Who are the top production manufacturers?

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
Which companies are at the top of their game when it comes to production knives? I would say that Great Eastern is the best hands down in the overall category. Their infamous bear trap springs have gotten a lot better in the past year, and most of their offerings have gotten away from the slipjoint on steroids look they originally started out with.

For best productions made, I would have to go with the Case Bose annuals. I have three, the coffin jack, Tribal Spear and dogleg jack, with the Lannys clip on the way and a possible trade for a Norfolk. In my opinion, Case's standard production Bose models in CV and SS are an improvement over their standard line.

Hopefully Queen will make it to the big dance this year, I really like a lot of their designs, but they have some QC issues. I've only ever had one Canal Street, a Canittler. I've had a few Bokers, but they are not primarily slipjoint designers.

Is there really anyone else out there besides GEC, Case, Canal Street and Queen? Other manufacturers have slipjoint lines, but most are made by GEC or Queen.

GEC makes fine and interesting knives, I have more of their products than any other manufacturers. But for the "best" knives, I more often have been putting knives with A.G.Russell stamped on the tang in my pocket. Good steel, nice pulls, sharp out of the box. And the fit and finish may be second to the Case Bose collaborations, but I cannot see or feel any difference.

Rob

For best designs, most consistent quality out of the box, best customer service--AG Russell all the way. GEC may arguably make a "better" knife, they seem to have more QC issues as well. I've only seen a few samples of the Case-Bose collaborations; while they seemed well-made, I didn't come away with the impression that they were better-made than Mr. Russell's knives (and the rest of Case's production aren't consistently so). Queen's QC takes them out of the running.

Out of the companies I have owned, I would say GEC is the best. Then Canal Street. Case has been a hit or miss lately, though when I bought my son his Christmas presents (which happen to be all Case) they're were almost as nice as GEC.

For the money, it's hard to beat the quality and consistency of Boker.

Who does AG contract out to? Are the US made stamped slipjoints made by AG's shop like the Ruanas (I believe that AG bought their shop). I got one of the AG scout knives made in the US for my little brother, it was so nice I tempted keeping it. It is one of my little brother's favorites, along with his Benchmade balisongs.

I have read some good things about AG's Chinese made offerings. Supposedly they are the best deal out there right now.

It's funny, when I first read this thread I was going to say Moki because of my experience through AG Russell. I'm not sure who makes all AGR's Japanese folders, but in my experience the Spire (Moki), and the Pinched Peanut (not sure) are terrific knives.

I also agree with Boker's consistent quality in their Solingen slipjoints. Every one I have including those they made for others like Henckels are excellent. I'd also include Friedrich Olbertz for all the knives they make including Schlieper Eye Brand, Fightin' Rooster, Weidmannsheil, older Bulldogs etc.

Who are the top production manufacturers?

Which companies are at the top of their game when it comes to production knives?

Since you have not defined "top of their game", I'm going to throw in Buck knives. For working knives, which is their specialty, Buck gives highest price-performance ratio of any US manufacturer.

Last edited:
Hard to pass by a BUCK!! Buck supports America and they make a hell of a knife with a garantee thats amazing!! G.Sakai back in the old SEKI JAPAN days I think made all the old vintage SEKI JAPANS for AL MAR and SOG..(Hattori may have done some too).. I Japan made some neat stuff back in the day.. MOKI is used by the NEW AL MAR(Mr.AL MAR passed away unfortunately).. I must admit i love the old SEKI JAPAN stuff back in the day. I still collect it today!

Since most people think they are traditional, I say Victorinox Swiss Army knives are best. In terms of design, performance, quality, and value, they are tops in my book. I have and enjoy my Buck 309 and Case 32087, but their blades are not as well finished as an SAK's. They both cost more, too.

Yabut Vic don't make a stockman. I can't get excited about a company that don't make a stockman.

Yabut Vic don't make a stockman. I can't get excited about a company that don't make a stockman.

Well, I really like my Buck knives; I own more of them than SAKs. I wish I could be touting an American company, but what the Swiss deliver for the money is amazing; they are not some 3rd world nation with sweatshop labor, either.

Victorinox also has a very high and consistent quality level, especially for the price.

Case and GEC are tops for me. Both companies make superb knives. The Case/Bose collaborations are as good as it gets. The new Hay'n Helper/ Bullnose sodbuster GECs with 01 steel are fantastic. Canal Street makes pretty nice knives too.

GEC, Case, Queen, Victorinox, Canal Street, Buck, perhaps Boker. These are the ones I think are good, some better than others, and they are not listed in a particular order. I don't own current production A.G. Russell or Al Mar, so can't say much there except that the older knives they made are pretty nice.

Ed J

To get this off my chest,

We have cussed and discussed various driftings of manufacturers in fairly recent threads. The company I collect is under fire in the named forum at the moment.
I give everyone free choice in the knives they like and wish them the best, but in my own opinion it seems that what we talk about as "traditional" manufactoring values seem to be 'smeared' when a company gives in to tactical design and space age plastics, metals and epoxies.

I know that sounds like a an ole fart statement. But, this is the 'Traditional" forum. It seems to me when the wiz-bang plastic injected, powdered metal processes take over a large part of their business my traditionals suffer in quality and design. Holding on to the QC of the past, the all edges even, all bevels correct, sharp and just right spring tension efforts are slowly becoming things of the past. Much less high quality scale materials (jigged bone) and well pressed brass rivets.

So with that off my chest. I salute the manufacturers that continue to keep those values alive. My personal experience does not give me knowledge to name names with cofidence or authority. But it seems by your talks that GEC, Canal Street and as off-shore side bar SAK might meet thoses expectations. I will stay true to my collecting goals with my company, hoping for a last bone special before I might walk away an live only in the past........300Bucks

Last edited:
300bucks, I like Buck knives, I grew up with Schrades however, and don't have any roots with Buck. I hope you didn't take this thread as an attack on any companies not listed. I have a Buck 301 that I like, but I wish it could have been better made. The only other Buck I have is a bone handled 301X stockman, which is one of my favorite large stockmans. Flat ground, very precise. I would like to see Buck make a line of high quality stockmans like this. I appreciate the traditional slipjoint and lockback patterns much more these days, however, I also like brands like Spyderco, Benchmade and Chris Reeve Knives. I don't think there's anything wrong with going tactical in a blade's aspect, but believe that there is a little bit more life put into a slipjoint or lockback.

No attack on Buck, but the only ones I've seen that were top of the line, in my opinion, were the Bass Pro and Cabelas models. Not to go outside the realm of this subforum, I really liked the Mayo TNT collaboration I had and regret trading it still. I am not sure if the Bass Pro models are even still in production, although I saw some at a Bass Pro I visited in July. Let me note that I like S30V, but do not like the coated Cabelas blades.

This thread was not started to attack anyone or any company. I was requesting an assessment across the board on quality. Buck makes a fine working knife, at a good price. I would not hold their regular line in the same bearing as I would with GEC. More in line with Case. Actually, higher than Case in quality, but lacking in patterns and scales offered.

300bucks, I direct your attention here for my love of high quality, older Buck slipjoints. It appears both of us share this passion, not all were made by Camillus as you know. No hard feelings, we all are collectors and users alike here. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/786874-Buck-301BB-Buck-Bone

Last edited:
I have GEC knives, Case knives, Boker knives and an assortment of mixed American made old knives in my collection of Users. IMO the best bang for the buck is Rough Rider knives. Rough Rider is also about to bring out a carbon steel line.

Best regards

Robin

Back