would love to dump cable TV. I do watch it, but I tend to watch about a dozen possible channels versus the many that are available. There is talk of making cable more cafateria style and you pay for what you use. That would stop you from leaving your TVs on for hours without anyone watching them or paying any attention to them. It bugs me that I have to pay an extra fee for being able to what the Outdoor Channel and really only watch it once or twice a month at most.

It is all about money and competition. If the cable tv companies believe they could make more money offering the service ale cart, they'd do it. But I feel sure their revenue would probably drop at least 30% if this was available. 30% drop would mean closed businesses and no company in their right mind would accepte that if there is any other course of action.

I hear there is a new service that may be offered that is not dish or regular cable in the future. We'll see.

I would love to dump cable TV. I do watch it, but I tend to watch about a dozen possible channels versus the many that are available. There is talk of making cable more cafateria style and you pay for what you use.

That'd be great. I'd be happy with just the Fox channels (for UFC stuff), Discovery, History, and Cartoon Network (for Adult Swim). If I could get just those (in HD), for like $20-30/mo, I'd even spring for HBO.

Back